To Be or Not to Be. That is the Eagle Question

Nabbs4u

16 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I'd love for that to happen but I'm also a realist. It took Jason 3 years to even get up to enough speed to be a starter and he was someone who played American football growing up. Mailata literally just had his first season of American football in his entire life. WHile I'm excited about his future prospects in no way shape or form and I banking on him any more than I would for any other 7th round pick.

I can see him spending the offseason working on technique...I think its more about the technical tools he seems to have the physical tools. 

22 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I'd love for that to happen but I'm also a realist. It took Jason 3 years to even get up to enough speed to be a starter and he was someone who played American football growing up. Mailata literally just had his first season of American football in his entire life. WHile I'm excited about his future prospects in no way shape or form and I banking on him any more than I would for any other 7th round pick.

Tom brady was a late 6th. So I'm pretty sure Mailata is going to be the greatest LT of all time.

20 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

Well....Michael Bennett signed a 3 year 30.5 million dollar deal the year before he got traded to us. That said the deal had 0 guarantees after year one. I think all of us could swallow this kind of contract and it would be a 3.5 million/year increase for Brandon.

aaaaaaaaand.....that's not gonna happen anymore.

"I love Philly, but I owe it to myself and my family to explore free agency. I'm in the business of doing what's best for my family. I need to explore the market." - Brandon Graham 1/15/19.

4 hours ago, nlesthought said:

I wasn't, but I don't know if there will be a rookie OG that can start Day 1...Do you want to draft an OG in the first? Nah...

They were high enough on Matt Pryor to keep him on the active roster despite not playing a down, he's listed as G/T, Warmack somehow played 9 games this year, mostly ST?

Guard up high?  No need and a waste.  That was clear with Shawn Andrews and the fact that Guard is probably the 2nd easiest position to translate next to RB.  But, I would definitely draft an LT high if there's one available...idk, I don't really follow College Football.  I don't think you can count on the Aussie or Vatai as long-term answers with Peters being done.

1 hour ago, nlesthought said:

Reading it now on BGN...I can definitely picture the 'click' of DougieP's vehicle being hitched to the Wentz wagon...

Sounds like it and probably like Foles is gone to FA without the tag and trade.  Probs just let him go and take the compensatory pick the next year.

4 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

aaaaaaaaand.....that's not gonna happen anymore.

"I love Philly, but I owe it to myself and my family to explore free agency. I'm in the business of doing what's best for my family. I need to explore the market." - Brandon Graham 1/15/19.

Exactly what he should say. It's in the Eagles court to stay competitive with what ends up being offered. If not, he should  sign elsewhere.

Have Zero problem with what he just said. Watch his last interview  in the locker room and it's clear he "wants" to stay but not for penny's  on the Dollar. Nor should  he. This will be his last opportunity  to make money as DE in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Exactly what he should say. It's in the Eagles court to stay competitive with what ends up being offered. If not, he should  sign elsewhere.

Have Zero problem with what he just said. Watch his last interview  in the locker room and it's clear he "wants" to stay but not for penny's  on the Dollar. Nor should  he. This will be his last opportunity  to make money as DE in the NFL.

He should test FA, but I expect Howie to make a strong effort to bring him back. What is nice about this “legal tampering period” is that BG can look to see what is out there and Howie can see if he wants to match before FA even starts. 

He very well could go. But I doubt that the Eagles just let him go without working to bring him back. I say the same thing about Hicks. 

What I'd do - using the OTC calculator. 

Current cap space: (12)m 

Trade Nick Foles and 4th round pick to Jax for 2nd and 3rd round (via the Rams) picks . +18.8m

Extend Nelson Agholor to a 3 year 21m deal with 9m signing bonus. Cap hits 5.5m, 6.5m, 9m for a 7m average is not a bad deal for him IMO. +3.9m

Restructure Nigel Bradham. He barely has any guaranteed money, so give him a 6m signing bonus and move 4.5m to the last three years. +4.5m

Restructure Michael Bennett. He has nil guaranteed money. Convert 5m base and 1m roster bonus into a signing bonus. +3m

Restructure Timmy Jernigan. OTC is not updated, but he is supposed to have zero guaranteed and the 3 years are all option years for 10+m per. I think it is reasonable to achieve a relief for 2019 around +5m

Chris Long retires. He was a pretty useful rotational player and hell of a teammate. As per reports he already contemplated the retirement before this season, so I think he hangs up.  +5.3m

Total: 40.5m

Optional / worst case scenario moves 

Release Rodney McLeod. +5.1m

Jason Peters retires. +8m

Jason Kelce retires. 6.5m

Total optional: 19.6m

So the Eagles can free up to 60m in cap space which means they would be 48m under the cap. 

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

He should test FA, but I expect Howie to make a strong effort to bring him back. What is nice about this “legal tampering period” is that BG can look to see what is out there and Howie can see if he wants to match before FA even starts. 

He very well could go. But I doubt that the Eagles just let him go without working to bring him back. I say the same thing about Hicks. 

I agree but hope Howie learned from Banners mistake with Dawk. Don't  intentionally  low ball him just to force him to move on.

I'm not suggesting BG is irreplaceable but he doesn't get enough respect  in this forum because  his "sack" numbers aren't  on par with the supposed Studs of the NFL. 

19 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

God It would be amazing if the Australian Giant somehow can get up to speed and truly contend for the LT spot in 2019.

I know contact is limited in the offseason by the Staff but it would be "beneficial " if they "arranged" a private "trainer" outside the Organization with knowledge of what Stout wants taught/expects from his OL for the next 4-5 months until OTA's.

I honestly couldn't imagine if he turned into a Peters 2.0 (converted LT) for the next decade plus??

This is why we need to bring Tra Thomas on board as a “consultant”. Dude ran a athletic center where players were training during the lockout. 

32 minutes ago, oland11 said:

This is why we need to bring Tra Thomas on board as a “consultant”. Dude ran a athletic center where players were training during the lockout. 

Not as a Consultant  because he would  be considered "staff" and against the rules but Yes, Tell Jordan get your *** down to his Center ASAP.

A little surprised at how low a priority Hicks seems to be in this thread. Injuries are obviously a concern, but he's still a good player who will be 27 at the start of next season. I'd definitely prioritize Hicks over any of the other defensive free agents we have.  

Sign Hicks and re-build the d-line in the draft IMO. 

2 hours ago, Eagles27 said:

A little surprised at how low a priority Hicks seems to be in this thread. Injuries are obviously a concern, but he's still a good player who will be 27 at the start of next season. I'd definitely prioritize Hicks over any of the other defensive free agents we have.  

Sign Hicks and re-build the d-line in the draft IMO. 

Oh I want Hicks too but at what price? He's slowly becoming an Eagle version of Sean Lee.  A stud when on the field but less and less available each season.

Archived