Into the Offseason - 2019

Leoric

SI's 5000th mock draft. They have us drafting Rock Ya-Sin

Also this:

I also think many teams will be looking to trade down. “This is a good year to have as many second-, third- or fourth-round picks as you can,” one team’s decision-maker told me. While there may be a small group of very elite players at the top, he explained that there also seem to be more players with a starter grade than in other years, which is why those second- to fourth-rounders are so valuable. (New England, not so coincidentally, has seven picks from 32 to 134).

9 hours ago, Xenos said:

SI's 5000th mock draft. They have us drafting Rock Ya-Sin

Also this:

I think the trade down market will be tough this year, probably our best opportunity would obviously be if Lock or Jones were still there at 28 and some team wanted to get that 5th year and also get ahead of New England.  I could also see a team wanting to get up for possibly Fant, Jacobs or maybe Simmons as well.  Like that article said, the sweet spot in this draft is day two, so I just don't see a lot of teams wanting to part with those picks easily.  I just don't see a lot of grade descrepency when you're talking about Ya-Sin vs. Layne vs. Lonnie Johnson, or Adderley vs. Thompson vs. CGJ,  Risner vs. McGary vs. Deiter and so on and so on in this draft

On 4/16/2019 at 12:11 PM, The LBC said:

I just feel like the kicking out at opposing players thing as well as the putting his own coaching staff on blast thing are the type of character issues that Telesco and the organization aren't willing to forgive (or at least are going to cause them to mark him down significantly).  DUI's, minor legal run-in's early in their collegiate career where there's a demonstrated history of getting back on the straight and narrow, they seem willing to swallow that.  Simmons, like I said, I can pretty much guarantee he's off their board.

I can't see them taking Lawrence either.  Maybe if he were to fall to the 3rd, but he's not going to fall to the 3rd.  I think guys like Armon Watts, Renell Wren, and DreMont Jones - in addition to Saunders (possibly Trysten Hill too), are in play on Day 2 if they don't take a DT in the 1st.  And guys like Cortez Broughton, Keke Kingsley, and Gerald Willis (I know some folks are high on him, but I feel like the clear fact that he's got those pad-level issues he has to improve or he's going to get handled in the NFL, is going to drop him down) on Day 3.

So I'm curious why you think they'll endorse Trysten Hill but Tillery, as they have the same problems with their coaching staff/suspension at some point (Hill after Frost left, Tillery before Kelly did). I'm curious about SImmons.  Not that I endorse what he did, but it was an weird situation (pulled a woman off his mom when they were fighting, and hit her) as a 17 year old and he's reportedly been a model citizen since, and seems to have learned from it, so I think he's a weird case that might still be on the board for them. But yeah I would bet that its down to Wilkins or OT for the 1st pick.  I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if our 2nd rounder is either a C (IOL in general like Jenkins, etc), RB or CB, in fact I'd bet that one of those positions is a day 2 pick, since you know how much TT likes to draft for future need in the 2nd. 

Yeah anything I've heard about Simmons has been glowing, I'd be willing to forgive that one transgression as a 17 year old.  Seems like he's walked the line since, no reason to give the kid the death penalty over one mistake.  There's also rumors that he's running already and may only miss the first six games (maybe that's being spread by his people though).  If that's true, I would say he's going in the top 20-25.  We've seen lesser talents (Willis McGahee) taken sooner.  

I'm gonna stand by my DB pick in the first.  Not sure if its CB/S but I feel it will be secondary player.  Unless one of the top offensive tackles falls to us, is the only exception.  Tillery doesn't seem like our type of pick considering the character stuff (rumored stuff if true), neither does Lawrence.  I could see Wilkins if he's there.  I will admit McGary and Risner make some sense, considering they could provide some positional versatility.  My top 3 in order

Ford (probably dreaming)

Adderley

Gardner-Johnson

On 4/22/2019 at 5:11 PM, Duffman57 said:

So I'm curious why you think they'll endorse Trysten Hill but Tillery, as they have the same problems with their coaching staff/suspension at some point (Hill after Frost left, Tillery before Kelly did). I'm curious about SImmons.  Not that I endorse what he did, but it was an weird situation (pulled a woman off his mom when they were fighting, and hit her) as a 17 year old and he's reportedly been a model citizen since, and seems to have learned from it, so I think he's a weird case that might still be on the board for them. But yeah I would bet that its down to Wilkins or OT for the 1st pick.  I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if our 2nd rounder is either a C (IOL in general like Jenkins, etc), RB or CB, in fact I'd bet that one of those positions is a day 2 pick, since you know how much TT likes to draft for future need in the 2nd. 

Hill's "concern" seems more like a case of his HC pulling a "my way or the highway" power trip and, could he have probably handled it better?  Sure.  Tillery having kicked opposing players in piles on the field is likely a bridge too far for Telesco.

I don't know why, probably because he has technical flaws that need to be fixed - which is why he's likely to fall into the heart of Day 2 possibly even to the later parts of it, but I can see TT having Connor McGovern rated highly.  Whether Meyer does is a different question.  But I also feel like they're not just going to out and out give up on Quessenberry; he's going to get a shot - I mean, hell, Tevi got a shot.  So if they draft IOL it's going to be someone capable of playing 2-3 spots, I feel like.

52 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I don't know why, probably because he has technical flaws that need to be fixed - which is why he's likely to fall into the heart of Day 2 possibly even to the later parts of it, but I can see TT having Connor McGovern rated highly.  Whether Meyer does is a different question.  But I also feel like they're not just going to out and out give up on Quessenberry; he's going to get a shot - I mean, hell, Tevi got a shot.  So if they draft IOL it's going to be someone capable of playing 2-3 spots, I feel like.

Sounds a lot like McGary or Risner

4 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Sounds a lot like McGary or Risner

Both of those guys are, and should, get every opportunity to play OT before being moved inside.  Especially Risner.  I honestly don't see any reason why, barring like 1 particular scheme fit, he couldn't potentially play an of the 5 OL positions in the NFL.

21 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Both of those guys are, and should, get every opportunity to play OT before being moved inside.  Especially Risner.  I honestly don't see any reason why, barring like 1 particular scheme fit, he couldn't potentially play an of the 5 OL positions in the NFL.

I'll defer to you on this, but from what I've seen, I don't believe Risner can hold up against speed on the outside.  It seems like I'm in the minority on this opinion, if we go that route, I hope he proves me wrong

28 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I'll defer to you on this, but from what I've seen, I don't believe Risner can hold up against speed on the outside.  It seems like I'm in the minority on this opinion, if we go that route, I hope he proves me wrong

You're not going to get guys that don't have some kind of weakness in the bottom of the 1st round.  I actually see a lot of similarity - prospect for prospect - between Risner and Andrew Whitworth when he was coming out of LSU.  Arms are a shade (not much) shorter than Whit's, but their style of play and how they win is really, really similar.

18 hours ago, The LBC said:

You're not going to get guys that don't have some kind of weakness in the bottom of the 1st round.  I actually see a lot of similarity - prospect for prospect - between Risner and Andrew Whitworth when he was coming out of LSU.  Arms are a shade (not much) shorter than Whit's, but their style of play and how they win is really, really similar.

Well if he ends up being Andrew Whitworth, sign me up.  I'd definitely take that.  

On another note, where's that dude at from last year with all the predictions?  The Taven Bryan whisperer lol

3 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Well if he ends up being Andrew Whitworth, sign me up.  I'd definitely take that.  

On another note, where's that dude at from last year with all the predictions?  The Taven Bryan whisperer lol

He wasn't totally wrong.  I trust Kyle Posey when he was relaying in real-time on Draft Day that the team was targeting Tremaine Edmunds, then Buffalo jumped up on front of them, and had Derwin not been there, the team would have otherwise been all set to take Bryan.

10 hours ago, The LBC said:

He wasn't totally wrong.  I trust Kyle Posey when he was relaying in real-time on Draft Day that the team was targeting Tremaine Edmunds, then Buffalo jumped up on front of them, and had Derwin not been there, the team would have otherwise been all set to take Bryan.

That came across wrong, I wasn't clowning him or questioning his info, (I don't remember if it was him or someone else that mentioned after the draft that we were trying to trade back into the first for Bryan) it was just at the time he put Bryan with us I had never even heard Taven's name connected to the Chargers.  I think Posey put Mike Williams with us in 2017 also if I remember correctly?  I'm sure he has some good info, was hoping he'd post again this year

1 hour ago, BoltsFan937 said:

That came across wrong, I wasn't clowning him or questioning his info, (I don't remember if it was him or someone else that mentioned after the draft that we were trying to trade back into the first for Bryan) it was just at the time he put Bryan with us I had never even heard Taven's name connected to the Chargers.  I think Posey put Mike Williams with us in 2017 also if I remember correctly?  I'm sure he has some good info, was hoping he'd post again this year

He actually got poached away to run the entire Niners end of SB Nation.  I'm still in contact with the other Chargers SB Nation guys (Garrett, Jamie, Daniel, Rich), so is @Duffman57.  This will be the first year I don't participate in some capacity on their Draft Day  Simulcast, since i'm on-call to pop up in a similar capacity on Turf Show Times'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

He actually got poached away to run the entire Niners end of SB Nation.  I'm still in contact with the other Chargers SB Nation guys (Garrett, Jamie, Daniel, Rich), so is @Duffman57.  This will be the first year I don't participate in some capacity on their Draft Day  Simulcast, since i'm on-call to pop up in a similar capacity on Turf Show Times'.

That’s awesome man, good for you guys! I’ve watched a few of those mocks/simulcasts over the years, always entertaining