Anthony Barr

MOSteelers56

No one is really expecting him back. While he hasn’t said the words, indications from team insiders has been that he’s going to chase the money. And good for him. 

Barr, despite his size, is an off the ball linebacker, even though he doesn’t want to handle all of the necessary responsibilities that go with it. 

Due to his size and athleticism, many are going to think that he can be an edge rusher, but quite frankly, he’s never shown the ability. None of Barr’s sacks have come from around the edge, or from beating a tackle. He just doesn’t have any pass rush moves. Honestly, I don’t think he’s beaten a single block to get to the quarterback. He is very good at timing the blitz up the A gap, but he really does need to get through the line cleanly in order to reach the QB. Running backs don’t seem to have an issue stopping him, let alone tight ends or linemen. 

I think he could do well as an ILB in a 3-4. But don’t expect an instinctive, or overly physical linebacker. It’s just not his game. 

I can't see Barr returning, especially if his price tag will be that of an edge rusher. 

MN has bigger priorities at OG and DT and I simply don't value a 4-3 OLB enough to pay Barr $12+ million.

Can he play in a 3-4, that is hard to say. He projected to the position in 2014, five years later, he's not shown any glimpses that he could actually do it. His upside as an edge player might be Bruce Irvin.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 7:07 PM, SemperFeist said:

No one is really expecting him back. While he hasn’t said the words, indications from team insiders has been that he’s going to chase the money. And good for him. 

Barr, despite his size, is an off the ball linebacker, even though he doesn’t want to handle all of the necessary responsibilities that go with it. 

Due to his size and athleticism, many are going to think that he can be an edge rusher, but quite frankly, he’s never shown the ability. None of Barr’s sacks have come from around the edge, or from beating a tackle. He just doesn’t have any pass rush moves. Honestly, I don’t think he’s beaten a single block to get to the quarterback. He is very good at timing the blitz up the A gap, but he really does need to get through the line cleanly in order to reach the QB. Running backs don’t seem to have an issue stopping him, let alone tight ends or linemen. 

I think he could do well as an ILB in a 3-4. But don’t expect an instinctive, or overly physical linebacker. It’s just not his game. 

Does anyone know or have a link showing where Viking players lined up last season?  Barr played 808 snaps last season, but am wondering if all those were as a SLB or not.

It'll be an interesting month or two, no doubt.  I think Barr's gone . . . just from the way he's answered questions.  Seems like he's responding like, "yeah, I'd like to be back here . . . but, I have options . . . I'd like/need to be paid for my skills."  

I like the way Barr has played the game; although, I'm curious how he's made pro-bowl after pro-bowl without the glaring stats of other OLBs.   Seems opposing offenses really do take heed to where he is, and I will say, he appears to play his assignment pretty well.  

If he came back at $12m per year, that would be excellent value for the Vikings and he'd continue to be a chess piece for Zimmer.  Problem is he's kind of like a Aqib Talib or Suh … if someone needs that position to cement their D, he'll be coveted.  Then again, Bill B. might just see him as the next Willie McGinest (who played well regular season, but in the post-season, the shackles came off and he dominated.)  

In any event, I kinda feel like the Vikes have quality depth at the LB position, so, let 'em deal the cards.

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I guess I don’t see the value in giving Barr a $12M AAV contract. For that type of money I would not only expect a consistently high level player, but a consistent play maker as well. Barr is neither. 

And that is the biggest thing in my opinion as well, he might do his job and do things that don't show up in the stat sheet but at that salary and position needs to be the consistent play maker/high level player.

10 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

And that is the biggest thing in my opinion as well, he might do his job and do things that don't show up in the stat sheet but at that salary and position needs to be the consistent play maker/high level player.

$12M to me, isn't necessarily the salary of a "high-level player", considering where the cap is going.  Now, if he wants $15M (which is what I gather from all the comments), that's a whole different story.  I think $12M is a fair number for his contribution and the value of the position to the team.  It's the value for a very good player at a valuable position, not necessarily the value of an elite player.

I'm at the point where I think if someone wants to pay him $15M, all the more power to him, let him walk.  But, if others see the same thing the Vikings seem to, and are no more willing to pay him more than $12M, then he'll likely return (after the restructures of Rudolph and potentially Everson and the cuts of Remmers and Sendejo).  

Christian Kirksey, Lavonte David, Vontaze Burfict, Talvin Smith, and Jamie Collins are the only 4-3 OLB’s who are making more than $9M. And quite frankly, I’d take all of them over Barr. 

Add Luke Kuechly, Bobby Wagner, Alec Ogletree, Benardrick McKinney, Eric Kendricks, Mark Barron, and Anthony Hitchens, and you have all of the traditional linebackers who are making $9M or more. 

Luke Kuechly and Jamie Collins are the only ones making $12M or more.

Barr isn’t worth more than $10M. 

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Christian Kirksey, Lavonte David, Vontaze Burfict, Talvin Smith, and Jamie Collins are the only 4-3 OLB’s who are making more than $9M. And quite frankly, I’d take all of them over Barr. 

Add Luke Kuechly, Bobby Wagner, Alec Ogletree, Benardrick McKinney, Eric Kendricks, Mark Barron, and Anthony Hitchens, and you have all of the traditional linebackers who are making $9M or more. 

I agree with this, especially since we've already committed to paying Kendricks.

34 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

You're neglecting to mention the timing.  None of the 5 you mentioned were even extended in the last year.  All were signed 2 or more years ago, so, of course they aren't going to make over $12M or more (except for Collins).  And the reality is that all of them have average salaries of $10M or more, and only Burfict (of the guys signed/extended in 2017) doesn't make $11M or more.  It's only natural that the average salary for a very good 4-3 OLB is going to be $12M or more, which is what Barr is.  An elite one (which he is not) is probably going to go for $14M or more.  The only ones that are going to make $10M or less are the average to just good starting OLB.  That's just the nature of where the market is and is going.  

12 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Kirksey, Collins, Burfict, and Smith all signed during 2017, that’s less than two years ago. 

Nigel Bradham signed just last offseason for $8M. 

In a Zimmer voice: "Who the hell is Nigel Bradham?"  That's not much of a comparison.  I looked up his name...and it appears that PFF lists him as an average LB, while they list Barr as an above-average LB.

And in response to your comment about 2017. Last I checked, that's 2 seasons ago, considering I'm talking about the 2019 free agency period, which Barr is entering. 

Archived