Into the Offseason - 2019

Leoric

37 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Tillery? Man with Ford and Taylor still on the board?

Maybe they were not as high on teams' boards as people think. At least in the first round given what happened.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Tillery? Man with Ford and Taylor still on the board?

Telesco painted himself into a corner - as he tends to do - and the board didn't fall the way he needed it to (like it did last year) to pass on the positional need he'd done nothing to address all offseason and punt to the depth of Day 2.  He passes on Tillery there and he's basically depending on (and probably having to trade up to get) Khalen Saunders, Renell Wren, or DreMont Jones.

Also, Taylor has multiple medical red flags (back and knee, per Tony Pauline), so there's good reason to pass on him when you're talking about a 300+ lb man.

I didn't think Tillery would pass Telesco's schoolboy inspection, but two schools of thought on that: Desperation made TT willing to forgive certain things or the Chargers actually have a culture with Lynn/Thomas Davis/Heyward that they feel confident in their ability to wrangle in guys who had character issues coming in.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Telesco painted himself into a corner - as he tends to do - and the board didn't fall the way he needed it to (like it did last year) to pass on the positional need he'd done nothing to address all offseason and punt to the depth of Day 2.  He passes on Tillery there and he's basically depending on (and probably having to trade up to get) Khalen Saunders, Renell Wren, or DreMont Jones.

Also, Taylor has multiple medical red flags (back and knee, per Tony Pauline), so there's good reason to pass on him when you're talking about a 300+ lb man.

I didn't think Tillery would pass Telesco's schoolboy inspection, but two schools of thought on that: Desperation made TT willing to forgive certain things or the Chargers actually have a culture with Lynn/Thomas Davis/Heyward that they feel confident in their ability to wrangle in guys who had character issues coming in.

According to Eric Williams, Tillery was also the last player that the team had a first round grade on:

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41062466-4

Looking to add some juice to their interior pass rush, the Chargers grabbed Notre Dame defensive tackle Jerry Tillery at No. 28. With his length and ability to push the pocket, Tillery should help Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram get home more consistently on the pass rush and improve the Bolts’ ability to stop the run. Chargers GM Tom Telesco said that Tillery was the last guy on the board his personnel department had a first-round grade on.

Edited by Xenos

I don't put a whole lot of stock in what the GM says immediately following the first round pick.  What's he gonna say, "well we really had our heart set on Lawrence and Wilkins but they were gone so we settled for Tillery"?  And it just so happens he's the last guy on our board  with a first round pick at arguably our greatest position of need, thats awful convenient lol.  Maybe they did have a first round grade on Tillery, who knows.  I'm not unhappy with the pick, maybe not what I would have done, but I trust the front office, on to tomorrow night!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The LBC said:

I do wonder if the coaching staff is thinking about kicking Lamp to RT. That could also explain TT not reaching for a tackle.

1 hour ago, game3525 said:

I do wonder if the coaching staff is thinking about kicking Lamp to RT. That could also explain TT not reaching for a tackle.

Other thought is they want Lamp at RG and don't want the entire right side to be starting their first NFL seasons. While we definitely needed IDL help which Tillery should bring, just imagine Rivers and Gordon having a solid O-line. 

14 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Same. And that’s why I’m home on the couch and not the GM lol. Great draft so far for us in my opinion 

lol, same.

I thought TT might package the 2nd and 4th to trade up for a tackle. Glad he stayed put, Adderley is a major upgrade from Addae. 

• Like 3