Into the Offseason - 2019

Leoric

On 1/17/2019 at 1:11 PM, The LBC said:

Just a reminder, you don't have to have a player's contract expire when you expect him to retire, provided the team is willing to eat a dead money cap-hit in the year(s) remaining on the contract after the retirement actually does occur (sadly, I'd expect Dean to be the type of cheapskate that would try to "recover" a pro-rated portion of a signing bonus for which he didn't actually play that contract year - but McGuire is capable of figuring this stuff out and has enoguh rapport built up with the Spanos clan you'd figure he could communicate this stuff in advance) for pro-rated hits from the signing bonus.

That said, i do think Rivers would play an additional couple seasons as long as he feels physically capable.

Now, I'll be honest, I don't expect Telesco's drafting approach to change unless some sort of phenomenal value falls to the team (and we've seen where he's much more prone in "push years" to trading up to go after what he perceives as a need before ever jumping on the value; if Kyle Posey's sources are to be believed, had Derwin not fallen to the Chargers in the 1st last year they were all geared up to select Taven Bryan - even as a perceived reach).

The DT bit is likely going to depend on what technique they aim to play Justin Jones at moving forward (everything seems to indicate the team has always been extraordinarily high on him).  I'd argue that the smartest thing to do would actually be to take advantage of this unusually strong (particularly for blocking scheme fit) top of the OT class and put Tevi where he belongs (as a swing tackle).

I'd agree with Boltstrikes on the WR front.  I wouldn't sweat putting emphasis on finding a Tyrell replacement (the team has always managed to do well historically identifying priority rookie FA's who can grow into that WR2/WR3 role), I'd look more to Day 3 and getting someone to replace Benjamin in his role and finally get Rivers the kind of player his particular game has always lent itself to (going back to NC State) and the team has never really given him: That speedy WR/RB hybrid akin to a Randall Cobb.  The guy who can actually take those jet-sweeps and if he gets the corner can turn them into 40-plus yard gains rather than 10-15 yard ones.  It's also someone who can (in most cases of guys who fit this role) take some of the load off of Ekeler and King in the return game.

What this team needs more than anything on defense is a leader - a chessmaster, so to speak.  Derwin is clearly an emotional leader, but Derwin is at his best when he can take his own assignment and do a little freelancing for his own given role on a play based off what he reads; he's not the guy you want lining everyone else up and making on-field adjustments.  Perryman was capable of that, but Perryman can't stay on the field.  A truly instinctive linebacker would go far in this defense and this scheme (it also provides someone beyond Bradley who can actually make adjustments in-game if Gus won't or doesn't).  A guy like TJ Edwards and Khalil Hodge, despite some athleticism shortcomings, would be huge.

Just looking at the TT press conference, OT, and LB seem to be at the top of the list for them. And we all know TT's been fairly consistent in having a position in mind, and finding his guy at that position in round 1.  Luckily it hasn't resulted in many real reaches so far.  But that lends itself to OT moreso than LB.  That opinion may or may not have anything to do with my draft crush on Andre Dillard.  

It seems like DT is going to be a 2nd tier need moving forward, and they're going to try to find a project type that has burst and can just purely penetrate, someone like Saunders, Rennell Wren.  I can't see them going with a 1st round DL even if they let Mebane walk (maybe if they let Philon walk, but I just plain don't see that happening with a 25yo home grown player).

But I'm curious what you think about balancing the two things that you've mentioned about our LB situation.  We've talked in the past about how much Gus needs that cleanup guy who has the burst to shoot gaps and run sideline to sideline when they see the opportunity (you mentioned Pratt, Jones, and I really like Terrill Hanks for this role).  How do you think you'd balance having the QB of the D, and give up some of the athleticism that Gus generally loves and somewhat needs to fill the role there.  This has been a really interesting give and take to me. Jones is actually a guy I could see taking on both roles and the more I watch of him, I really like him, but i'm not totally sure about him in the 2nd regard. Any thoughts on that.

3 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

Just looking at the TT press conference, OT, and LB seem to be at the top of the list for them. And we all know TT's been fairly consistent in having a position in mind, and finding his guy at that position in round 1.  Luckily it hasn't resulted in many real reaches so far.  But that lends itself to OT moreso than LB.  That opinion may or may not have anything to do with my draft crush on Andre Dillard.  

It seems like DT is going to be a 2nd tier need moving forward, and they're going to try to find a project type that has burst and can just purely penetrate, someone like Saunders, Rennell Wren.  I can't see them going with a 1st round DL even if they let Mebane walk (maybe if they let Philon walk, but I just plain don't see that happening with a 25yo home grown player).

But I'm curious what you think about balancing the two things that you've mentioned about our LB situation.  We've talked in the past about how much Gus needs that cleanup guy who has the burst to shoot gaps and run sideline to sideline when they see the opportunity (you mentioned Pratt, Jones, and I really like Terrill Hanks for this role).  How do you think you'd balance having the QB of the D, and give up some of the athleticism that Gus generally loves and somewhat needs to fill the role there.  This has been a really interesting give and take to me. Jones is actually a guy I could see taking on both roles and the more I watch of him, I really like him, but i'm not totally sure about him in the 2nd regard. Any thoughts on that.

I think another guy that fits that mold is Khalil Hodge.  Guy is just a tackling machine with a nose for the ball.  He's not a "penetrator" in the manner of someone who is going to be sent on the blitz, but he's the guy who reads the play really well in-process and when he identifies the ball-carrier, he gets there at all costs.

Also, I need to watch some more tape on him when it comes available, but I've liked what I've seen so far from the kid out of Texas Tech - Dakota Allen.  I don't question his instincts, but I do question his awareness (as weird as that sounds for that combination to exist).  He's great when he stays off blocks, but he's really inconsistent in terms of seeing blockers coming from angles on him.  It's like night and day watching him versus iso-blocking schemes and zone-blocking schemes.

23 hours ago, The LBC said:

I think another guy that fits that mold is Khalil Hodge.  Guy is just a tackling machine with a nose for the ball.  He's not a "penetrator" in the manner of someone who is going to be sent on the blitz, but he's the guy who reads the play really well in-process and when he identifies the ball-carrier, he gets there at all costs.

Honestly I liked him, but him showing up at 255 is a bit much for me.  I think he needs to be closer to 240 to be more effective in this scheme.  255 is HEAVY.

On 2/3/2019 at 4:12 PM, Duffman57 said:

Honestly I liked him, but him showing up at 255 is a bit much for me.  I think he needs to be closer to 240 to be more effective in this scheme.  255 is HEAVY.

I mean, he is what he is and what he is is more KJ Wright than Bobby Wagner (it's not like Wagners grow on trees), but he can definitely fit into the scheme.  I'm not sure that TT and Gus will go this route, but I've always been one that'll take top-notch instincts over top-notch athleticism from off-ball linebackers - particularly guys on the spine.

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2019/2/5/18204691/players-chopping-block-help-chargers

Essentially listing Marcell Dareus, Desean Jackson, Sean Lee as potential targets for us. 

Dareus is the only one I’d be happy to sign. With Henderson, Dareus and Suh available I expect us to bring someone in FA to fill in at DT. Not necessarily one of those three but there should be some value available somewhere for us.

I don’t see the need for Desean Jackson. Yea it’d be nice to cut Benjamin but I doubt Jackson signs for a team friendly deal.

I want no part of Sean Lee. Dude is more fragile then Fred Taylor. 

On 2/14/2019 at 12:10 PM, Boltstrikes said:

Making a run at Suh? That’s a ton of cap space to clear up. 

If they were serious about paying a DT top dollar - though it would almost certainly mean saying adios to the likes of Philon - they'd be better off going after Gerald McCoy than Suh.  Or offering up something to the Jets to see if they couldn't pry loose Leonard Williams.  That said, this is more-likely-than-not a case of just freeing up cap space where they can to extend Bosa (because the guy is going to be seeking - whether he gets it or not is another question, but he'll definitely be seeking - at bare minimum $18M AAV) and he and Ingram hit free agency in the same year, and that's a year after Rivers (assuming he extends) and Pouncey hit FA and would already have new contracts/bonuses on the books.

On 2/4/2019 at 7:54 PM, The LBC said:

I mean, he is what he is and what he is is more KJ Wright than Bobby Wagner (it's not like Wagners grow on trees), but he can definitely fit into the scheme.  I'm not sure that TT and Gus will go this route, but I've always been one that'll take top-notch instincts over top-notch athleticism from off-ball linebackers - particularly guys on the spine.

You should go watch Jeffery Allison.  The more I watch him the more perfect he is for this defense and that MLB role.  He's going to be much more athletic than most expect from him, and he's got the kind of instincts you talked about with Hodges/Edwards

1 hour ago, Duffman57 said:

You should go watch Jeffery Allison.  The more I watch him the more perfect he is for this defense and that MLB role.  He's going to be much more athletic than most expect from him, and he's got the kind of instincts you talked about with Hodges/Edwards

I'll take a look.  Your boy Pratt, on further, inspection has some quality instincts too, he just needs to learn to trust them more; you can legitimately see him overthinking when diagnosing a number of plays right after the snap.  He has some technical stuffs he needs to clean up (block-shedding, sifting through trash, probably honing his strike-zone a bit better), but the instincts coupled with that natural athleticism should have coaches clamoring to what to work with him.

Terrell Hanks is a guy that's growing very quickly on me the more and more I watch of him, too.  His athleticism is underrated, but his instincts are on another level more times than not.  He's one of those safeties that converted to LB, but he underwent the transition as a collegiate freshman so he's been playing the LB position for a while now.  He may be more of a WILL than a MIKE, but I see an unpolished gem that has Lavonte David/Bobby Wagner level of upside (same gut feeling on him this year that I had last year on Leonard).

8 hours ago, The LBC said:

I'll take a look.  Your boy Pratt, on further, inspection has some quality instincts too, he just needs to learn to trust them more; you can legitimately see him overthinking when diagnosing a number of plays right after the snap.  He has some technical stuffs he needs to clean up (block-shedding, sifting through trash, probably honing his strike-zone a bit better), but the instincts coupled with that natural athleticism should have coaches clamoring to what to work with him.

Terrell Hanks is a guy that's growing very quickly on me the more and more I watch of him, too.  His athleticism is underrated, but his instincts are on another level more times than not.  He's one of those safeties that converted to LB, but he underwent the transition as a collegiate freshman so he's been playing the LB position for a while now.  He may be more of a WILL than a MIKE, but I see an unpolished gem that has Lavonte David/Bobby Wagner level of upside (same gut feeling on him this year that I had last year on Leonard).

Hanks is my guy moreso than Pratt.  

To be honest both remind me of guys who have played the position in the Smith/Bradley D.  Hanks much more clearly fits that Deion Jones/Telvin Smith type of play style.  He's got the instincts, and the flat out aggression to fly downhill and make plays for a smaller guy. He's bigger than those two, but he fits very well in that role IMO, with two other guys who in almost every other scheme are Will LB's. 

Pratt has a little more of that Wagner type of talent coming out.  Guy might run in the 4.4's at 240 (was tracked as the fastest player at the Sr. bowl a couple of days). He's also got that kind of playstyle.  He's a little bit more passive, he'll flow with the play 3-5 yards off the ball because he know's he has the explosiveness to get to a play.  Wagner was the same way at USU.  He needs to get better at trusting himself like you said.  He gets hesitant when he gets to a spot and can start to breakdown early and lose all of his power and get blown up.