Into the Offseason - 2019

Leoric

1 hour ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Agreed. I thought we might go up too. Have to give it to Duffman, he called Tillery in the first and said wait for a safety to fall. He was dead on

Yeah.  Think he was hearing from the same guy I was - we'll know if he confirms as much that they were all set to take Khalen Saunders in the 3rd and the Chiefs mucked that up.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Yeah.  Think he was hearing from the same guy I was - we'll know if he confirms as much that they were all set to take Khalen Saunders in the 3rd and the Chiefs mucked that up.

God DAMNIT.  Big fan of Saunders, and would have loved to develop him under Mebane.

Also IDK if you were talking about me or Sisti, but I have absolutely zero sources....Tillery and wait to see who falls made way too much sense to me. He just fit the mold.

Also what I think of Trey Pipkins: I don't know anything about him as a player.  From the small highlight vid i've seen, he's 2 things, dominant and absoultely nasty.  That's a good start. In the 1 series I saw in the Shrine game, he was very rough around the edges. You can tell he just didn't get the same coaching that these guys did. His hands were all over the place, punches landing super inconsistently and had no idea how to read moves. The important thing to me is that he wasn't outmatched physically at all.  He held his own there. Nobody beat him because his feet were too slow, and nobody beat him because they were able to throw him around. 

He's actually very similar of a prospect as McGary, and has a lot of similar measurables.  Incredibly good athlete testing-wise, that has a really nasty demeanor.  We probably see him as a big lump of clay that we can work with.  This is a scheme that requires a LOT of athleticism from it's OT's, and likes to have them block on the 2nd level and still be able to plow a 3T inside on down blocks. So they look for athleticism first and foremost (which I'm not the biggest fan of, but I digress).  I think he shows a lot of functional athleticism and potential, but it's a huge toss up as to how he ends up. You can see some similar traits in guys like Joe Notebloom, Davenport, Le'Raven Clarke, etc etc. We'll see if he works out, but it's worth giving a shot to a guy who is a top end athlete that is super mature and coachable.  I don't mind it, knowing that there's a legit chance he may flop.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Duffman57 said:

God DAMNIT.  Big fan of Saunders, and would have loved to develop him under Mebane.

Also IDK if you were talking about me or Sisti, but I have absolutely zero sources....Tillery and wait to see who falls made way too much sense to me. He just fit the mold.

Also what I think of Trey Pipkins: I don't know anything about him as a player.  From the small highlight vid i've seen, he's 2 things, dominant and absoultely nasty.  That's a good start. In the 1 series I saw in the Shrine game, he was very rough around the edges. You can tell he just didn't get the same coaching that these guys did. His hands were all over the place, punches landing super inconsistently and had no idea how to read moves. The important thing to me is that he wasn't outmatched physically at all.  He held his own there. Nobody beat him because his feet were too slow, and nobody beat him because they were able to throw him around. 

He's actually very similar of a prospect as McGary, and has a lot of similar measurables.  Incredibly good athlete testing-wise, that has a really nasty demeanor.  We probably see him as a big lump of clay that we can work with.  This is a scheme that requires a LOT of athleticism from it's OT's, and likes to have them block on the 2nd level and still be able to plow a 3T inside on down blocks. So they look for athleticism first and foremost (which I'm not the biggest fan of, but I digress).  I think he shows a lot of functional athleticism and potential, but it's a huge toss up as to how he ends up. You can see some similar traits in guys like Joe Notebloom, Davenport, Le'Raven Clarke, etc etc. We'll see if he works out, but it's worth giving a shot to a guy who is a top end athlete that is super mature and coachable.  I don't mind it, knowing that there's a legit chance he may flop.

Damond Talbot raved about Pipkins' mean streak.  Figured he has potential eligibility as a guard as well, though he might need to add more weight to do that (he played at 290 lbs at Sioux Falls).  From what I remember of him at the Shrine Game, you're right his hands are inconsistent as hell, but when he lands them right they don't leave, his grip is damn good and is something that can be built from.

4 hours ago, game3525 said:

lol, same.

I thought TT might package the 2nd and 4th to trade up for a tackle. Glad he stayed put, Adderley is a major upgrade from Addae. 

To be fair. LBC with his crap knees would be an upgrade from Addae

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

Damond Talbot raved about Pipkins' mean streak.  Figured he has potential eligibility as a guard as well, though he might need to add more weight to do that (he played at 290 lbs at Sioux Falls).  From what I remember of him at the Shrine Game, you're right his hands are inconsistent as hell, but when he lands them right they don't leave, his grip is damn good and is something that can be built from.

Once upon a time we had a DL that we converted Madden style to LG. That dude went on to be the best OL the Chargers have had in my lifetime. Still miss you Kris. 

Well this draft is following precisely what we do every year...

- Draft biggest need in the 1st...check

- Catch a falling prospect we like in the 2nd...check

- Reach in the 3rd...check

- Don't move around and manipulate the draft...check

- At least one head scratcher (Drue Tranquill and maybe Pipkins)...check

The Pipkins pick I could live with, he has tools to develop thats worth taking a shot on.  But Tranquill?  That was brutal, with some of the guys still on the board there.  At best a depth/special teams player.  Definitely didn't like that one

Well by far my favorite day 3 pick is 7th rounder Cortez Broughton, that dude has a chance to make it.  Stick could be a good back-up.  Still not crazy about Tranquill in the fourth, thought there were better options there at other positions and better options at his position (Burr-Kirven, Cashman).  This draft almost has that 2014 draft feel to it.  Its probably gonna rest on Tillery and Adderley.  If those two guys become quality starters and a few of the other guys can contribute (hopefully more) then this will be a successful draft.  But if Tillery and Adderley bust for whatever reason, this class could end up being pretty bad

5 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

The Pipkins pick I could live with, he has tools to develop thats worth taking a shot on.  But Tranquill?  That was brutal, with some of the guys still on the board there.  At best a depth/special teams player.  Definitely didn't like that one

You need to go rewatch Tranquill.  If not for his knee concerns, he's an early Day 2 pick all day.  He's SPARQy (which was a theme in this year's draft and with Gus Guys, it seems), he's versatile, and he's smart as hell.  I'd pointed out a ways back that the Chargers needed someone who could be the onfield general/chessmaster like Weddle was... they brought in Thomas Davis to fill the initial hole and Tranquill is going to be able to take over that spot from him.  Tranquil was the best coverage LB in this draft class not named Devin.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Not seeing the pattern though. Derwin wasn't the biggest need in the 1st last year. Us not moving around and manipulating the draft was something I mentioned before. TT has learned from his first three years about trading up. 

As for Tranquill, I don't like the injury history but after reading about him, I see why they picked him in the 4th. He's a leader, played all three LB with the Irish, has better coverage skills than other LB like Wilson, is a student of the game, and had pretty decent combine numbers. 

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

You need to go rewatch Tranquill.  If not for his knee concerns, he's an early Day 2 pick all day.  He's SPARQy (which was a theme in this year's draft and with Gus Guys, it seems), he's versatile, and he's smart as hell.  I'd pointed out a ways back that the Chargers needed someone who could be the onfield general/chessmaster like Weddle was... they brought in Thomas Davis to fill the initial hole and Tranquill is going to be able to take over that spot from him.  Tranquil was the best coverage LB in this draft class not named Devin.

I can see him backing up all three positions, and take over for Perryman as the Mike actually. Davis was brought in to play Will (which is what White and Brown played last season). I also love his detailed recovery system after the injuries he sustained. If he gets seriously injured again, it'll be dumb luck or genetics.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

I watched the Michigan, Pitt and Vanderbilt  games.  I'll be honest there just wasn't much there that impressed me.  I thought he did well when he attacked the LOS, shooting gaps into the backfield, he does take good angles, in general did well in coverage against guys coming out of the backfield. I thought he struggled to get off blocks, I didn't feel like he read plays real well and it seemed like he was around the action a lot but not necessarily the guy who made the play, I didn't think he played nearly as fast as he tested either.  Really reminded me of a slightly poorer version of James Laurinaitus.  

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

I can see him backing up all three positions, and take over for Perryman as the Mike actually. Davis was brought in to play Will (which is what White and Brown played last season). I also love his detailed recovery system after the injuries he sustained. If he gets seriously injured again, it'll be dumb luck or genetics.

It'll be interesting to see how things slot out.  I won't be surprised if they actually let Perryman, Jatavis, and Davis (obviously) walk after their contracts are up and move into a LB trio of White, Tranquill, and Egbule (realistically one of them is likely replaced in the long run by a "too good to pass on" player drafted in a higher round, but that's the nature of the beast).  Egbule is capable of playing SAM, LEO, and honestly has the agility and size to potentially be groomed as a MIKE - Kyle Crabbs comped him to Tyus Bowser, I think I see some Will Witherspoon in him to be honest.

The other thing that got pointed out is with the versatility of the safeties that the Chargers have now, when they do go to the 3 safety package, (and guys like White and Phillips give you this option) in addition to obviously James and Adderly, they can literally set things up to where it's disguised which safety is taking the deep drop, which one is manning the box, and which one is taking a slot receiver in coverage.  That kind of stuff will mess with opposing QB's because it takes away an adjustment they're able to make; if they can't recognize it, they can't adjust for it.

Save for with respect to the DL, the Chargers really have a setup now (and depth to support it) where teams aren't going to be able to look at the guys who are on the field and be confident what their assignment is likely to be pre-snap, even when substitutes are on to give the starters a breather.  Also, having the NASCAR package upgraded to now feature what will likely be Bosa, Ingram, Tillery, and Nwosu all lined up side-by-side should be nice.  But the biggest gain is that you're no longer going to have guys like Emanuel and Dzubnar tasked with assignments that they just don't have the physical makeup to handle - whereas you have guys with the athleticism to manage those assignments now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The LBC said:

It'll be interesting to see how things slot out.  I won't be surprised if they actually let Perryman, Jatavis, and Davis (obviously) walk after their contracts are up and move into a LB trio of White, Tranquill, and Egbule (realistically one of them is likely replaced in the long run by a "too good to pass on" player drafted in a higher round, but that's the nature of the beast).  Egbule is capable of playing SAM, LEO, and honestly has the agility and size to potentially be groomed as a MIKE - Kyle Crabbs comped him to Tyus Bowser, I think I see some Will Witherspoon in him to be honest.

The other thing that got pointed out is with the versatility of the safeties that the Chargers have now, when they do go to the 3 safety package, (and guys like White and Phillips give you this option) in addition to obviously James and Adderly, they can literally set things up to where it's disguised which safety is taking the deep drop, which one is manning the box, and which one is taking a slot receiver in coverage.  That kind of stuff will mess with opposing QB's because it takes away an adjustment they're able to make; if they can't recognize it, they can't adjust for it.

Save for with respect to the DL, the Chargers really have a setup now (and depth to support it) where teams aren't going to be able to look at the guys who are on the field and be confident what their assignment is likely to be pre-snap, even when substitutes are on to give the starters a breather.  Also, having the NASCAR package upgraded to now feature what will likely be Bosa, Ingram, Tillery, and Nwosu all lined up side-by-side should be nice.  But the biggest gain is that you're no longer going to have guys like Emanuel and Dzubnar tasked with assignments that they just don't have the physical makeup to handle - whereas you have guys with the athleticism to manage those assignments now.

Tranquill makes a lot of sense with the way we want to run our defense. This defense has always resembled a Quinn 43U rather than what we've seen in the past with Bradley. Quinn has always been a guy that prioritized longer, explosive/fast, smart/instinctive and aggressive MLB's who are more straight forward athletes than change of direction guys.  Tranquill follows the mold of Deion Jones/Telvin Smith that Richard Smith/Gus liked in that role in the past. He's not really fully ready right now, and you can see that he doesn't always trust what he sees and doesn't shoot gaps like he has the opportunities to, which I think is something that TD and the coaching staff will force him into. 

I don't think LEO will ever be a position they spend a high pick on unless they're basically a pass rusher who can play a little bit of LB without being totally exposed (like Nwosu), since it's a position that is on the field roughly 20% of snaps.  I think Egbule is a great fit there. He's aggressive, powerful and has a LOT of straight line explosiveness, and you see his ability to close.   I think he'll be a guy that's good enough to hold down the position as a platoon with Nwosu for a long time. The guy I think I saw that I like the comparison to for Egbule is Devon Kennard, who is just an average, versatile starting LB for the Giants.

It's very clear that they want a 1 gapping, aggressive front 7, especially with our DB group now.  I'm still super salty about Saunders being snagged before us, but the more I hear about Pipkins the more hope I have for him.  He actually reminds me a lot of what Notebloom was last year, who Kromer (Meyer's long time mentor) "overdrafted" in the 3rd round last year, after he was pegged as a 5th+ round pick.  Going to need some developing but can be a good player. But I just think Saunders is such a perfect fit for what we are aiming to do with our DL and he was my guy all year long. Probably not going to get over that one unless he flops completely....

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The LBC said:

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Phillips after this season since he's only here for one year.