Conference Championship Games

Leader

22 minutes ago, SAM said:

Saints and Pats, Battle of the Old Timers.

Rams and Chiefs, The Young bloods.

Unger, Watson, and Brees are I believe the only guys on that offense over 30. 

Demario Davis and Kurt Coleman on the defense.

Note I'm not looking this up. 

I don't think the Saints are old at all. they just have an old QB.

Adam Schefter‏:

Patriots went 3-5 on the road this season, which doesn't bode well for their chances today. Out of the 104 teams to reach the Super Bowl, only 2 of them (1.9%) had a losing record on the road in that regular season (2008 Cardinals, 2010 Packers).

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I really thought the Patriots played first for some reason. 

Me too.  From a weather standpoint, it makes more sense for the outdoor game to be played during the day and the dome game to be played in the cold darkness.  But, it's not football if players and fans aren't suffering some.

48 minutes ago, Leader said:

Kansas City weather: 23 degrees (feels like 16) partly cloudy. The Ice Bowl temperature record wont be challenged today.

These temps are a day in the shade in Green Bay :)

I heard that they'd modified the forecast and the podcast I was listening to was talking about "well, that's still cold!" - nah, in KC and NE, it really isn't. I'm in and out of the weather all day at work, and if you're moving around you can be very comfortable in a couple medium layers in 23 degrees, especially if it's sunny with no wind (which, minimal wind but no sun). The weather shouldn't be an option. Both these teams play in those temps all through December. 

11 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Me too.  From a weather standpoint, it makes more sense for the outdoor game to be played during the day and the dome game to be played in the cold darkness.  But, it's not football if players and fans aren't suffering some.

I've seen it a million times where the NFL schedule the outdoor game for the less weather-friendly time. Ratings and all but it would be better product if they took weather into consideration. But whatever, who cares about players and fans when there's money to be made. 

Rooting interest: Rams @ Saints - No beef with either team. I wouldn't mind seeing Brees win another ring; the Rams have dynastic potential, so maybe we in GB want to see them not get a lot of rings early. 

NE @ KC - as with many, I don't hate NE - I respect their greatness, and since I'm originally from Michigan, always rooted for TAHHMMMY and felt he actually qualified as underrated for the first half of his career. But I'm just tired of them. Regarding KC, Reid is an amazing coach who never gets respect; KC has been suffering with what, 2 playoff wins since 1969?; Mahomes is awesome. Wouldn't mind seeing KC/Reid get the monkey off their collective back. 

On 14 January 2019 at 2:16 AM, Outpost31 said:

It won't be.  The Saints are going to shut the Rams down.  Saints are the only effective defense left, and they're winning the Super Bowl.  Good for Brees, bad for our first round pick. 

I think the Chiefs have a good chance of outscoring the Patriots, but the Patriots could also just shut the Chiefs down somehow the way Belichick gameplans defense in the playoffs. 

The surest bet in these final two games and any potential Super Bowl matchup is the Saints beating the Rams, and I'd imagine pretty easily. 

I think the Rams are going to abuse the Saints and kill the Chiefs in the SB.

The Chiefs beat the Pats by 11.

Posted elsewhere, but I took a quick swipe at Reid's playoff record:

Reid's "choker" label is a bit overblown - he's 12-13 in the playoffs, and let's start listing "great coaches" who aren't Belicheck's win/loss record in the playoffs: 

Landry 20-16
Shula 19-17
Gibbs 17-7 (this is amazing)
Parcells 11-8
Bud Grant 10-12
Paul Brown 9-8 
Madden 9-7
Shanahan 8-6....

Aside from Belicheck (greatest NFL coach ever) at 29-11 (that's ******* ludicrous), Lombardi at 9-1 (whoa), Walsh (10-4) and Joe Gibbs, even the best coaches are a few bounces from .500.*

So, sure, his game management is wonky, but I think some of those Philly (and KC!) teams were teams that would've been about .500 and made it further than they would have without his coaching; AND on top of that "well, he's a game under .500!" is basically he's a few bad breaks from being in the same neighborhood as damn near every HoF coach playoff pct-wise. I'm looking at his teams on a year-by-year basis, and if you look at the rosters, several of those early aughts Eagles team leave you scratching your head as to how they even ended up above .500, and Reid has them in NFCCGs on the reg. 

*Noll and Johnson have exemplary w/l records, but I don't think anyone mentions them in "best coach in NFL history" convos - they seem to be "really good, maybe great coaches who got their mitts on an EXCEPTIONAL roster and rode them to multiple titles" - but hey, their rings count the same as anyone else's

Archived