Into the Offseason - 2019

Leoric

6 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

Tranquill makes a lot of sense with the way we want to run our defense. This defense has always resembled a Quinn 43U rather than what we've seen in the past with Bradley. Quinn has always been a guy that prioritized longer, explosive/fast, smart/instinctive and aggressive MLB's who are more straight forward athletes than change of direction guys.  Tranquill follows the mold of Deion Jones/Telvin Smith that Richard Smith/Gus liked in that role in the past. He's not really fully ready right now, and you can see that he doesn't always trust what he sees and doesn't shoot gaps like he has the opportunities to, which I think is something that TD and the coaching staff will force him into. 

I don't think LEO will ever be a position they spend a high pick on unless they're basically a pass rusher who can play a little bit of LB without being totally exposed (like Nwosu), since it's a position that is on the field roughly 20% of snaps.  I think Egbule is a great fit there. He's aggressive, powerful and has a LOT of straight line explosiveness, and you see his ability to close.   I think he'll be a guy that's good enough to hold down the position as a platoon with Nwosu for a long time. The guy I think I saw that I like the comparison to for Egbule is Devon Kennard, who is just an average, versatile starting LB for the Giants.

It's very clear that they want a 1 gapping, aggressive front 7, especially with our DB group now.  I'm still super salty about Saunders being snagged before us, but the more I hear about Pipkins the more hope I have for him.  He actually reminds me a lot of what Notebloom was last year, who Kromer (Meyer's long time mentor) "overdrafted" in the 3rd round last year, after he was pegged as a 5th+ round pick.  Going to need some developing but can be a good player. But I just think Saunders is such a perfect fit for what we are aiming to do with our DL and he was my guy all year long. Probably not going to get over that one unless he flops completely....

Seeing as he now plays for KC, let's hope he flops indeed. You know anything about Cortez Broughton? He's one of the few guys picked in the 7th round that got an A from pundits.

7 minutes ago, Xenos said:

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Phillips after this season since he's only here for one year.

Wont' be shocked if they're trying to comp-pick him up.  Give him the opportunity to make a stronger case by showing that production didn't just come out of nowhere - while buying more time to develop the likes of Rayshawn and the guys they drafted this year - and then let him go out on the market to get his money, while the Chargers recoup a decent comp pick for him.

8 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Seeing as he now plays for KC, let's hope he flops indeed. You know anything about Cortez Broughton? He's one of the few guys picked in the 7th round that got an A from pundits.

jrry absolutely loved him.  He's another higher SPARQ/Relative Athletic Score guy (his RAS was on par with Michael Bennett's and Muhammad Wilkerson's) among his peers in the draft class.  He was pretty darn productive at Cincinnati and in the Big East in general.  The guy was like the Marcus Mariota of DT's in that he was beset with a new position coach nearly every year of college, so he's never really had year-to-year consistency in terms of his instruction, so his development is lagging behind; consistency in that department should definitely help him.  Ultimately, he's kind of one of those jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none but in the 7th round that's fine, there's a clear path to the roster for him in the same vein there was for Rochell and Philon as late Day 3 picks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

jrry absolutely loved him.  He's another higher SPARQ/Relative Athletic Score guy (his RAS was on par with Michael Bennett's and Muhammad Wilkerson's) among his peers in the draft class.  He was pretty darn productive at Cincinnati and in the Big East in general.  The guy was like the Marcus Mariota of DT's in that he was beset with a new position coach nearly every year of college, so he's never really had year-to-year consistency in terms of his instruction, so his development is lagging behind; consistency in that department should definitely help him.  Ultimately, he's kind of one of those jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none but in the 7th round that's fine, there's a clear path to the roster for him in the same vein there was for Rochell and Philon as late Day 3 picks.

Is he a tweener then? Someone who can play 3-Tech and 1-Tech?

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Is he a tweener then? Someone who can play 3-Tech and 1-Tech?

I'd say more naturally a 3-Tech than a 1-Tech, at least until he puts on a bit more mass and we see how it affects his athleticism.  He has the skills to anchor against double-teams that suggest he could fill the 1-Tech in time, but he needs to get stronger to do that.  Fortunately, even for a shorter (6'2") guy, he's got really good discipline about getting his hands and eyes up to bat down balls if he can't penetrate to get through his assigned gap(s).

Keep your eyes on UDFA Reggie Howard DT Toledo.  A little undersized at 6'3 280 lbs but has a good get off and made a lot of plays in the backfield.  Played in the MAC, which is every bit as good as the Mountain West or Conference USA and held his own against better competition.  Frame is probably maxed out, but I think he could be in play as a rotation guy on passing downs.  Didn't see much else I liked on the UDFA list, but as a disclaimer I'm not familiar with a lot of those guys either

Okay... I'm watching Matt Waldman's 30min video on Easton Stick and its actually making me feel quite a bit better about using a 5th on him. The kid definitely shows some potential and certain things seem to come natural to him like working the pocket or making multiple reads. Well worth a watch on youtube if someone has 30mins to burn.

2 hours ago, Zappaz said:

Okay... I'm watching Matt Waldman's 30min video on Easton Stick and its actually making me feel quite a bit better about using a 5th on him. The kid definitely shows some potential and certain things seem to come natural to him like working the pocket or making multiple reads. Well worth a watch on youtube if someone has 30mins to burn.

Even if all he ever becomes is a decent back-up, its worth the pick.  From a salary standpoint alone, keeps us from spending money on a guy like Taylor in FA to be the back-up

23 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Even if all he ever becomes is a decent back-up, its worth the pick.  From a salary standpoint alone, keeps us from spending money on a guy like Taylor in FA to be the back-up

Oh I agree there. At least he appears to be a step above some of the other "development" guys we've brought in over the course of Rivers' career.... also it should mean the end of Cardale Jones in a Chargers uni. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Zappaz said:

Oh I agree there. At least he appears to be a step above some of the other "development" guys we've brought in over the course of Rivers' career.... also it should mean the end of Cardale Jones in a Chargers uni. 

I felt the same way you did though when we initially drafted him, thought it was a waste of a pick.  But again, if he can play himself into the back-up role, there's value in that

1 hour ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I felt the same way you did though when we initially drafted him, thought it was a waste of a pick.  But again, if he can play himself into the back-up role, there's value in that

I hate wasting a roster spot on a 3rd QB. Hopefully he can show enough to be on the practice squad. Cardale is a train wreck. Tyrod is above average as a back up and doubt a rookie can beat him out. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

I hate wasting a roster spot on a 3rd QB. Hopefully he can show enough to be on the practice squad. Cardale is a train wreck. Tyrod is above average as a back up and doubt a rookie can beat him out. 

We can probably sneak him onto the practice squad, unless he totally lights it up in pre-season.  Which is doubtful considering they'll want to get Tyrod reps

Watched the East West Shrine Game to take a look at Pipkins (Broughton is in it too).  Pipkins definitely has athleticism but he's got a lot of work to do.  I give him zero chance to see the field this year, but there's plenty of tools to work with and hopefully our staff can get it out of him

On 4/29/2019 at 9:03 PM, BoltsFan937 said:

We can probably sneak him onto the practice squad, unless he totally lights it up in pre-season.  Which is doubtful considering they'll want to get Tyrod reps

Unless he completely sucks during preseason, he may get poached if he goes on the PS. You need at least three QBs for the preseason anyways.

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Unless he completely sucks during preseason, he may get poached if he goes on the PS. You need at least three QBs for the preseason anyways.

But that's awful hard to do as a late round quarterback.  I mean, you have to play so well that another team is willing to cut their back-up (who knows their playbook and system) or go with 3 QBs on the roster, to make room for you.  Most teams I would venture to say, have an adequate backup that they're comfortable with, that unless Stick looks like the 2nd coming, theyre not gonna poach him