Into the Offseason - 2019

Leoric

11 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

Is Josh Rosen really available for a 3rd rounder? Have Zona really decided on Murray?

If so we should jump on that, yes?

If you want to push Rivers out the door, sure.  Rivers has another 2 seasons (which means, other than preseason, you'd get no years of seeing Rosen under center as the starter before having to commit to paying him the pricey 5th-year-option because you have to exercise the option before the start of the 4th season) at least left in him and Rosen is a meh QB (I mean ultimately, scarcity propped up his talent or at the very least his ceiling) with a concerning concussion history.  Suffice to say, Josh Rosen isn't outdueling Pat Mahomes for the next 15 years.

9 hours ago, The LBC said:

If you want to push Rivers out the door, sure.  Rivers has another 2 seasons (which means, other than preseason, you'd get no years of seeing Rosen under center as the starter before having to commit to paying him the pricey 5th-year-option because you have to exercise the option before the start of the 4th season) at least left in him and Rosen is a meh QB (I mean ultimately, scarcity propped up his talent or at the very least his ceiling) with a concerning concussion history.  Suffice to say, Josh Rosen isn't outdueling Pat Mahomes for the next 15 years.

Well I don’t look at this as forcing Rivers out I mean he doesn’t want to play forever so maybe another 2-3 years and we can give Rosen some time to adjust put all his woes behind him from Arizona and even UCLA where he’s basically had a different coaching staff and/or OC most of his career. If Arizona does move on let’s also factor in the cost a third round pick or a third round pick and change for a highly touted QB that went top 10 last season and would likely go top 10 this season. I mean teams spend 3rd rounders on intriguing backups that you want to take a look at. There definitely is some promise there but if you simply don’t believe in Rosen being THE GUY that’s fine. I also wouldn’t want to spend a first rounder on a QB in the next couple of seasons to draft a successor if we are still competing for a championship add weapons that are of more immediate help. That’s my line of thinking. I guess I believe in Rosen more than you do. 

Not really excited about the prospects we have at 28 this year.  I was hoping for Bush, but I feel like he'll go right in front of us because he makes a lot of sense for a few different teams ahead of our pick.  I could get on board with Mack Wilson but it seems a little rich for the first round.  The offensive tackles don't really excite me at our pick and the same goes for the corners and defensive tackles.  There are a few safeties I like (Adderley, Abrams, Rapp, Gardner-Johnson) but our front office typically doesn't value that position in the first, and we spent a first on Derwin last year.  A couple guys I like that I haven't seen connected to us 

1. Erik McCoy - really like this kid. I think he can play any of the interior line spots and think he could help out our interior line. If god willing, Forrest Lamp lives up to his potential, adding Mccoy with Lamp and Pouncey should solidify our interior line.  Plus we have our center for the future following Pouncey.  That would relegate Feeney and/or Schofield to the bench for depth.

2. Marquise Brown - Hear me out.  Tyrell is leaving, and Benjamin is, well Benjamin.  We have Keenan and Mike Williams with not much quality depth behind them.  Not to mention neither are speed demons.  Brown would finally give us that home run threat we always hoped Benjamin would be.  I mean, could you imagine Keenan, Williams, Brown, Hunter and Gordon on the field together?  Thats pretty scary.  Brown gives us a guy that can win quickly, which lets Rivers get it out of his hand faster (Brady/Edelman) and would mask some of our oline problems.  Plus pumping up the offense covers some of our defensive flaws (kinda like KC last year).  He would give us our Tyreek Hill.  Plus the dudes nickname is Hollywood lol

The draft is going to be interesting.

TT normally uses the first round pick to attack the biggest weakness on the team. This year is different IMO since there are two major weak points that I put on equal footing. Our interior is crap and it really kills our offense against good front sevens and smart defensive teams. Also, we could use an upgrade on the second level with the linebackers, which was a major problem near the end of the season.

IMO, I really hope TT goes interior offensive line. The Pats game was a disaster. Our defense got shredded, but we couldn't help them out because our offense couldn't stay on the field due to the o-line breakdowns.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, game3525 said:

TT normally uses the first round pick to attack the biggest weakness on the team. This year is different IMO since there are two major weak points that I put on equal footing. Our interior is crap and it really kills our offense against good front sevens and smart defensive teams. Also, we could use an upgrade on the second level with the linebackers, which was a major problem near the end of the season.

IMO, I really hope TT goes interior offensive line. The Pats game was a disaster. Our defense got shredded, but we couldn't help them out because our offense couldn't stay on the field due to the o-line breakdowns.   

Agreed.  The interior offensive line has been a mess for years.  Again, hopefully Lamp gets on the field and gives us an upgrade.  Assuming White, Bush, Ford, Jonah, and Taylor are off the board (likely imo) then I think the decision could come down to Mack Wilson, Jerry Tillery, Erik McCoy, Chris Lindstrom....I wouldn't be upset with any of those guys.  I also like the Wisconsin guys - Edwards and Deiter, but not in the first, only if we traded back.  Really cant get a feel for it right now

• Like 1

4 hours ago, game3525 said:

Someone like Bradbury or Deiter (I feel like ideally you'd like a more natural center that you can push to guard until he's need to succeed Pouncey is the better route, but Deiter does have experience at all three positions: OT, OG, and C) could go a long way.  Feeney hasn't panned out at guard - maybe he's salvageable at center, but I wouldn't count on it.

Two guys that kind of stand out to me that the Chargers could be particularly interested in are Kaleb McGary (whether that's as a RT or a guard is a different question) and Cody Ford (if he falls - which he could as teams nitpick and some will write him off as strictly a guard as opposed to a tackle).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Someone like Bradbury or Deiter (I feel like ideally you'd like a more natural center that you can push to guard until he's need to succeed Pouncey is the better route, but Deiter does have experience at all three positions: OT, OG, and C) could go a long way.  Feeney hasn't panned out at guard - maybe he's salvageable at center, but I wouldn't count on it.

Two guys that kind of stand out to me that the Chargers could be particularly interested in are Kaleb McGary (whether that's as a RT or a guard is a different question) and Cody Ford (if he falls - which he could as teams nitpick and some will write him off as strictly a guard as opposed to a tackle).

I like Bradbury but I think he'll be gone before our pick.  That's why I really like McCoy if we go that route.  I feel like he can play all the interior positions and then transition to center in a few years.  Cody Ford would be an awesome pick if he fell to us ( I have him  going before us, but its possible he could fall to us).  I don't personally feel like McGary is worth the 28 pick.  Its probably nitpicking but I feel he's more of a day two guy.  Now, Telesco could see the positional need as worth the stretch, but I feel like we could get a better player at a different position there.

4 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I like Bradbury but I think he'll be gone before our pick.  That's why I really like McCoy if we go that route.  I feel like he can play all the interior positions and then transition to center in a few years.  Cody Ford would be an awesome pick if he fell to us ( I have him  going before us, but its possible he could fall to us).  I don't personally feel like McGary is worth the 28 pick.  Its probably nitpicking but I feel he's more of a day two guy.  Now, Telesco could see the positional need as worth the stretch, but I feel like we could get a better player at a different position there.

I'm of the opinion (and it's actually reflected in the Rams only mock I threw up in our sub) that when you're picking in the last 5 picks of the round, nitpicking that was guy is "more of (next) rounder" goes out the window.  Either you like him and you think he brings something to your team or you don't.  Quibbling over 5-10 picks worth of value when you're in those spots (i.e. you were one game removed from the Super Bowl - in almost all cases) is more harm than good.  You're far more in a worthwhile position to make modest reaches to fill needs when that's the state of your team.  Pats, Steelers, in some cases the Ravens, have a long history of that.

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

I'm of the opinion (and it's actually reflected in the Rams only mock I threw up in our sub) that when you're picking in the last 5 picks of the round, nitpicking that was guy is "more of (next) rounder" goes out the window.  Either you like him and you think he brings something to your team or you don't.  Quibbling over 5-10 picks worth of value when you're in those spots (i.e. you were one game removed from the Super Bowl - in almost all cases) is more harm than good.  You're far more in a worthwhile position to make modest reaches to fill needs when that's the state of your team.  Pats, Steelers, in some cases the Ravens, have a long history of that.

You're right, that's a good point.  And there's not 28 first rounders in this draft to begin with.   I guess I'm just not particularly high on McGary personally.  I feel like his arm length concerns are evident as he lunges a lot and gets caught off balance quite a bit.  The athleticism is there though, maybe that's something that can be coached?    There's guys I like more there and I mentioned Deiter and Edwards.  I know Edwards was playing hurt (shoulder) last season, but I'm not quite sure why his stock has fallen?  I get that he could use some polishing, but I really like the way he moves his feet, which I feel is the most important attribute to an offensive tackle.  I liken him to O'Neill out of Pitt, raw but theres tools to work with there

Edited by BoltsFan937

Merry christmas to me! Merry Christmas to me! Goodbye with your horrible back breaking personal fouls, poopy angles of pursuit, miserable coverage and worst tackling technique we’ve had since Cromartie. 

I'm glad we got Denzel taken care of and back in the fold, basically swapping out Addae for Perryman moneywise.  I'd really like to see us get Phillips re-signed along with Philon and possibly Square.  Was hoping maybe cut Benjamin and use that money on Phillips.  Surprised we havent gotten him taken care of yet

On 3/9/2019 at 12:03 PM, Boltstrikes said:

Merry christmas to me! Merry Christmas to me! Goodbye with your horrible back breaking personal fouls, poopy angles of pursuit, miserable coverage and worst tackling technique we’ve had since Cromartie. 

I'll take barbecue sauce with my crow.  I didn't think Telesco and Co. had it in them.  I really didn't.

Perryman's contract breakdown hit Spotrac:

Effectively a prove-it deal with a team option for Y2 if he manages to stay healthy and put things together.  At worst, it's insurance against having to go MLB early - which is likely a good thing given how much White and Bush have boosted their stock in the last couple months.

Let's Telesco play for value at #28 and if Mack Wilson starts to fall to around the mid-2nd round, the option of moving up in the 2nd for him is available since we know Telesco MUST FIND WAY TO NOT PICK IN RD 5.

Looking at the salary cap, and the looming contracts of Gordon, Bosa and possibly Rivers, I'd say the position where need and trimming money really connect is left tackle.  Okung is 31 with a backloaded contract, particularly after 2019.  I think if one of the tackles (Williams, Dillard, Taylor,) start to slide, it might make sense to make a small move up to secure one of these guys. I think we can plug defensive line, linebacker, safety fairly cheaply (or at least cost effectively) but these tackles (Trent Brown/Juwaun James) are getting paid.  If we can get our left tackle of the future secured on a rookie deal,  it would open up money for the above guys.  FTR, I believe Okung is scheduled to make 16.5 million in the final year of his deal  - I can't imagine he ever sees that money with some of our young guys due for new contracts