I'm Proud to be a New England Patriots Fan

DoleINGout

18 minutes ago, Elky said:

Since Brady became the starter in 2001, we have only missed the AFC Championship in 2002, 2005, 2008, 2009 and 2010, and Brady was injured in 2008.

That 2010 team was good. 1 bad game at the wrong moment.

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

There's too much to say about them. Going to be one hell of a documentary

It's the most amazing thing in the history of professional football. I'm not even sure if I perfect my youth-inator I will ever live to see anything like them again...

Let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to discredit Patriots fans, but I think you'd be lying to yourself if you didn't say you didn't benefit from a mediocre division.

Since 2001, the Dolphins have had 6 winning seasons in 18 years including 2 playoff trips.  Since 2001, the Bills have had 3 winning seasons and gone to the playoffs once.  Since 2001, the Jets have had 8 winning seasons including six playoff appearances.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to discredit Patriots fans, but I think you'd be lying to yourself if you didn't say you didn't benefit from a mediocre division.

Since 2001, the Dolphins have had 6 winning seasons in 18 years including 2 playoff trips.  Since 2001, the Bills have had 3 winning seasons and gone to the playoffs once.  Since 2001, the Jets have had 8 winning seasons including six playoff appearances.

It doesnt help that those teams have to play the Patriots twice a year. I'd argue that the Patriots consistency has caused the other teams in the AFCE to over-react and feel like they need to rebuild too quickly in order to compete. 

Just now, Deadpulse said:

It doesnt help that those teams have to play the Patriots twice a year. I'd argue that the Patriots consistency has caused the other teams in the AFCE to over-react and feel like they need to rebuild too quickly in order to compete. 

No doubt.  The only point of comparison I have is with my Packers.  Since 2006 (when the Packers hired Mike McCarthy), the Vikings have had 6 winning seasons and gone to the playoffs 5 times.  Since 2006, the Bears have 5 winning seasons and gone to the playoffs 3 times.  Since 2006, the Lions have 4 winning seasons and gone to the playoffs 3 times. In the 39 combined seasons, the Lions/Bears/Vikings have gone to the playoffs 11 times which is 28% of the time.  Of the 54 combined seasons, the Dolphins/Jets/Bills have gone to the playoffs a combined 9 times, which is 17% of the time.  The level of futility in the AFC East has helped.  The usual cyclical nature of the NFL hasn't happened in the AFC East.  I mean, who was the best QB over those years?  Ryan Tannehill is probably the best QB the Dolphins have had, the best Jets' QB has been Chad Pennington, and I honestly couldn't decide for the Bills.  Meanwhile, the Bears had Jay Cutler, the Lions have Matthew Stafford, and the Vikings had a slew of solid QBs.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, who was the best QB over those years?

That is definitely a symptom of Brady and BB. Belichick routinely makes rookie and young QB's look silly. Having bad performance after bad performance stunts growth, which is compounded with the perpetual need to throw these young guys to the fire immediately. It seems like the same mistake is made with each team each cycle. They hire a coach and draft a new QB after pulling the plug on their last young buck, throw that guy under center despite a good journeyman to keep the starting gig warm (looking at you Jets). Dolphins are next, they arleady seemed like they were pulling the plug on Tannehill before firing Gase. 

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

That is definitely a symptom of Brady and BB. Belichick routinely makes rookie and young QB's look silly. Having bad performance after bad performance stunts growth, which is compounded with the perpetual need to throw these young guys to the fire immediately. It seems like the same mistake is made with each team each cycle. They hire a coach and draft a new QB after pulling the plug on their last young buck, throw that guy under center despite a good journeyman to keep the starting gig warm (looking at you Jets). Dolphins are next, they arleady seemed like they were pulling the plug on Tannehill before firing Gase. 

Since 2001, the Bills have drafted JP Losman (22nd overall), EJ Manuel (16th overall), and Josh Allen (7th overall) in the first round.  The Dolphins have drafted Ryan Tannehill (8th overall).  The Jets have selected Mark Sanchez (5th overall) and Sam Darnold (3rd overall).  The only team that I'd argue that put an active effort into finding a franchise QB is the Jets.  The Bills slept walk with a bunch of corpse at QB, and the Dolphins stuck their flag with Ryan Tannehill whose the epitome of QB purgatory.  The jury is still out on Josh Allen and Sam Darnold, but the Mark Sanchez selection was a miss you're willing to live with.  Until you have your franchise QB in place, you should be bottoming out your franchise.  None of those franchises did.  It appears the Dolphins may be doing that this offseason.

Archived