Into the Offseason - 2019

Leoric

2 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I guess I'll trust the coaching staff on this one.  They've spent 4 years with him, I'm guessing if they felt he was worth the money, they would have matched or bettered the Cardinals offer.  I know they don't play the same position, and I figured Philon would be in the rotation with Jones.  My point was more, the guys that play Mebane's position usually don't get paid much (run stuffer in a passing league blah blah blah).  So I thought we would have re-signed Philon and signed a run stuffer on the cheap

Never know, they could draft a tweener like Jones. Someone who can play both DT and NT in the 4-3.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Never know, they could draft a tweener like Jones. Someone who can play both DT and NT in the 4-3.

This tended to be more the interior combo that I recall Bradley running with in both Seattle (when one of them actually was Mebane - which I have to think is part of the reason he was such a priority to retain) and Jacksonville.  In Seattle he had the Mebane/Clinton McDonald/Alan Branch trio; in Jacksonville it was Roy Miller/SenDerrick Marks and then throughout the years one of Ziggy Hood, Jared Odrick, and Malik Jackson.  Jones fits that McDonald (DT/sub-package-DE) mold.  Philon didn't fit either.  Honestly, the team may wait to see how the draft falls to them.  It's possible, if he passes inspection, they look to someone like Dexter Lawrence to play the Branch role as a rookie and shift into the Mebane role in the future.  If someone of better value like a Wilkins falls, they could opt to look for the Mebane replacement either later in this draft (someone like, say, Greg Gaines) or in 2020.

On 3/21/2019 at 11:53 PM, The LBC said:

This tended to be more the interior combo that I recall Bradley running with in both Seattle (when one of them actually was Mebane - which I have to think is part of the reason he was such a priority to retain) and Jacksonville.  In Seattle he had the Mebane/Clinton McDonald/Alan Branch trio; in Jacksonville it was Roy Miller/SenDerrick Marks and then throughout the years one of Ziggy Hood, Jared Odrick, and Malik Jackson.  Jones fits that McDonald (DT/sub-package-DE) mold.  Philon didn't fit either.  Honestly, the team may wait to see how the draft falls to them.  It's possible, if he passes inspection, they look to someone like Dexter Lawrence to play the Branch role as a rookie and shift into the Mebane role in the future.  If someone of better value like a Wilkins falls, they could opt to look for the Mebane replacement either later in this draft (someone like, say, Greg Gaines) or in 2020.

I think Tillery makes more and more sense here.  He's not perfect character wise (missing the bowl game for unknown reasons), but makes a lot of sense as Gus has loved those length and strength guys at DT, especially manning that hybrid 3T/sub DE spot (you mentioned Odrick, Jackson, McDonald role).  Jones fits more of the hybrid 1T, 2T/3T role.  Dexter Lawrence would be interesting in that jumbo 3T role if that's what we want to do, as he has a little bit of that Ngata, Red Bryant, Branch type of game to him, where he's a big guy who's long and way more athletic than he should be, but the problem is that this is the old Gus Bradley scheme that doesn't have that 1 gapping look, since he ran a pure 2 gapping scheme which had those guys at the 5T position (really 4T), and that's not a position in this defense because of Bosa.  So it's kind of new territory for Bradley, but I'd base it more off of what Dan Quinn (and Richard Smith) has done in Atlanta and Seattle.  That position has been a mix of length and strength guys and block holders between McDaniel, Adhitya Rubin (who kind of interchanged with Mebane as you said), and then Hageman with a short stint of Dontari Poe (Babineaux was a carry over who was on his way/got pushed out with Hageman/Poe).  So I think that position tends to really lend itself to more explosive length and strength guys which is something we're seriously missing on our DL.

So it makes sense why we went so hard after Taven Bryan last year, and Tillery kind of follows the same mold this year.  Other guys that would be interesting are more developmental.  John Cominski, Rennell Wren, Armani Watts, and a few others (maybe Byron Coward fits into that mold too).  This scheme also lends itself to having a quicker, penetrating NT (Jarrett, Mebane and they just drafted Senat).  So it'll be interesting to see.  Jones is the rotational dirty work type guy right now, which is pretty similar to what Rubin brought to the table. So it wouldn't surprise me if they doubled up on DT, and brought in someone like Saunders early, and then one of those developmental length and strength guys like Watts (who I like based on limited tape) later to rotate with Jones at the 3T/2T spot.

Also something I noted when looking at snap counts for Philon was that there was a few games where McGill played a big role with 30% snap counts. I could see him being a guy that's absoultely in the rotation, and when I watched some of the Pittsburgh game again, he played a lot of 1T, so I think they're trying to find someone with some juice that can play that position (or thinking that McGill can).  That is where Saunders fits in really well (and would make sense with Mebane coming back for a year or two to tutor him).

• Like 2

Would Robert Nkemdiche be someone we would be interested in kicking the tires on?  He fits the above profile very well (compared to a Taven Bryan), he's in more or less a make or break year with Arizona, new staff there so no loyalty from the old coaching staff.  I know he's been injured a bit in Arizona and inconsistent, but he's still only 24 and shown some flashes.  Maybe if we got him into our locker room with our coaches vets, on a competitive team?  Just a thought

6 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Would Robert Nkemdiche be someone we would be interested in kicking the tires on?  He fits the above profile very well (compared to a Taven Bryan), he's in more or less a make or break year with Arizona, new staff there so no loyalty from the old coaching staff.  I know he's been injured a bit in Arizona and inconsistent, but he's still only 24 and shown some flashes.  Maybe if we got him into our locker room with our coaches vets, on a competitive team?  Just a thought

I think it's a hard balance to keep of making sure the locker room stays strong and taking a chance on a guy with questionable character.  One or two people can divide a locker room pretty easily.  I think at this point I'd rather sign Easley and see what he can do if he stays healthy.

Edited by Duffman57
  • Like 1

Also, Arizona's defensive staff (the position coaches at least) under Steve Wilks wasn't the issue - and Nkemdiche got two years before that under Bettcher/Buckner before Wilks even came to town and still did nada.  Guy's a bust at this point and honestly, he needs that harsh reality of hitting the market and not having anyone offer him anything more than cheap 1-year prove-it deals to humble himself up and  get his attitude right.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I'm also very unimpressed with this QB class, I hope we don't invest an early pick on one of these guys.  Next years class is MUCH better and Jacoby Brissettt will be a FA who I would take over any of the developmental guys this year.  

They aren't drafting a QB early. The Tyrod signing pretty much put an end to that. 

Giants Daily
& #8207;@NYGDaily

Colin Cowherd reports that the Giants have indeed offered their 2nd round pick for Josh Rosen; the Cardinals are looking for a first round pick. (@TheHerd)

"There are 3 teams that I have heard and I know are very interested in Josh Rosen: New England, the New York Giants, and the LA Chargers. One of those have already offered a 2nd-round pick.. Arizona is waiting for a 1st — I don't think they'll get it." — @joelklatt

This is in the NFL Draft forum on this site.  Also, being reported by Bleacher Report

Apparently came from Joel Klatt? No idea who that is or what his connections are. And this time of year, if we inquired, they could say we’re heavily interested.  Probably nothing, this guy said the Giants offered their 2nd, the 37 overall pick. Which means, if true, we’d have to give our first to better that offer or offer additional/future picks.  I can’t see that happening 

Edited by BoltsFan937

46 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Apparently came from Joel Klatt? No idea who that is or what his connections are. And this time of year, if we inquired, they could say we’re heavily interested.  Probably nothing, this guy said the Giants offered their 2nd, the 37 overall pick. Which means, if true, we’d have to give our first to better that offer or offer additional/future picks.  I can’t see that happening 

I'll put it this way.  The only way I see them doing that is if Rivers either refused to sign an extension or they've out and out decided to move on from Rivers (which I can't imagine and flatly doesn't make sense).  The whole allure of a QB on a rookie contract is the cap flexibility it gives you.  If Rivers re-ups for another year or two, you're getting 1-2 years out of Rosen plus the 5th-year-option (which would still be based on the 10th pick overall if I'm not mistaken), and possibly may not even be able to see him in the offense outside of the preseason until he's playing on that 5th-year option... after that he's commanding a Top 10 positional contract if he's proven to be remotely a start-able asset.

Trading a 1st round pick this year for a QB basically sends the message to Rivers, "We don't care so much about trying to actually get you a Super Bowl ring (even though you got us to the Divisional Round last year."

I can’t see us offering up even a second for Rosen, unless Rivers has outright told the Chargers he will be retiring following this season to focus on coaching girls basketball, his family and of course cranking out some more kids. It just wouldn’t make sense. Now if Rivers is on his way out like I’m afraid of then a 2020 first would be ok or a 2019 2nd if your convinced Rosen is a NFL QB. To be fair there were concerns about his commitment coming out of college and a one year and a team is willing to cut ties with you doesn’t bode well. Rethinking it from that angle I’m not giving up more then a 2020 3rd for him. Going from Rivers leading a locker room, you know the guy I scream at during preseason for tackling linebackers on a pick to someone you question their motivation for playing the game sounds absurd and a recipe for failure. Rosen gives us zero this season and is extremely questionable whether he would be an upgrade over Tyrod Taylor next season. 

I’d rather go to QB purgatory then bet on Josh Rosen with 2019 capital and Rivers still playing. 

• Like 2