To Be or Not to Be. That is the Eagle Question

Nabbs4u

16 hours ago, jonu62882 said:

Sounds like it and probably like Foles is gone to FA without the tag and trade.  Probs just let him go and take the compensatory pick the next year.

it's the thing to do. give him the complete choice of where he wants to go, he's earned more than that. 

44 minutes ago, ianlewis16 said:

it's the thing to do. give him the complete choice of where he wants to go, he's earned more than that. 

He can still choose, via trade. Eagles don't have to jns oust on a Franchise  Tag 1st rd pick. No team is trading for Foles without a contract already worked out. Which means he will be negotiating  with said team and can basically tell Howie, I'm not negotiating  with Team A, B or C. Get what you can from D, E or F.

4 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

He can still choose, via trade. Eagles don't have to jns oust on a Franchise  Tag 1st rd pick. No team is trading for Foles without a contract already worked out. Which means he will be negotiating  with said team and can basically tell Howie, I'm not negotiating  with Team A, B or C. Get what you can from D, E or F.

Amen to that. I like Foles. I really do but we are NOT going to simply let him walk and hope for a comp pick in 2020. Talk to teams that want to sign him, work out a contract and try to get whatever we can for him. 2nd and 5th in 2019 and maybe mid to late picks in 2020. Make no mistake, I want the Eagles to win more than I want Foles and his new team to win. 

Go Birds

Master "The Haul" Cheddaar

18 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Amen to that. I like Foles. I really do but we are NOT going to simply let him walk and hope for a comp pick in 2020. Talk to teams that want to sign him, work out a contract and try to get whatever we can for him. 2nd and 5th in 2019 and maybe mid to late picks in 2020. Make no mistake, I want the Eagles to win more than I want Foles and his new team to win. 

Go Birds

I'd place a significant wager that we do in fact just let him walk. 

He got well compensated already. We could have shipped him off to Cleveland last offseason. He got some bonus money even though he fell short of that snap count money this year. Love the guy, but he got a lot of money for that SB. And got to handpick his option last year. He chose to stay. But now it’s time to do what’s best for us. I’m sure they’ll keep his best interests in mind, but it’s time to cash that ticket. It’s wandering into unprecedented territories with how much we’re doing for him at this point. Any other player getting that kind of respect around the league outside of Brady?  

From an article 

“If Nick Foles does fly the coop from Philadelphia this offseason, the Eagles will do their best to get something back in return.

While speaking to the media, Eagles executive VP of football operations Howie Roseman said the team would be doing “what’s best for our football team” when it comes to their backup quarterback.

That could include signing Foles to a hefty contract extension to keep him backing up oft-injured starting QB Carson Wentz, but more than likely means the team will try to trade Foles or place the franchise tag on him and then trade him.

A third option, letting Foles walk as a free agent, is on the table but, since that would not be in Philly’s best interests, that seems unlikely to happen.”

Good question can the buyout can happen after we pick up the 20m option? I'm sure there's some language in there that states if its a possibility. 

Treat the option like a franchise tag. What if teams flee because of the option and then we're trying to renegotiate with him to lower that 20m hit?    

Why are people so eager to axe McLeod?

His injury wasnt a career altering one. Hes still only, what, 26 or 27 years old? 

His contract isnt that bad at all. And he and Jenkins have good chemistry on the back end together on D, and IMO McLeod played really well during our SB run.

Plus, retaining him would make it so that we wouldnt need to worry so much about keeping Darby, and more or less, wed be able to keep Maddox (who btw is going to be a freaking stud), Rasul, LeBlanc, and Jones all at corner and let them develop there. 

Having a veteran safety like McLeod who is both experienced and yet also still in the early stages of his prime, is an underrated asset. 

I hope we keep Graham. Sign him to something like 3 yrs/33 million with 15 guaranteed. People keep saying he had a down year, but he once again was in the top 10 in the NFL in QB pressures this season. 

*interesting stats: we had 3 of the 9 best pass rushers in the NFL in terms of QB pressures in 2018. Cox was 2nd with 95 and the closest behind him had 78. (Donald was 1st with 108). If it werent for Donald being an alien, Cox would be talked about way more. Michael Bennett had 68 pressures (9th in the league, and only 1 less than Khalil Mack). And then B-Rex finished in 7th place, AHEAD of Mack.

PFF ranked our pass rush at #2 in the NFL. Which is pretty remarkable considering we didnt have Jernigan for almost all of the year and Barnett was out basically the entire season. We have a really good mixture of youth and vets up front on the DL. Why mess that up? I say keep Bennett, resign B Rex, restructure Timmy if we need to (although his contract has no guaranteed money so its nbd if we dont), and use one of our first three picks on an interior DL. 

The way to maneuver it would be to decline the mutual option so he has no say initially. Tag him. Find a partner all parties adhere to. Let Foles negotiate a new contract. Then we negotiate compensation for a trade. Team gets value for their potential trade asset, Foles gets to go to a place he wants and market money, we get compensated correctly for a starting QB. 

I haven't read many people as of late saying to axe McLeod, I feel most people understand he was missed. The contract is fine...I'm more concerned we don't have anyone that could  step in place of Jenkins who's been our iron man for the last couple years. That will start to take a toll on him. 

5 hours ago, ianlewis16 said:

I'd place a significant wager that we do in fact just let him walk. 

If we do that, it is a nice thing to do for a player that won us a superbowl. Other than that treat it like it is business and try to get something for an asset. 

Go Birds

2 hours ago, nlesthought said:

I haven't read many people as of late saying to axe McLeod, I feel most people understand he was missed. The contract is fine...I'm more concerned we don't have anyone that could  step in place of Jenkins who's been our iron man for the last couple years. That will start to take a toll on him. 

Read that “Secondary Going Forward” Thread. The McLeod hate is THICCCC. I personally don’t get it. He is a really good player. 

I don’t know if Graham’s market is going to be a lucrative as we might think. DeMarcus Lawrence, Jadaveon Clowney, Trey Flowers, Dee Ford, Ziggy Ansah, Za’Darius Smith, Preston Smith are all also FA’s. Granted some will be retained  but a few are going to hit the market and Graham is the oldest of all of them. I think it is about 60/40 he is back especially if Chris  Long retires. 

On 1/14/2019 at 8:50 AM, Phire said:

Golden Tate needs to be gone. I don't fault the Eagles for trying. But he looks like an average WR who isn't really competing that hard. He just seems nonchalant.

Great explanation here.. how many passes did he ‘let’ drop... bye

Archived