Pace and Nagy Year End Press Conference

WindyCity

12 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Is there a video?  I didn't see it on the website or their youtube channel, but maybe I just missed it.

It's on youtube and will be uploaded in a couple of hours. My biggest impression was Matt's anger and you can tell he's still stewing about that loss. I really hope this ignites this team to be a first round bye team next year and make some moves.

My Post Season Press Conference Take Aways

Cody Parkey is done.

Pace was diplomatic about needing to be better and competition, and then Nagy looked like he was ready to kill pretty much said it was a selfish move. Pace followed up with a performance over money comment. That was actually stronger than I thought it would be.

Leonard Floyd's 5th year option.

This is the right move. He played really well down the stretch and the Bears not having 1st round picks coming up in the next 2 years is going to make it very difficult to upgrade from him. The 5th year option is only guaranteed for catastrophic injury and the Bears have flexibility. They should use the option to extend Floyd at a more reasonable rate.

Jordan Howard may not be back.

They were about as non-committal as they could have been about Howard long term. It makes sense, as much as people made about him not being a good scheme fit he turned out not to be a great scheme fit. He is to slow through the hole for some of these power plays and he does not really have the wiggle to create bigger plays like a lot of the backs in KC.

Kareem Hunt is a real option.

You do not spend 4-5 minutes of a press conference answering questions about a guy that is not an option. They seem to be setting the stage for the possibility of Hunt making it less shocking down the road if it happens.

1 Surgery

That is such a positive change from previous years where 5+ guys would be getting major operations. That means the offseason is about growth and not rehab.

Both seemed excited about adding Pagano

They both seemed pretty enthused about adding someone like Pagano and getting more aggressive.

Miller is one getting surgery (his shoulder) since Windy didn't tell us I had to watch.  Shame on him.

I didnt hear whole thing because I was blowing up an air mattress. But reading between lines it sounds to me like Nagy wants Hunt and Pace isn't so sure.  Or Pace is hedging in case he gets overruled and doesn't want to throw ownership under the bus.

37 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Miller is one getting surgery (his shoulder) since Windy didn't tell us I had to watch.  Shame on him.

I didnt hear whole thing because I was blowing up an air mattress. But reading between lines it sounds to me like Nagy wants Hunt and Pace isn't so sure.  Or Pace is hedging in case he gets overruled and doesn't want to throw ownership under the bus.

Whether they sign him or not I find it pretty odd that the question even got brought up by the media in the first place.

That said, It was refreshing to hear Nagy and Pace not dismiss the idea and appear open to signing him depending on what the NFL concludes from its investigation on Hunt.

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I’m not sure why going on Today show is that big a deal and why people are so upset by it.   

He put the spotlight on himself and got a pat on the back for failing his team mates. That moment, that miss, that game, was about more than just him. I also think that they did not like the move in terms of the local media and the fan base.

I think there is some anger because he did not show up to the open locker room on Monday to talk to reporters and left everyone else to answer questions and then he does a national media show.

On a more basic level. It is common practice to let the team know before you do national TV spots. I think they feel like he withheld it and did not give them the opportunity to weigh in.

14 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I’m not sure why going on Today show is that big a deal and why people are so upset by it.   

To use a trendy term, it seems tone-deaf to attract attention to oneself, less than a week after failing so miserably/publicly/predictably

The right time for some sort of redemption tour is usually AFTER one is redeemed by some sort of action, like say not missing a game winner?

I was surprised at how angry this made me, and genuinely think there is a good chance that he doesn't want to come back to the Bears any more than the fans want him back (and surely much of the locker room).  This may have been deliberate to get the team to cut him so he can still get paid and not have to walk in there again.  It's about as tin-foily as I get, but I have a really hard time figuring out why else he would do that TV spot

19 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

To use a trendy term, it seems tone-deaf to attract attention to oneself, less than a week after failing so miserably/publicly/predictably

The right time for some sort of redemption tour is usually AFTER one is redeemed by some sort of action, like say not missing a game winner?

I was surprised at how angry this made me, and genuinely think there is a good chance that he doesn't want to come back to the Bears any more than the fans want him back (and surely much of the locker room).  This may have been deliberate to get the team to cut him so he can still get paid and not have to walk in there again.  It's about as tin-foily as I get, but I have a really hard time figuring out why else he would do that TV spot

Could be.  Whatever the case I think he will be hard pressed to ever get another opportunity again kicking for an NFL team.

55 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

A pure lack of awareness, selfishness, and for a coach who preaches obsession our little elf kicker said football is what he does, it's not who he is. If that's not a giant F-U to Nagy and the Chicago Bears, I don't know what is.

Archived