Into the Offseason - 2019

Leoric

2 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

But that's awful hard to do as a late round quarterback.  I mean, you have to play so well that another team is willing to cut their back-up (who knows their playbook and system) or go with 3 QBs on the roster, to make room for you.  Most teams I would venture to say, have an adequate backup that they're comfortable with, that unless Stick looks like the 2nd coming, theyre not gonna poach him

I remember Scott Tolzien getting poached by Harbaugh back in 2011, and he was an UDFA.

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

I remember Scott Tolzien getting poached by Harbaugh back in 2011, and he was an UDFA.

Yeah I was just thinking the other day about how many championships we missed out on because Scott Tolzien got away back in 2011.  I mean look, CAN it happen, sure and Tolzien had a heck of a pre season that year.  We also had the option to keep him  but we had Rivers and Volek and didn't want to burn a roster spot on a 3rd QB.  This pre season could see a lot of a series or two by Rivers, a few series by Taylor, a few with Cardale and some mop up duty by Stick against a bunch of future plumbers.  I guess if he shows enough in that time to get poached, then God bless him or we can carry him on our roster probably at the expense of a WR like Scott, Davis or Cantrell

Yeah, I've never understood the hate for carrying 3 QB's.  Regardless of what you do, you have 7 inactive players. What exactly does it make a difference if he's a WR/CB/S or if he's a QB (and actually there's a spot for emergency QB so it's potentially even more beneficial). Unless you're doing something EXTREMELY wrong with injuries and have more than 7 people injured, it shouldn't change anything about your active roster. Especially if we feel he's a guy we can develop into something that will actually contribute to this team down the road, you take the shot on the QB.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Yeah I was just thinking the other day about how many championships we missed out on because Scott Tolzien got away back in 2011.  I mean look, CAN it happen, sure and Tolzien had a heck of a pre season that year.  We also had the option to keep him  but we had Rivers and Volek and didn't want to burn a roster spot on a 3rd QB.  This pre season could see a lot of a series or two by Rivers, a few series by Taylor, a few with Cardale and some mop up duty by Stick against a bunch of future plumbers.  I guess if he shows enough in that time to get poached, then God bless him or we can carry him on our roster probably at the expense of a WR like Scott, Davis or Cantrell

I think you're confusing who does mop up duty. Cardale is the one on the outs. Stick, on the other hand, is the one who the coaching staff and FO knew that they wanted to draft two weeks before the draft.

• 1 month later...

Great article by Nick Hardwick, filling in for Peter King. I recommend reading the entire thing especially about his struggles with brain health.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/10/fmia-guest-nick-hardwick-post-nfl-brain-health/

This has been anything but a typical NFL offseason for me. If you follow me on either Instagram or Twitter, you know I recently undertook an intensive, six-week brain treatment protocol at the Brain Treatment Center where I live in San Diego. It's an affiliate of the USC Center for Neurorestoration, a progressive brain health clinic focusing on the intersection of physics and neuroscience.

I was turned on to the treatment from a great friend of mine, Pat Dossett, who spent a decade as a U.S. Navy SEAL. Upon his departure from the SEALs, he earned his MBA at the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania, followed by several years working at Google. Pat is one of those people that when he offers advice, you take it, without thinking twice.

While he was by all accounts succeeding in his post-military transition, he still didn't feel like he was quite operating at nearly as high a cognitive level as he could be. From my perspective, it felt very familiar in my post-football life.

1. I think I'm not as good today as I will be tomorrow. That's a philosophy that came to me after Philip Rivers and I flubbed a snap on Halloween in Kansas City on Monday Night Football in 2010 that ended up costing us the game. We both struggled to comprehend what happened and to piece it all together in the aftermath. Yet we had to face our teammates and own up to being the goats (not the G.O.A.T.), and get ready to play again in the following weeks.

2. I think people need to meet Philip Rivers. While I'm fairly sure the negative perceptions about Phil and his strong personality have lessened over the years, it bears saying here: If you ever met Rivers, you'd immediately fall in love with him as a human. One word describes him perfectly: pure. He's pure of thought, pure of action, and pure in his passion. Go back through his 15-year NFL tenure and I can guarantee you will not find a single teammate who has spoken poorly of him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So is King going to be the starting CB opposite Heyward?  Have Phillips play that nickle LB role I assume and what Derwin James and Adderley will be the starting safeties?

If Adderley catches on quickly the kid has tons of upside and great ball skills.  Can play deep safety while James is more in the box, could be one hell of a safety tandem that is for sure, big time upside and potential.  

Adderly will get worked in gradually, I'd assume.  To my knowledge he's been running with the 2's in camp so far.  I'd still expect Gus to deploy a lot of 3-safety looks... and at this point it's safer to assume that Perryman is going to get injured again at some point than not.  But King's effectiveness has largely come off his ability to freelance from the slot, knowing that he has protection over the top if he makes a read on the QB and goes for the turnover.  Trevor Williams should still be penciled in pretty darkly to start opposite Heyward.