Into the Offseason - 2019

Leoric

1 hour ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Looking at the salary cap, and the looming contracts of Gordon, Bosa and possibly Rivers, I'd say the position where need and trimming money really connect is left tackle.  Okung is 31 with a backloaded contract, particularly after 2019.  I think if one of the tackles (Williams, Dillard, Taylor,) start to slide, it might make sense to make a small move up to secure one of these guys. I think we can plug defensive line, linebacker, safety fairly cheaply (or at least cost effectively) but these tackles (Trent Brown/Juwaun James) are getting paid.  If we can get our left tackle of the future secured on a rookie deal,  it would open up money for the above guys.  FTR, I believe Okung is scheduled to make 16.5 million in the final year of his deal  - I can't imagine he ever sees that money with some of our young guys due for new contracts

Don't forget Ingram who is a FA, I believe, the year after Bosa is.  As is, he may end up having to be a casualty to get Bosa on the ledger long-term unless he's willing to extend and restructure.  But I agree.  I wouldn't be shocked if Telesco uses his 3rd to move up in the 1st and ahead of certain teams who are likely looking for their LTotF's as well if he can land a guy he feels can slot in at RT this year and then move to the blind side once acclimated in 2020 (a la what most of us thought he was hoping to do when Lane Johnson went way earlier than anyone expected and he ended up reaching for Fluker).

I could see that being exactly what TT would want to do and wouldn't be mad at all about it. Locking up a top tackle for 5 years would save some serious money for other guys. Like you said, start them at RT next year to move Tevi to backup where he belongs then swap to LT. 

10 hours ago, The LBC said:

Don't forget Ingram who is a FA, I believe, the year after Bosa is.  As is, he may end up having to be a casualty to get Bosa on the ledger long-term unless he's willing to extend and restructure.  But I agree.  I wouldn't be shocked if Telesco uses his 3rd to move up in the 1st and ahead of certain teams who are likely looking for their LTotF's as well if he can land a guy he feels can slot in at RT this year and then move to the blind side once acclimated in 2020 (a la what most of us thought he was hoping to do when Lane Johnson went way earlier than anyone expected and he ended up reaching for Fluker).

I forgot Hunter Henry as well.  I'd say a cheaper replacement for Pouncey could be in order as well.  Pouncey and Benjamin both could be off the books after '19 (no idea how Benjamin is still on the team honestly) - thats roughly 14-15 million off the top of my head between those two.  Is Lamp a possibility at center?  I think the bucket we're gonna step in that should be avoided is Melvin Gordon.  I'm thinking he's gonna want Bell/Gurley money and quite honestly I don't feel hes worth that.  

I think the bucket we're gonna step in that should be avoided is Melvin Gordon. 

I think TT will let Gordon walk. 

Remember, he was in Indy when they let Edge go and Melvin will be around the same age James was when his deal is up. 

1 hour ago, game3525 said:

I think TT will let Gordon walk. 

Remember, he was in Indy when they let Edge go and Melvin will be around the same age James was when his deal is up. 

Wasn't Edge coming off an ACL though?  From what I've read, Gordon is sort of a complicated case for us.  He plays a replaceable position, he's been hampered by some injuries and I'm not sure if his numbers really stack up with guys like Bell/Gurley/Johnson etc.  However, he's a marketable player, who's extremely popular in the locker room, and by all accounts is a hard worker and exemplary teammate.    The thought is, it wouldn't be good for team morale if they just cut bait with Gordon, other players might think they won't get taken care of when their time comes for a new contract.  Management is afraid to "do him dirty" if you will, out of fear of upsetting the locker room.  It'll be interesting to see it play out

2 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Wasn't Edge coming off an ACL though?  From what I've read, Gordon is sort of a complicated case for us.  He plays a replaceable position, he's been hampered by some injuries and I'm not sure if his numbers really stack up with guys like Bell/Gurley/Johnson etc.  However, he's a marketable player, who's extremely popular in the locker room, and by all accounts is a hard worker and exemplary teammate.    The thought is, it wouldn't be good for team morale if they just cut bait with Gordon, other players might think they won't get taken care of when their time comes for a new contract.  Management is afraid to "do him dirty" if you will, out of fear of upsetting the locker room.  It'll be interesting to see it play out

Edge was coming off of his age 27 season in which he ran for over 1500 yards. 

I know TT is big on culture, but I don't think he is going to let MGIII popularity in the locker room play a factor when it comes to paying him. They will offer him a contract, but if Melvin's price tag is too high then they will let him walk. 

1 hour ago, game3525 said:

Edge was coming off of his age 27 season in which he ran for over 1500 yards. 

I know TT is big on culture, but I don't think he is going to let MGIII popularity in the locker room play a factor when it comes to paying him. They will offer him a contract, but if Melvin's price tag is too high then they will let him walk. 

Melvin's friends with Gurley and he's been supportive of Le'Veon Bell, I only assume he expects to be paid like those guys, or at least in the neighborhood.

On 3/10/2019 at 8:03 PM, The LBC said:

I'll take barbecue sauce with my crow.  I didn't think Telesco and Co. had it in them.  I really didn't.

What made you think that Telesco wasn't cold blooded? He cut Derek Cox after one season (his first big FA pickup). I'm sure there's something in their contracts where there's an easy out after two years so that's the timeline for when they get let go. Still awaiting Travis Benjamin's release.

18 hours ago, The LBC said:

Ingram and Bosa are Free Agents at the same time. They will want to extend Bosa soon though. And TT hasn't given up a pick to move up since 2015, and never anything higher than a 4th. This is the draft where you want to stay put if you're low enough in the 1st or try to trade down.

The cap really doesn’t mean anything until Rivers signs an extension. Without him we have all the money in the world and will be picking too 5 for half a decade. Until he extends though there is no way to predict who comes or goes. 

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

What made you think that Telesco wasn't cold blooded? He cut Derek Cox after one season (his first big FA pickup). I'm sure there's something in their contracts where there's an easy out after two years so that's the timeline for when they get let go. Still awaiting Travis Benjamin's release.

You answered your question for me.

The more I'm thinking about it, the more I feel as though Davis may be a Jatavis replacement and not a Perryman insurance policy (though he's likely both).  I'd imagine LB is still on the table during the draft given how old we are at the position and the fact that both guys are on 2 year deals (and at least Perryman's is basically a 1yr deal with a 2nd year team option), and that well see a LOT of White in the role that Phillips played last year.  

I'd bet the next move is to address Philon, and then look at the high upside/depth guys (Verrett, Liuget) in house and then maybe take a few more shots on low risk high reward guys (I could see Easley or a few guys like that).  I can't see much more happening in terms of bigger names. Address FS/OT/NT through the draft and get ready for next year.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Because Benji hasn't been released yet? It still could happen. Part of the problem is that he's the only true burner we have on the team.

Also TT has been very intentful with his releases. They're almost always met with a corresponding move unless someone legitimately needs to be off of the team sooner rather than later. Notice the Addae/Perryman moves were one after another. I'd expect a similar thing with Benjamin.  No reason to cut the guy if we're not going to use the money....I also don't think he's as bad as people want him to be, he was just outplayed by Tyrell, who's very good. 

4 hours ago, Xenos said:

Ingram and Bosa are Free Agents at the same time. They will want to extend Bosa soon though. And TT hasn't given up a pick to move up since 2015, and never anything higher than a 4th. This is the draft where you want to stay put if you're low enough in the 1st or try to trade down.

I disagree with the trade down scenario, unless it just costs too much to trade up.  I mean, if you're telling me its gonna cost a couple day three picks to move up and secure a quality offensive tackle then sign me up.  That third day of the draft is a crap shoot anyway for the most part.  And looking at our Oline

LT- Okung - 32 years old, injury history that we've been lucky to avoid for the most part, and loomimg 16 million in 2020

LG - Feeney - Below average

C - Pouncey - 30 years old, injury history that again we were lucky to avoid last year

RG - Schofield - Below average

RT - Tevi - I won't say anything

This offensive line is in  dire need of some talent in my opinion.  Hoping that Lamp sees his potential this year, that would help one of the guard spots.  Then if we came away with one of Taylor, Dillard, Williams or Ford and maybe double back in the 2nd on Jenkins, Deiter or( insert quality lineman of your choice) that would go a long way in helping solidify the line in my opinion. For clarification, I'm not talking about mortgaging the farm to move up, I'm talking about a few spots up in the 20's

Edited by BoltsFan937