2019 Sign, Draft or Promote - Starting DT (3-Tech)

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting 3-Tech position?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting 3-Tech position?

• Re-sign Sheldon Richardson
    • Re-sign Tom Johnson and draft mid-round player
    • Sign an external free agent (post preference in thread)
    • Draft a starting 3-Tech (post preference in thread)
    • Promote Jalyn Holmes
    • Promote Jaleel Johnson (moving him from backup NT)
    • Other (Post in Thread)

13 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

They won't win without a better OL. They have shown no ability to draft them later and have them be good for more than one year. They've been great at drafting and developing DL. I think they should do the opposite of what you are suggesting. 

I agree with you, but to play devil's advocate we really haven't developed any of the IDL we've drafted either.

45 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Good point. It's DE and WR and, um... Maybe this coaching isn't great.... I'll have to noodle that.

I mean our CB's have been developed well, albeit they are mostly high draft picks. And they've also made Sendejo, Harris, and Kearse solid players. I think we have a better chance at developing a lower round IDL than OL, but the track record isn't there to back that up.

Shamar Stephen doesn't count?  I think he developed pretty well for a 7th rd pick?  And the reality is that they haven't drafted iDL players since Zimmer has been here.  It's been Stephen and Jaleel Johnson.  That's it.  Floyd was drafted in Leslie's last year.  Also, Tom Johnson is light-years better now than he was before in New Orleans...and he was an Arena League/CFL guy before that.  I believe it's a fallacy to say that they haven't developed iDL.  They haven't needed to draft iDL because they've had such success at bringing in FAs for the positions.  This is really the first year they'll probably have to look to draft a DT high in 5 years.  

17 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Shamar Stephen doesn't count?  I think he developed pretty well for a 7th rd pick?  And the reality is that they haven't drafted iDL players since Zimmer has been here.  It's been Stephen and Jaleel Johnson.  That's it.  Floyd was drafted in Leslie's last year.  Also, Tom Johnson is light-years better now than he was before in New Orleans...and he was an Arena League/CFL guy before that.  I believe it's a fallacy to say that they haven't developed iDL.  They haven't needed to draft iDL because they've had such success at bringing in FAs for the positions.  This is really the first year they'll probably have to look to draft a DT high in 5 years.  

I agree. There just hasn't been a need too. They went out and signed Linval Joseph years ago. That's really left one spot for the team to develop players, but it's not necessarily easy to find really good 3T players. We've had a platoon at the position. Shamar Stephen and Tom Johnson were okay, but great values as a 7th round pick and after thought FA pickup.

they finally invested in the position with Richardson with mixed results, I'd prefer to just bring him back if he doesn't have a crazy asking price. Richardson might be better in a 3-4 though.

DL, just like OL, is one of those positions we need to keep building up.

38 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Ah I forgot about Stephen. I don't disagree that he can develop IDL talent, I was just bringing up a point that we haven't seen him develop many that we've drafted, but I did forget about Shamar.

If Ed Oliver truly does slip as is being talked about, and we are able to address one offensive line position in free agency, I would love to see what Patterson and Zimmer could do with that ball of muscle and explosive power.

13 minutes ago, RpMc said:

If Ed Oliver truly does slip as is being talked about, and we are able to address one offensive line position in free agency, I would love to see what Patterson and Zimmer could do with that ball of muscle and explosive power.

If we could afford to bring back Richardson and sign a decent starting OG, I'd be all for adding another talent along the DL with pick 18. Just have to grab a guard in the middle second round, which is still a good spot.

18 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I would love for teams to overthink on him and let him drop. He could bring a new dimension to the defense.

Western Illinois DT Khalen Saunders is massive and can do back flips, but more importantly he has some exciting football ability. His blend of power and quickness for a 320-pound man is rare and I like his potential to challenge the depth of the pocket on passing downs while being a stout defender against the run. A little-known prospect from the FCS, Saunders made a name for himself this week.

I recently took the deep-dive into Saunders game film to conduct my formal film assessment, and the same moments of explosive quickness and power regularly showed up.

Saunders’ high points on film are otherworldly. There are times that he is just physically superior to his competition and they are mere obstacles in the way of him inevitably making plays. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/15/khalen-saunders-does-rare-things/

Archived