Should the Steelers get rid of Antonio Brown?

AlNFL19

Antonio Brown  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Steelers get rid of Brown?

• Yes
    • No

Just think its comical what was probably the Best Trio in the NFL is going to lose two of those players in the same offseason because  of "FO/Locker room" issues.

Mindboggling considering what people were discussing this time last season about Ben, Bell and AB going into 2018 with SB aspirations.

Not saying it's not primarily the Diva in both AB and Bell rearing its ugly head but it also speaks volumes IMO also to that locker room and coaching staff. Specifically Tomlin for allowing that culture to exist and get to this point.

26 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Just think its comical what was probably the Best Trio in the NFL is going to lose two of those players in the same offseason because  of "FO/Locker room" issues.

Mindboggling considering what people were discussing this time last season about Ben, Bell and AB going into 2018 with SB aspirations.

Not saying it's not primarily the Diva in both AB and Bell rearing its ugly head but it also speaks volumes IMO also to that locker room and coaching staff. Specifically Tomlin for allowing that culture to exist and get to this point.

It's easy to say that but if you have superstars who create issues it's hard to handle that. If you punish them they will want out, if you let them do their thing they could get worse if they aren't professional. It's a fine line to walk with one high maintenance superstar and if you throw two or three on the same offense it's bound to become ugly at some point.

17 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

It's easy to say that but if you have superstars who create issues it's hard to handle that. If you punish them they will want out, if you let them do their thing they could get worse if they aren't professional. It's a fine line to walk with one high maintenance superstar and if you throw two or three on the same offense it's bound to become ugly at some point.

HC have been dealing with Divas for decades. Some better then others but the ones that are able, set the tone and stick to it. Tomlin allowed this to occur worried about rocking the boat, this is the end result.

Not holding players and their actions accountable. I know this new generation of multimillionaires  think the smitt dont stink, can't  touch me, etc, etc but so did Divas in the 90's and 2000's.

Difference being those coaches did what needed to be done , most of these coaches seem to be scared to death. Tomlin included.

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

HC have been dealing with Divas for decades. Some better then others but the ones that are able, set the tone and stick to it. Tomlin allowed this to occur worried about rocking the boat, this is the end result.

Not holding players and their actions accountable. I know this new generation of multimillionaires  think the smitt dont stink, can't  touch me, etc, etc but so did Divas in the 90's and 2000's.

Difference being those coaches did what needed to be done , most of these coaches seem to be scared to death. Tomlin included.

There is a difference between malcontents (Brown) and divas though. T.O. was high maintenance but he was still a team guy for the majority of his stays. Money (Bell) is a different thing and not much you can do about those guys, there are rules in place to let you sit out if you are tagged and he did and that was fine. He was immature about it once he held out and alienated himself through social media and his teammates did the same towards him. At that point they weren't considering themselves teammates (they weren't, he wasn't under contract). AB is disruptive ala Keyshawn and sometimes all you can do with those guys is just get rid of them even if they are superstars. You stick with them as long as you can because they are good but eventually the headache is too much and that is where the Steelers are with Brown.

Ben is the franchise QB and he has went through various issues from partying (to keep it nice and clean) to calling out teammates in the media. Not a good way to show leadership but I think that is what he was trying to do. Without Brown Pittsburgh is just like any other team. With Brown it is just too much.

21 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Ben is the franchise QB and he has went through various issues from partying (to keep it nice and clean) to calling out teammates in the media. Not a good way to show leadership but I think that is what he was trying to do. Without Brown Pittsburgh is just like any other team. With Brown it is just too much.

Kinda my point though, its starts with Ben and has been allowed since the beginning since his "partying days". So expecting Bell, AB, Santonio, Wallace, Burress etc to not follow suit, is asking to much IMO.

It's  a cultural/locker room thing in Pittsburgh. Has been for a very long time but ignored because  they were "winning". Alot harder to swallow/accept when your not. Which is the only difference between them and right now.

32 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Kinda my point though, its starts with Ben and has been allowed since the beginning since his "partying days". So expecting Bell, AB, Santonio, Wallace, Burress etc to not follow suit, is asking to much IMO.

It's  a cultural/locker room thing in Pittsburgh. Has been for a very long time but ignored because  they were "winning". Alot harder to swallow/accept when your not. Which is the only difference between them and right now.

Steelers came really close to making the playoffs and Brown was sat before that for a game that could have very well got them in. They won anyway but the Browns fell just short of winning to get them in. What you are saying isn't wrong but would you bench Brady because he was causing issues (he has)? Sit Rodgers for being disgruntled with his coach? It's great to have a franchise QB who is good in the locker room, on the field and in public/private but there are so few great QBs that you can only do so much. I'm not saying Tomlin has handled it the best but his #1 job is to win and the best way to do that is to play your superstars. I can't say if I were in his shoes I would have risked making them disgruntled against me after laying down the law because odds are if Brown/Ben both had a problem with me, their coach, I'm the one looking for a job. Tomlin is easier to replace than Ben/Brown/Bell. Maybe not now that it exploded and Brown is likely gone anyway, Bell is moving on and Ben is about to be rounding the 3rd base of his career but trying to nip it in the bud 4 or 5 years ago may have meant Tomlin is gone now. It isn't like he was dealing with mature superstars.

51 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

What do you mean by "allowed", exactly?

You're comparing apples to oranges here.

Ben has always been a baby and had a big mouth...and yes, for a few years he had some off field issues, but nothing that they could really punish him for (nothing PROVEN anyway).   So Im not sure what you expected them to do.   No team in the league would cut a franchise QB of Ben's caliber unless it was something huge that was proven beyond a reasonable doubt.     He was suspended for one ASSUMED violation of league rules.   Beyond that, aside from saying some stupid things, what has he done to warrant action?

Not sure why you brought those players up, since they are completely different situations.

Burress?   He never really got in trouble here, so not sure what this is about.  Plus, he was only here for one year with Ben.
Santonio and Bryant violated LEAGUE substance rules numerous times.
Bell wanted money, and also violated league rules multiple teams.
James Harrison was always an idiot, even before people knew his name.
AB was never an issue until 2015 or so, when his diva attitude started coming through.

Not saying Ben is any more justified, but you are comparing completely different situations, and it doesnt work.

Its several individual players acting like idiots.    You could certainly argue that those players have HURT the culture of the locker room, but its not the culture CREATING the issues.    

Who was the best WR in the last 10 years to win a ship? Alshon? Victor Cruz? Jordy Nelson? Santonio Holmes? Logically speaking, you'd think having an elite WR would give you a greater shot at winning it all but it almost seems like a detriment. Breaking the bank for a position that's easily most dependent on the field and most likely to turn into a diva/distraction, why would you continue to do it?

So yes, you easily get rid of AB and let him throw tantrums and try to build his brand elsewhere. You don't need that in the locker room.

Archived