I'm Proud to be a New England Patriots Fan

DoleINGout

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to discredit Patriots fans, but I think you'd be lying to yourself if you didn't say you didn't benefit from a mediocre division.

Since 2001, the Dolphins have had 6 winning seasons in 18 years including 2 playoff trips.  Since 2001, the Bills have had 3 winning seasons and gone to the playoffs once.  Since 2001, the Jets have had 8 winning seasons including six playoff appearances.

Patriots winning % against AFCE: .794

Patriots winning % against NFL: .755

Patriots winning % in postseason: .738

20 hours ago, CWood21 said:

No doubt.  The only point of comparison I have is with my Packers.  Since 2006 (when the Packers hired Mike McCarthy), the Vikings have had 6 winning seasons and gone to the playoffs 5 times.  Since 2006, the Bears have 5 winning seasons and gone to the playoffs 3 times.  Since 2006, the Lions have 4 winning seasons and gone to the playoffs 3 times. In the 39 combined seasons, the Lions/Bears/Vikings have gone to the playoffs 11 times which is 28% of the time.  Of the 54 combined seasons, the Dolphins/Jets/Bills have gone to the playoffs a combined 9 times, which is 17% of the time.  The level of futility in the AFC East has helped.  The usual cyclical nature of the NFL hasn't happened in the AFC East.  I mean, who was the best QB over those years?  Ryan Tannehill is probably the best QB the Dolphins have had, the best Jets' QB has been Chad Pennington, and I honestly couldn't decide for the Bills.  Meanwhile, the Bears had Jay Cutler, the Lions have Matthew Stafford, and the Vikings had a slew of solid QBs.

Since 2001, the Patriots have a .782 win% vs. the Bills, Dolphins and Jets. The Packers have a .667 win% vs. those teams. Since 2001, the Patriots have a .933 win% vs. the Bears, Lions and Vikings. The Packers have a .657 win% vs. those teams. So really, I think the Patriots have benefited from being a dominant team more than just being in the AFC East.

Your point about the playoffs is a good one. However, I'd respond by saying that the Dolphins/Jets/Bills have hovered closer to .500, even in their bad seasons, than the Vikings/Lions/Bears have in theirs. And a major reason why they haven't made the playoffs is precisely because the Patriots are in their division and they have to face them twice a year. Some info around that: Since 2001, the Dolphins/Jets/Bills are 384-480-0, a .444 win%. Back out their games vs. the Patriots, and their record is 360-396-0, a .476 win%. Since 2006, the Bears/Lions/Vikings are 292-330-2, a .470 win%. Back out their games vs. the Packers, and their record is 267-279-0, a .489 win%.

So yes, I'd say that the Bears/Lions/Vikings were better in the McCarthy era than the Bills/Jets/Dolphins in the Brady era, but it's pretty darn close. This common narrative about the rest of the AFC East being a dumpster fire (and yeah, I know those aren't your words) is a bit of a fallacy, though I would say they have been middle of the pack or a bit below average in the Brady era, and the Patriots have benefited some from that.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:42 PM, CWood21 said:

Let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to discredit Patriots fans, but I think you'd be lying to yourself if you didn't say you didn't benefit from a mediocre division.

Since 2001, the Dolphins have had 6 winning seasons in 18 years including 2 playoff trips.  Since 2001, the Bills have had 3 winning seasons and gone to the playoffs once.  Since 2001, the Jets have had 8 winning seasons including six playoff appearances.

okay but lets be honest.. theres only 1 or 2 divisions that the pats wouldn't crush every year. 

Archived