2019 Sign, Draft or Promote - Starting DT (3-Tech)

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting 3-Tech position?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting 3-Tech position?

• Re-sign Sheldon Richardson
    • Re-sign Tom Johnson and draft mid-round player
    • Sign an external free agent (post preference in thread)
    • Draft a starting 3-Tech (post preference in thread)
    • Promote Jalyn Holmes
    • Promote Jaleel Johnson (moving him from backup NT)
    • Other (Post in Thread)

29 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Yeah I'd let Barr and Richardson walk to sign McCoy. That would be huge.

I really like McCoy as a player and as person with great integrity.  I wonder what numbers would be expected from his camp?

35 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Not sure but he is 30 years old.

I think he'd be awfully pricey.  It'd probably more than Suh's market value (as listed on Spotrac) which is about $9.3M since he's 32, but less than what McCoy is scheduled to make, which is $13M.  So, my guess would be probably $11.5M or so.  

42 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think he'd be awfully pricey.  It'd probably more than Suh's market value (as listed on Spotrac) which is about $9.3M since he's 32, but less than what McCoy is scheduled to make, which is $13M.  So, my guess would be probably $11.5M or so.  

I expect Richardson to get around $10 million so that's not far off.

26 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I expect Richardson to get around $10 million so that's not far off.

And I don't believe, even at this point, they could afford to pay Richardson $10M...not if they plan on improving the offensive line to any significance.

29 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And I don't believe, even at this point, they could afford to pay Richardson $10M...not if they plan on improving the offensive line to any significance.

I disagree. I think the most notable long term improvements along the OL will come through the draft. 

They could let Barr walk and cut Remmers and Sendejo and have enough to pay a DT $10-$12m easily. I don't trust paying $10 million to a 30 year old Guard, that seems to be the most likely FA OL option. 

I'd love to make a move for Scherff, but I'd consider that unlikely. 

29 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I disagree. I think the most notable long term improvements along the OL will come through the draft. 

They could let Barr walk and cut Remmers and Sendejo and have enough to pay a DT $10-$12m easily. I don't trust paying $10 million to a 30 year old Guard, that seems to be the most likely FA OL option. 

I'd love to make a move for Scherff, but I'd consider that unlikely. 

That's fair, but with doing that, then they're also potentially opening themselves up to losing Weatherly (who they might need to replace Griffen, if they are forced to cut him) and Mackensie Alexander in addition to losing Trae Waynes in 2020, not to mention the potential of the need to renegotiate Thielen's contract.  While they certainly, if they make those moves, can afford to bring in a $10M-$12M DT for the 2019 season, they may have to sacrifice other defensive positions in 2020 and beyond to do so, since they're already projected to pay over $41M to the other 3 positions on the D-Line in 2020 (Griffen, Linval, Danielle). 

I'd much rather have them draft a 1st round DT this year than pay an exorbitant amount to bring in McCoy or re-sign Sheldon...and it ain't a close call to me.

Really liking the cut ups of Khalen Saunders from the senior bowl. Shorter than what we’ve had at 3T in the past, but he’s got good burst, strength, and athleticism from what I’ve seen. Small school guy in a deep class, so could be a bargain player to develop. 

• 2 weeks later...

Contrary to popular belief, the 2019 NFL Draft interior defensive line class is not the generational class we once thought it was.

Is it a good class? Sure, as are the vast majority of interior defensive line classes these days. Few position groups are more loaded across college football, and the NFL is currently excelling at developing defensive tackles of all types, using them in the roles that best fit their skill sets.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/04/hold-up-this-interior-dl-class-aint-what-we-thought/

If his analysis is true, then it might behoove the Vikings to consider taking the 3-Tech at #18 and then address the OL in rds 2 and 3.

19 minutes ago, swede700 said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/04/hold-up-this-interior-dl-class-aint-what-we-thought/

If his analysis is true, then it might behoove the Vikings to consider taking the 3-Tech at #18 and then address the OL in rds 2 and 3.

Wouldn't that suggest the opposite. If the NFL is truly excelling at developing DT talent based on scheme, why not wait until rounds 3-4 and take more talented OL prospects earlier?

12 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Wouldn't that suggest the opposite. If the NFL is truly excelling at developing DT talent based on scheme, why not wait until rounds 3-4 and take more talented OL prospects earlier?

No...what he's saying is that while the DTs are good, it's not as deep as once thought because of the guys who decided to stay in school, that you might want to take them early.  He was only saying that they've been consistent at churning out several good DTs on a year by year basis...this year is no different, but the number of premier interior DTs is not as many.  

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

They won't win without a better OL. They have shown no ability to draft them later and have them be good for more than one year. They've been great at drafting and developing DL. I think they should do the opposite of what you are suggesting. 

Archived