Browns hire Todd Monken for OC

pwny

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Campen, Monken, and Wilks? Kitchens is putting together a nice staff.

Seriously.

I really think, though, that it has less to do with Kitchens himself and his connections to these guys (are there any?), but more so to do with these guys hoping to ride these coordinator jobs into HC gigs.

Monken should be a HC right now when you compare him to other hires, but the human garbage that calls itself Jameis Winston really messed up his 2018 resume and made it look worse than it should. Right now if I had to put money on who will be the hottest Head Coaching candidate a year from now, Id put it on Monken. Hes a brilliant offensive mind, going from coaching under Dirk Koetter, where Koetter probably did more harm than good to Monkens offense each week by just simply existing. He goes from Jameis to Baker. A puke-level run game to IMO one of the more talented backfields there is going into 2019. 

And Wilks of course simply wasnt given enough time to really get a fair evaluation of him.  Hes likely hoping that he will be going to a team that will allow him almost total autonomy on defense (which is likely) coupled with a bevy of talent on that side of the ball will get him another shot.

Unfortunately for Wilks, we are at a time where you have brilliant coaches, who are among the best defensive minds in football (cough Fangio), guys have 10-20+ years of NFL coaching experience, getting lucky to have one team interview them.

Meanwhile, someone who has almost no NFL coaching experience ,unless you include sniffing McVay's skid-stained briefs one time at the combine, got twice as many that we know of, and got hired by Cincinnati....Zac Taylor.

Fangio is 60, having coached for decades, while proving he can adapt to the modern NFL along the way by constantly fielding the best units in the league on D. Hes a brilliant coach and football mind. 

Zac Taylor (who the hell spells their name like that?), however, has this resume: 

Dolphins QB Coach for 2013-2015 - I can't say I was ever very impressed by Miamis QBs any of that time.

Dolphins interim OC for IIRC 5 games when Campbell was fired. He was underwhelming to say the least.

The OC and QB coach for the Cincinnati Bearcats of the NCAA for one year in 2016. The Bearcats' offense scored an average of 29 pts per game the 5 years before his arrival. In his lone season, he helped them....oh wait. No he actually was worse, coaching an offense that ranked in the bottom 10% of the NCAA and averaged 19 pts a game. A 10 pt difference. 

Then in 2017, he jumped back to the NFL to follow Sean McVay. And apparently Taylor was so impressive, that McVay made him the WR coach. Wait hold on. I meant the ASSISTANT WRs coach. He couldnt even get a job that Greg Lewis once held. But. ..Sean McVay!!!!

And this past year he was QB coach. Although, being that McVay is apparently the QB whisperer, and Goff didnt make some huge leap from last year to this year, Im not quite sure honestly what in the hell Taylor actually did for the Rams. Besides massaging Goff's throwing arm every day for him, ot bringing McVay In N Out Burger during late night meetings.  

This just goes to show how insane these owners are about this whole idiotic notion that theyre gonna find the next McVay. Because its not gonna happen. McVays don't just grow on trees. I mean, Pederson, Shannahan, and McVay are the modern templates for what you should want in your HC. Each in their own ways. But i also think those will be the three best HCs in the NFL 3 years from now. 

It just makes me feel bad for these defensive coaches, who are gonna be relegated to working under guys 20 years their junior with less experience than a wet fart. A defensive HC can 100% win a SB rn. But the problem will be that to do so, they'll need a really good OC, who would end up bolting for to coach the Titans or someone, the following year. 

Sigh. /rant

5 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

Seriously.

I really think, though, that it has less to do with Kitchens himself and his connections to these guys (are there any?), but more so to do with these guys hoping to ride these coordinator jobs into HC gigs.

Monken should be a HC right now when you compare him to other hires, but the human garbage that calls itself Jameis Winston really messed up his 2018 resume and made it look worse than it should. Right now if I had to put money on who will be the hottest Head Coaching candidate a year from now, Id put it on Monken. Hes a brilliant offensive mind, going from coaching under Dirk Koetter, where Koetter probably did more harm than good to Monkens offense each week by just simply existing. He goes from Jameis to Baker. A puke-level run game to IMO one of the more talented backfields there is going into 2019. 

And Wilks of course simply wasnt given enough time to really get a fair evaluation of him.  Hes likely hoping that he will be going to a team that will allow him almost total autonomy on defense (which is likely) coupled with a bevy of talent on that side of the ball will get him another shot.

Unfortunately for Wilks, we are at a time where you have brilliant coaches, who are among the best defensive minds in football (cough Fangio), guys have 10-20+ years of NFL coaching experience, getting lucky to have one team interview them.

Meanwhile, someone who has almost no NFL coaching experience ,unless you include sniffing McVay's skid-stained briefs one time at the combine, got twice as many that we know of, and got hired by Cincinnati....Zac Taylor.

Fangio is 60, having coached for decades, while proving he can adapt to the modern NFL along the way by constantly fielding the best units in the league on D. Hes a brilliant coach and football mind. 

Zac Taylor (who the hell spells their name like that?), however, has this resume: 

Dolphins QB Coach for 2013-2015 - I can't say I was ever very impressed by Miamis QBs any of that time.

Dolphins interim OC for IIRC 5 games when Campbell was fired. He was underwhelming to say the least.

The OC and QB coach for the Cincinnati Bearcats of the NCAA for one year in 2016. The Bearcats' offense scored an average of 29 pts per game the 5 years before his arrival. In his lone season, he helped them....oh wait. No he actually was worse, coaching an offense that ranked in the bottom 10% of the NCAA and averaged 19 pts a game. A 10 pt difference. 

Then in 2017, he jumped back to the NFL to follow Sean McVay. And apparently Taylor was so impressive, that McVay made him the WR coach. Wait hold on. I meant the ASSISTANT WRs coach. He couldnt even get a job that Greg Lewis once held. But. ..Sean McVay!!!!

And this past year he was QB coach. Although, being that McVay is apparently the QB whisperer, and Goff didnt make some huge leap from last year to this year, Im not quite sure honestly what in the hell Taylor actually did for the Rams. Besides massaging Goff's throwing arm every day for him, ot bringing McVay In N Out Burger during late night meetings.  

This just goes to show how insane these owners are about this whole idiotic notion that theyre gonna find the next McVay. Because its not gonna happen. McVays don't just grow on trees. I mean, Pederson, Shannahan, and McVay are the modern templates for what you should want in your HC. Each in their own ways. But i also think those will be the three best HCs in the NFL 3 years from now. 

It just makes me feel bad for these defensive coaches, who are gonna be relegated to working under guys 20 years their junior with less experience than a wet fart. A defensive HC can 100% win a SB rn. But the problem will be that to do so, they'll need a really good OC, who would end up bolting for to coach the Titans or someone, the following year. 

Sigh. /rant

No need for the rant. It's all cyclical. There will be a couple seasons in a row where new defensive-minded HCs catch fire, and suddenly, the new trend will be hiring defensive guys. We'll see how Taylor and LaFleur do. If they do well, organizations will keep raiding McVay's tree. If they don't, organizations will back off a bit.

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

No need for the rant. It's all cyclical. There will be a couple seasons in a row where new defensive-minded HCs catch fire, and suddenly, the new trend will be hiring defensive guys. We'll see how Taylor and LaFleur do. If they do well, organizations will keep raiding McVay's tree. If they don't, organizations will back off a bit.

I agree with this mostly. 

But I find the bolded to be grossly annoying whenever I hear people mention this imagination that is the "McVay coaching tree". Hes like 32! Hes been a HC for 2 years! 

He even said it himself, fairly recently when it was brought up after the LaFlaeur and Taylor hires, when he pointed out that that this imagined tree of his is fiction. 

Its more like, McVay, Kyle Shannahan, LaFleur, are all part of the Mike Shannahan tree. 

And Pederson and Nagy, the Reid tree. 

Then theres the grocery list of guys from the BB coaching tree. 

McVay is a long time away from having his own "tree". So to speak.

6 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

I agree with this mostly. 

But I find the bolded to be grossly annoying whenever I hear people mention this imagination that is the "McVay coaching tree". Hes like 32! Hes been a HC for 2 years! 

He even said it himself, fairly recently when it was brought up after the LaFlaeur and Taylor hires, when he pointed out that that this imagined tree of his is fiction. 

Its more like, McVay, Kyle Shannahan, LaFleur, are all part of the Mike Shannahan tree. 

And Pederson and Nagy, the Reid tree. 

Then theres the grocery list of guys from the BB coaching tree. 

McVay is a long time away from having his own "tree". So to speak.

This is the dumbest thing to let irk you. McVay is a head coach. Every one of his assistants who are hired contribute to his "coaching tree." McVay is part of the coaching trees of the Grudens and Mike Shanahan. Seems like you're looking for an excuse to be outraged.

32 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

This is the dumbest thing to let irk you. McVay is a head coach. Every one of his assistants who are hired contribute to his "coaching tree." McVay is part of the coaching trees of the Grudens and Mike Shanahan. Seems like you're looking for an excuse to be outraged.

He doesn't sound outraged lol. I think he made a really good point. Trees don't grow in 2 years

25 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

He doesn't sound outraged lol. I think he made a really good point. Trees don't grow in 2 years

Would you prefer it be called a coaching sapling? I didn't realize that people cared so much about a commonly used idiom. xD

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Mike Vrabel has a coaching tree now.

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Would you prefer it be called a coaching sapling? I didn't realize that people cared so much about a commonly used idiom. xD

I can see how using the moniker 'coaching tree' kind of trivializes the great, veteran coaches who have a long respected lineage of descendants. Though, I don't see how that could cause outrage. It is what it is.

10 hours ago, DawgX said:

Image result for jack nicholson yes gif

Not so fast. Lets see how they handle the cap going forward when  they start winning, There is only so much money and they have a ton of young stars. They have a good thing going they have a lot of picks however they will be picking lower in the draft.  Not sure but they have big bucks with FA signing? I know they have cap money but that will be used up with the young stars.

Bakers contract for (4 left) 5 years? If so they will have to pay him the biggest contract in NFL history. Chubbs will  want some cash as well. Also defense ( defensive lineman Myles Garrett and corner back Denzel Ward. ) might be knocking at the GMs door.

22 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Not so fast. Lets see how they handle the cap going forward when  they start winning, There is only so much money and they have a ton of young stars. They have a good thing going they have a lot of picks however they will be picking lower in the draft.  Not sure but they have big bucks with FA signing? I know they have cap money but that will be used up with the young stars.

Bakers contract for (4 left) 5 years? If so they will have to pay him the biggest contract in NFL history. Chubbs will  want some cash as well. Also defense ( defensive lineman Myles Garrett and corner back Denzel Ward. ) might be knocking at the GMs door.

Well they’re one of the top few teams in terms of cap space and going to open up another 10-15m this year with Collins and a couple other possible cuts (Carrie or tretter or a couple others are possibilities even though it’d be stupid). Probably resign Schobert and Randall this year. I highly doubt they sign any high ticket free agents. There’s not any issue with cap. 

Archived