2019 Sign, Draft or Promote - Starting DT (3-Tech)

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting 3-Tech position?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting 3-Tech position?

• Re-sign Sheldon Richardson
    • Re-sign Tom Johnson and draft mid-round player
    • Sign an external free agent (post preference in thread)
    • Draft a starting 3-Tech (post preference in thread)
    • Promote Jalyn Holmes
    • Promote Jaleel Johnson (moving him from backup NT)
    • Other (Post in Thread)

9 hours ago, Boda said:

Thanks for the clarification...the site I went to still had him listed as available (since the whole mess at CBSSports.com, I now don't have a trusted site).  

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Patterson knows how to coach up a DL. Maybe Jaleel Johnson is the next guy up?

I would have expected more out of him at this point if he was going to amount to anything. 

I'd like to see DT3 upgraded, assuming Richardson returns. 

10 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Weatherly didn't show much of anything until his 3rd year

That was more based on opportunity though with Robison retiring, was it not? Johnson has been part of the rotation for two years now, despite not having a set 3rd DT. They let Tom Johnson walk with the hope that J Johnson would emerge, but he was quickly brought back. I'm not sure that J Johnson is the best scheme fit. Doesn't seem big or strong enough to handle NT and seems to lack explosiveness to play that UT spot. I don't see him in the mix to start. 

11 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I would have expected more out of him at this point if he was going to amount to anything. 

I'd like to see DT3 upgraded, assuming Richardson returns. 

He's only been in the league 2 years.  You have to be a little more patient than that.  And he has not been part of the rotation for 2 years.  This last year was the first year he was truly part of the rotation, as he was behind both Shamar Stephen and Linval at NT and behind Tom Johnson and Brian Robison at DT (as Robison was still a DT on 3rd down) in his rookie year, a season in which he only played in 5 games.  It was about opportunity for him too.  

Archived