Into the Offseason - 2019

Leoric

Off subject a little, but would we have any interest in trading for Darron Lee?  After White and Bush, this LB class is fairly weak.  I was thinking our 2nd (and maybe a later 5-7 round pick) for Lee and the Jets 3rd (the one they got from New Orleans).  That would give us Lee, our first and two thirds.  

On 4/13/2019 at 2:04 PM, Xenos said:

Brandon Williams does not make sense to me. Are you talking about the run blocking or pass protection? Because Brandon isn't much of a pass rusher.

He's not a good pass rusher, but he is a really powerful dude who gets off the ball quick that gave Feeney some trouble.  Not necessarily in pass blocking I guess, the pass pro issues in that game came more from the right side and all the stunts and blitzes that they threw at them.  Feeney's pass blocking issues came very specifically from length and strength guys like the others I mentioned. 

23 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Off subject a little, but would we have any interest in trading for Darron Lee?  After White and Bush, this LB class is fairly weak.  I was thinking our 2nd (and maybe a later 5-7 round pick) for Lee and the Jets 3rd (the one they got from New Orleans).  That would give us Lee, our first and two thirds.  

Why do we need to address LB more?  We have our solution for the next year or two before we have to address it.  We're set at WLB with Davis, White and Brown.  MLB could use a project/future starter. I think we can survive moving Davis to MLB and White at WLB if perryman goes down, but another MLB would be beneficial, but if you think we're going to invest a higher draft pick on a LB anyway I can't disagree more.  No thanks to Lee.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

Why do we need to address LB more?  We have our solution for the next year or two before we have to address it.  We're set at WLB with Davis, White and Brown.  MLB could use a project/future starter. I think we can survive moving Davis to MLB and White at WLB if perryman goes down, but another MLB would be beneficial, but if you think we're going to invest a higher draft pick on a LB anyway I can't disagree more.  No thanks to Lee.

Just a thought, Lee's 24 years old and on a rookie contract and I believe better than anyone we could draft in the 2nd-3rd round area.  Perryman is injury prone and Davis is, what 36-37?  Brown hasn't impressed much or enough to call his job cemented.  All these dudes have injury history.  Depth at that position is never a bad thing.  I'm not saying give em a first, I'm talking about moving back a little and throwing in a 5th or so.  That's fairly cheap (if the Jets would even go for it)

12 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Just a thought, Lee's 24 years old and on a rookie contract and I believe better than anyone we could draft in the 2nd-3rd round area.  Perryman is injury prone and Davis is, what 36-37?  Brown hasn't impressed much or enough to call his job cemented.  All these dudes have injury history.  Depth at that position is never a bad thing.  I'm not saying give em a first, I'm talking about moving back a little and throwing in a 5th or so.  That's fairly cheap (if the Jets would even go for it)

Lee is 24 years old, going into the last year of his rookie deal and has never played a 16 game season in the NFL, and plays a position where he'd be the backup, or potentially 3rd string guy if we even decided he fit the scheme.  That's my issue.  He provides depth value this year and no value moving forward unless we're willing to pay him almost 10m next year. I'd rather take a shot at a developmental/STer ILB project that'll back up Perryman and potentially take over for him in a few years (Pratt comes to mind in the 3rd, and there's a few other names to consider).

• Like 1

Hey everyone, i just completed a 7 round GM Mock Draft as the Chargers GM. Here's how it played out: 

Round 1 – 28th overall - Dalton Risner OT Kansas State
Round 2 – 60th overall - Anthony Nelson DE Iowa
Round 3 – 91st overall - Daniel Jones QB Duke
Round 4 – 130th overall - Emeke Egbule LB Houston
Round 5 – 166th overall - Keelan Doss WR UC Davis
Round 6 – 200th overall - Cortez Broughton DT Cincinnati
Round 7 – 242nd overall - Donald Parham TE Stetson

I figured the #1 need is that tackle spot. Both right and left seem like they could use an upgrade, and Risner fell to 28th so I had to jump on the chance. After that the draft fell against my strategy with the better DT's going before my 2nd pick. I was able to add Anthony Nelson who doesnt seem like a big need but he's versatile from 3-5-9 technique, and incredibly skilled. Lots of talk of Jones going top 20 so i pulled trig on him after sliding to the 3rd. After that I just picked up more depth guys that I felt could compete in a position that the Chargers look a little week. I really like Cortez Broughton btw one of my sleepers, the dude is just good. Anyways hopefully your team does better on the 25th than I did on this, but overall I think if you address the tackle spot everything else is just extra. 

4 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Hey everyone, i just completed a 7 round GM Mock Draft as the Chargers GM. Here's how it played out: 

Round 1 – 28th overall - Dalton Risner OT Kansas State
Round 2 – 60th overall - Anthony Nelson DE Iowa
Round 3 – 91st overall - Daniel Jones QB Duke
Round 4 – 130th overall - Emeke Egbule LB Houston
Round 5 – 166th overall - Keelan Doss WR UC Davis
Round 6 – 200th overall - Cortez Broughton DT Cincinnati
Round 7 – 242nd overall - Donald Parham TE Stetson

I figured the #1 need is that tackle spot. Both right and left seem like they could use an upgrade, and Risner fell to 28th so I had to jump on the chance. After that the draft fell against my strategy with the better DT's going before my 2nd pick. I was able to add Anthony Nelson who doesnt seem like a big need but he's versatile from 3-5-9 technique, and incredibly skilled. Lots of talk of Jones going top 20 so i pulled trig on him after sliding to the 3rd. After that I just picked up more depth guys that I felt could compete in a position that the Chargers look a little week. I really like Cortez Broughton btw one of my sleepers, the dude is just good. Anyways hopefully your team does better on the 25th than I did on this, but overall I think if you address the tackle spot everything else is just extra. 

Would obviously have to see the board for accurate input, but it doesn't look bad.  Really like what you did on day three, I like Doss and Broughton both.  Day one or two, would have liked to come away with a DB either CB or S

On 4/12/2019 at 1:51 AM, BoltsFan937 said:

Its really difficult to try and pinpoint us this year, you could make a strong case for OL, DL and S/CB in my opinion.  I would throw LB in there but I don't think the value is there this year at that spot.  You could probably even make a case for WR or TE if the value was right.  I think its gonna be a safety and specifically Adderley/CGJ in that order.  I just feel like with these 3 receiver sets, and nickel being the new base D, you need 5 DBs and possibly three safeties on the field.  Keep in mind we have Antonio Brown and Tyreek Hill in our division, we can't have too many cover guys.  I like those two guys specifically because I think they're versatile in that they can play the single high role, but also won't get embarrassed if they have to cover a guy one-on-one either.  I know CGJ has done it and I feel like Adderley is more than capable as well.  With where we're drafting, I don't think either guy makes it to our 2nd round pick so we'd have to pull the trigger in the 1st or (and this would be nice)  slide back into the 30's.  Lawrence/Tillery/Wilkins any of those guys for the DL, Ford or McGary for the OL (probably my least favorite option), or Adderley/CGJ for the secondary.  Any of those guys could help our team, and we're also in a good position to slide up or down if we choose. 

I think whether they go DT - and I really hope Telesco has learned some small amount of flexibility after last year (expanding on the Taven Bryan bit I heard last year, effectively the target for the team was Tremaine Edmunds until the Bills jumped in front of them, then - had Derwin not been there - they would have been prepared to take Bryan because he was the next guy up on their board).  I feel pretty confident in saying TT wouldn't touch Simmons with a 10-foot pole and, given the specific type of character concerns with Tillery, I'm really starting to believe that TT's going to have written him off too.  Christian Wilkins has Tom Telesco's dream DT written all over him (he satisfies athletic and production qualities while ticking EVERY positive character box that Telesco has shown to have), but unless teams surprise me with their valuations (they have in the past), I just don't see Wilkins falling to #28.

Honestly, I feel more and more like this is going to end up being a pick like Liuget (which I realize TT didn't make) or Fluker where the prospects TT was counting on falling to him don't fall, but he painted himself into a corner, and rather than compromise on the character end, he'll stick with his own board and take someone at the position he's intended to fill that most draftnik's and talking heads most have a Day 2-ish grade on.  Then you just have to hope that the scouts and coaches know what they believe they're seeing.  Basically, it's a Steelers taking the other Edmunds last year type scenario.

At 28 its just total guesswork right now trying to figure out who will be available.  It would definitely be to our advantage to have a run on QB's and I'm talking Jones and Lock, going top 20.  A run on  WR's, CB's and having Hock, Fant and Jacobs all go ahead of us would help.  And if we're looking for DL help specifically, then the OT's plus Risner, Mcgary and Lindstrom as well as Bradbury going ahead of us, might push a DT into our lap.  But Wilkins is a long shot imo

18 hours ago, The LBC said:

I think whether they go DT - and I really hope Telesco has learned some small amount of flexibility after last year (expanding on the Taven Bryan bit I heard last year, effectively the target for the team was Tremaine Edmunds until the Bills jumped in front of them, then - had Derwin not been there - they would have been prepared to take Bryan because he was the next guy up on their board).  I feel pretty confident in saying TT wouldn't touch Simmons with a 10-foot pole and, given the specific type of character concerns with Tillery, I'm really starting to believe that TT's going to have written him off too.  Christian Wilkins has Tom Telesco's dream DT written all over him (he satisfies athletic and production qualities while ticking EVERY positive character box that Telesco has shown to have), but unless teams surprise me with their valuations (they have in the past), I just don't see Wilkins falling to #28.

Honestly, I feel more and more like this is going to end up being a pick like Liuget (which I realize TT didn't make) or Fluker where the prospects TT was counting on falling to him don't fall, but he painted himself into a corner, and rather than compromise on the character end, he'll stick with his own board and take someone at the position he's intended to fill that most draftnik's and talking heads most have a Day 2-ish grade on.  Then you just have to hope that the scouts and coaches know what they believe they're seeing.  Basically, it's a Steelers taking the other Edmunds last year type scenario.

The more I think about it the more I think that NFL teams aren't goiing to be as in love with WIlkins as most people are.  This may partially be because I'm not that high on him but, he really isn't a standout player to me other than the accumulation of stats (on a DL that has 3 1st round caliber players).  The NFL likes flashy traits when they're looking at 1st rounders and that's not at all what I see in Wilkins. He's not athletic or agile enough to be a pure gap disruptor in the NFL, he's got kind of a weird body type for that anyway. he falls under the "more slippery than explosive" types of penetrators, which doesn't always work real well at the NFL level.  When he plays better comp he's been pretty average. I really don't want him that bad if he is there, but I think you're right that he's the very classic TT pick.  He's a hugely high character but something I've noticed is that his game comes on and off.  There doens't seem to be much going on if he doesn't win at the snap and he's swallowed up by college linemen with his length, so NFL linemen will eat him alive in that regard.

But I think you're right in some regard of if he's not there then where do we go.  Tillery screams Michael Bennett more than someone who's actually going to be a character nuisance with suspensions and all that. He didn't get along with the staff very well, but we'll see if that's a guy they'd be willing to gamble on.  They'll definitely do their homework on him. Beyond that it's basically Lawrence or nothing in the 1st at DT.  I don't see them going for Lawrence but that's just me (100% seems like they want a playmaker type of DT).  Could see them go for Saunders later. 

Edited by Duffman57
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

But I think you're right in some regard of if he's not there then where do we go.  Tillery screams Michael Bennett more than someone who's actually going to be a character nuisance with suspensions and all that. He didn't get along with the staff very well, but we'll see if that's a guy they'd be willing to gamble on.  They'll definitely do their homework on him. Beyond that it's basically Lawrence or nothing in the 1st at DT.  I don't see them going for Lawrence but that's just me (100% seems like they want a playmaker type of DT).  Could see them go for Saunders later. 

I just feel like the kicking out at opposing players thing as well as the putting his own coaching staff on blast thing are the type of character issues that Telesco and the organization aren't willing to forgive (or at least are going to cause them to mark him down significantly).  DUI's, minor legal run-in's early in their collegiate career where there's a demonstrated history of getting back on the straight and narrow, they seem willing to swallow that.  Simmons, like I said, I can pretty much guarantee he's off their board.

I can't see them taking Lawrence either.  Maybe if he were to fall to the 3rd, but he's not going to fall to the 3rd.  I think guys like Armon Watts, Renell Wren, and DreMont Jones - in addition to Saunders (possibly Trysten Hill too), are in play on Day 2 if they don't take a DT in the 1st.  And guys like Cortez Broughton, Keke Kingsley, and Gerald Willis (I know some folks are high on him, but I feel like the clear fact that he's got those pad-level issues he has to improve or he's going to get handled in the NFL, is going to drop him down) on Day 3.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

Well this is not what I expected to happen. But I'm actually okay with this. Receiver is probably down on the list of draft needs (if it wasn't already) especially with Dylan Cantrell having a season.

So if I'm reading this right, we can cut him prior to next season without a cap hit?  Did all this do is guarantee his money for '19?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

So if I'm reading this right, we can cut him prior to next season without a cap hit?  Did all this do is guarantee his money for '19?

I think we essentially spread the cap hit with this "extension". So yes he gets more guaranteed, but it's spread over 2 years instead of 1, allowing us to have more cap room this year.

• Like 1