2019 Sign, Draft or Promote - Starting DT (3-Tech)

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting 3-Tech position?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting 3-Tech position?

• Re-sign Sheldon Richardson
    • Re-sign Tom Johnson and draft mid-round player
    • Sign an external free agent (post preference in thread)
    • Draft a starting 3-Tech (post preference in thread)
    • Promote Jalyn Holmes
    • Promote Jaleel Johnson (moving him from backup NT)
    • Other (Post in Thread)

we did this last a couple of years ago, I think it's time to drag it back up to evaluate where the Vikings go from here, so they can make a triumphant return to the playoffs next year.  Let's move on to the starting 3-Tech DT position...

2018 depth at the position:  Sheldon Richardson, Tom Johnson, Jalyn Holmes

2019 Outgoing Free Agents: Sheldon Richardson, Tom Johnson

Potential Free Agents Available: Grady Jarrett, David Irving, Christian Covington, Darius Philon, Henry Anderson, Rodney Gunter, Dominique Easley

Potential Draftees:  Ed Oliver (Houston), Raekwon Davis (Alabama), Jerry Tillery (Notre Dame), Rashard Lawrence (LSU), Christian Wilkins (Clemson), Demarcus Christmas (Florida State), Javon Kinlaw (South Carolina)

What should the Vikings do to improve this position?  Sign a free agent, Draft a replacement, or Promote from Within?

I really think that Tom Johnson can come close to Richardson's production in 2018...and perhaps surpass it.  I let Sheldon seek his next contract elsewhere and resign Johnson.

39 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I really think that Tom Johnson can come close to Richardson's production in 2018...and perhaps surpass it.  I let Sheldon seek his next contract elsewhere and resign Johnson.

That is my personal preference.  I put the disclaimer on it with the mid-round draft pick, because if they do go that route of re-signing him, at his age, it's almost required that they bring in some competition for Jalyn Holmes/Jaleel Johnson for 2020 and beyond.  Otherwise, they are in the same situation again of not having a long-term resolution.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

That is my personal preference.  I put the disclaimer on it with the mid-round draft pick, because if they do go that route of re-signing him, at his age, it's almost required that they bring in some competition for Jalyn Holmes/Jaleel Johnson for 2020 and beyond.  Otherwise, they are in the same situation again of not having a long-term resolution.

I think if you let Richardson walk, DT becomes as pressing of a need as OG.

Jaleel Johnnson, Tom Johnson and Holmes shouldn't be starting.  

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think if you let Richardson walk, DT becomes as pressing of a need as OG.

Jaleel Johnnson, Tom Johnson and Holmes shouldn't be starting.  

Personally, I think they can get by with such a rotation.  When they were looking for a safety on the opposite side of Harrison Smith, and they only had guys like Andrew Sendejo, Antone Exum, and Robert Blanton competing for the job, most of us thought they were doomed because we didn't feel any of them would be ready for the job.  We were proven wrong as Sendejo has done a real nice job for the most part.  We may not feel that they are ready for the job, but Tom Johnson has proven to be a good DT, even if he's not flashy or top-10.  Holmes may not be ready to start, but he should be ready to at least contribute more than he did last year.  They need guys like him to step up, so they can continue to build up depth in other positions.  

Zimmer has previously said that Tom Johnson should play on a limited basis. Jaleel Johnson has shown very little going into his third year. I don't trust that he can make the jump to being a 30/40 snaps per game player. Holmes looks too light for a role different than T Johnson.

its a deep DT class is what I hear so I'd imagine the value will be good at 18 or in round two.

i wouldn't even mind double dipping at DT (sign Richardson and drafting one in rd 2 or 3). 

12 hours ago, swede700 said:

we did this last a couple of years ago, I think it's time to drag it back up to evaluate where the Vikings go from here, so they can make a triumphant return to the playoffs next year.  Let's move on to the starting 3-Tech DT position...

2018 depth at the position:  Sheldon Richardson, Tom Johnson, Jalyn Holmes

2019 Outgoing Free Agents: Sheldon Richardson, Tom Johnson

Potential Free Agents Available: Grady Jarrett, David Irving, Christian Covington, Darius Philon, Henry Anderson, Rodney Gunter, Dominique Easley

Potential Draftees:  Ed Oliver (Houston), Raekwon Davis (Alabama), Jerry Tillery (Notre Dame), Rashard Lawrence (LSU), Christian Wilkins (Clemson), Demarcus Christmas (Florida State), Javon Kinlaw (South Carolina)

What should the Vikings do to improve this position?  Sign a free agent, Draft a replacement, or Promote from Within?

Raekwon is returning to Alabama

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2807101-dl-raekwon-davis-to-forego-2019-nfl-draft-return-to-alabama-for-senior-season

https://twitter.com/Raekwondavis_99/status/1083148284917628933

I selected re-sign Richardson, however I'd look at another 1 year deal with a little less money than last year, I'm not sure teams will be lining up to sign him long term after both his last 2 years & see another short 1-2 yr deal but then again I could be way off.  

Anywho, Id resign Richardson to a short 1 or 2 yr deal  & still draft another mid-late round guy to develop.  I really liked Raekwon Davis for the Vikings but with his returning that won't happen,  Christian Wilkins could be another option in the 2nd or maybe Ricky Walker in the 3rd or 4th

Archived