Fureys49ers Offseason Pre - Everything

Fureys49ers

Something like this would make me greatly excited for next year and I believe is achievable for us. 

Re-sign : 

- Raheem Mostert, RB; Showed this year he was capable of stepping in and producing. While I don't think he'll see much playing time next year if McKinnon and Breida stay healthy he offers value on ST in the return game as well as in coverage.

- Mike Person, OG; Maybe our best IOL this year which isn't saying a whole lot but his play warrants him being brought back and starting or at least being given the chance to prove he should still hold a starting position. 

- Julian Taylor, DT; Flashed a little when given playing time this year and is fairly quick and athletic for a guy of his size. Would provide some depth behind Buckner and Armstead and maybe replace AA after this upcoming year.

- Pita Taumoepenu, SAM; I don't think hes actually played much since we drafted him but he has some familiarity with the scheme by now, has athletic ability and really just provides depth and ST availability for us with since he would not start and our SAM backer not seeing the field much anyhow.

- Elijah Lee, MIKE/WILL; Filled in admirably for us with the departure of Foster and while I don't think he's anything special he's definitely not quite the liability Malcolm Smith is in every facet of the game. Young guy still who could be our 3rd LB and provide depth to Warner and whoever is lining up next to him.

FA :

(I tried to remain somewhat realistic with our signings as much as I would like to throw more big names in here and some plausible/possible trades I just tried to add guys who I could actually see leaving their current situations and seeing our team as an actual destination.)

- Tyrell Williams, WR; A height, weight, speed guy who's performed very well for the Chargers when called upon. Never really given the opportunity to be a full time starter however and will probably be looking for an opportunity to do that as well as make sign as nice contract. Niners can offer both along with Shanny as a play caller and Jimmy G as his QB. Still young and two years removed from a 1000 yard season at the very least he offers quality depth and a taller target for Jimmy who can stretch the field.

- Mike Glowinski, OG; Has played very well since joining the Colts last year and I believe he's been their 3rd OG, or swing OG if you will since joining that squad. Still young and growing as an OG, was a OT in college, from what I have read he shows the feet and athleticism desirable for an OL in our system as well as the chops to hold up in both the run game and pass pro. Still in his mid 20's if he continues to grow and improve at OG we could have one OG spot locked down long term, if not we finally have some depth at the position that belongs on an NFL roster. 

- Danny Shelton, NT; I'm aware that this may not be the biggest need but hear me out, Earl Mitchell is hot trash. I'd leave it at that and I'm sure most of you would be like, "you know he's got a point..." but beyond that we are in a division with Todd Gurley, David Johnson and Chris Carson/Rashad Penny/Mike Davis. Stopping the run is imperative for us to win this division. Shelton is a huge body with decent athleticism to help clog running lanes in the middle of the field and keep our LBs clean of OL and able to make plays. I highly doubt NE resigns him and we can offer a little more money, nothing too much as he'll only be on the field for 1st and 2nd down, but could be one of those under the radar additions that helps us out in the long run. I like DJ Jones just as much as the next guy but it's concerning when he can't beat out Mitchell and up to this point in his career is still a question mark in terms of what do we have in him for me at least.

- CJ Mosley, MIKE; Now we get to the good part. Sure, Mosley is a little overrated and struggles in coverage a little. Sure it'll cost a pretty penny to bring him here. But what we will provide as far as leadership and direction for our defense along with his play which is still in the top half of LBs in the NFL will be extremely noticeable. I'm of the belief that Warner would be better suited at WILL where his athleticism and speed could allow him to chase down ball carriers and scrape over the top to make plays. While he's doing that Mosley takes over play calling allowing Warner to do less thinking and just worry about flying around the field getting to the ball and shooting gaps and stopping RBs at the LOS like he's done his whole career. The Ravens have some up and comers at ILB who arguably played just as well as Mosley this year so I can see them saving some coin and locking up those guys over Mosley. We'll gladly take him and let him lead our defense and mentor Warner for the foreseeable future.

- Shaquil Barrett, LEO/SAM; Has never started except for spot games since being drafted by Denver but any and every time he gets his chance this man is making plays for them. Very good at getting after the QB he holds up equally as well against the run showing great strength at the POA and the IQ to set himself up nicely to make a play. I believe he'll not only be looking for an opportunity to show what he can do as a full time starter but also be looking for a bit of a pay day being his second NFL contract. We can offer him both and with him still being a young guy with not only NFL experience but playoff and SB experience we will gladly bring this man on and allow him to shine like he is deserving of. HIs skills as a 3-4 OLB for the Broncos lend themselves very nicely to a LEO and SAM in some situations with our defense with the addition  of our 1st round draftee could offer some nice versatility for our DC and defense as whole in hopefully becoming a little more complex.

- Adrian Amos, S; I know, I spelt Earl Thomas wrong. But with Kris Richard likely being passed over as HC in Miami and staying in Dallas I think our already slim chance of landing ET has gotten slimmer. Dallas has always shown the ability to rework contracts to create cap room and to land the best FS in the game and bring him back "home" so to speak, I can't see how they don't, even with how their defense performed this year. On to Amos, who I have been talking about to anyone who will listen. He had his struggles early in his career and I think that makes him an even more attractive target for the niners specifically. He can help grow and mentor guys like Harris, Colbert and Tartt who have all shown flashes but consistently struggled as well. While there's that aspect of this signing there's also his play on the field which has been nothing short of impressive for the better part of the last two years. He's a do it all type capable of manning the deep center, lining up in man, coming up to stop the run, lay the wood on a crosser and cause TO's and make big plays. Still young and likely looking for a big pay day I say we give it too him and let one of our three younger guys rise to the challenge this signing, and later an added draftee, will bring them. Competition will show us who's deserving of a jersey headed into next year.

Draft : 

1st) Josh Allen, SAM/LEO; Absolutely love this kids potential for us at both SAM and LEO and how his game has continued to grow every year since stepping foot onto UK's campus. Has it all, size, length, strength, quickness, IQ, motor and leadership and with his versatility to play both positions could help make our defense a little more complex for the opposing QBs, I'm looking at you Saleh. Sure Bosa would be great if he fell to 1.2 but if not, you won't find me disappointed at all. I believe he can have a Khalil Mack type of affect on our defense and could be a building block for the future. For those who think he can't become a great pass rusher this man dropped into coverage WAY too often at Kentucky and still had 17 sacks on the season for the best pass rush rate in the country last year. Why would they drop him into coverage you ask? Cause the man is capable of running stride for stride with TEs and picking up RBs out of the backfield as well. HIs game and pass rush skills are still improving, in my eyes the sky is the limit. Allen and Barrett both having the ability to play SAM and LEO could lead to a whole lot of confusion for the opposing offense of who's coming from where and who's doing what.

2nd) Nasir Adderley, FS; Sure, his tape is against lesser talent but my lord is this man all over the field. His tape actually has me feel like I'm watching Earl Thomas highlights. He's all over the place making plays on the ball, coming up and delivering a big hit, tipping passes while being in great position and he's even a little smaller than you would prefer just like ET. There's no doubt in my mind that with his football IQ, instincts and range that he couldn't play CF for us in the deep middle 1/3 of our defense which has been a black hole for our scheme since our switch to the 4-3 under. Colbert showed us a little hope his rookie year but fell off a cliff last year and then was injured the rest of the year. I'm not leaving such an important position for our scheme up to chance and hope. Get this man in the 2nd, and he'll find a way to get onto the field.

3rd) Deebo Samuel, WR; Had is not been for some unfortunate injury luck or lack there of for Samuel I think we are talking about him being a possible 1st round pick this year or even last year as he may have declared early but here we are. That's how much I like this kid's game though. Solid size at somewhere around 6' plus and 200 plus lbs he's not the slight and slender WR we have in spades on our team already. But with that frame he has great speed and twitch to take any play to the house on offense or STs. Has reliable hands too and likes to use them more often than his body to secure catches and can run a full route tree with above average effectiveness. Like I stated earlier however though he has had injuries throughout his career and fair or not I think this will cause some hesitation in his evaluation and in this class of what I feel is a very underrated group of WRs where there may be no clear cut number 1 there's plenty of talent at the top which may allow some guys like Samuel to slip through the cracks to the 3rd round.

4th) Ryan Connelly, MIKE/WILL/SAM; There was a lot of focus on Edwards of Wisconsin at the LB spot coming into the year and I heard and read about the other LB Van Ginkel often enough as well but Connelly is the guy who really jumped out to me when watching Wisconsin games. At 6'3" 240 lbs he has great size for any LB spot our scheme has and plays like a man on fire who's a down hill LB often shooting through gaps attempting to meet ball carriers behind the LOS and pursuing plays all over the field. Is an effort player for sure but when I watch his film he has quickness and speed to shoot gaps and close on RBs and QBs a like. He does sometimes overrun plays and ball carriers but for the most part is a reliable tackler who's always around the ball. Will play mostly special teams but this is a guy I could see finding the field in relative quickness with what he brings to the table. The last two years he has posted 88 and 89 tackles, 11 and 10 TFLs, 3 sacks each year along with an INT and FF each year. Has experience lining up on the edge, as an off the ball LB, blitzing and dropping back into coverage and I feel he does them all well.

6th) Derrick Baity, CB; A tall, lengthy CB at 6'3" who's best trait his ability to play near the LOS in press. Faced great competition in the SEC lined up across some great prospects at WR and showed well for the most part. A slender build so he'll have to some weight but he showed time and time again he's not afraid of contact or charging down hill to meet a WR just the ball does for a big hit. Will need some technique work and refining for sure but has above average ball skills and would give us another CB who fits the "mold" our scheme calls for while we see what we hopefully truly have in Witherspoon and Moore next year. He is not lacking in confidence either which I think will bode well for him and hopefully endear him to Sherman who can take him under his wing along with the other CBs on our roster.

6th) Foster Moreau, TE; Maybe not a position of dire need being that we have Kittle but depth is surely lacking. I'd hate to go into next year with Celek as our insurance policy and while Moreau is definitely not the receiver Kittle is he is not unfamiliar with catching the football, I believe he was in fact the leading receiver for LSU two years ago. A big target for Jimmy G in the red zone as well but what he truly brings to the table and what he will be used for more often than not is run blocking. A sound run blocker at 6'6" 260 is basically an in shape OT out there and could be of great benefit on our favored stretch pitches and runs we like so much. Our running game, despite who was actually doing the running was a bright spot this past year, in order for our offense to continue to grow and to set up Jimmy G as best as possible that needs to continue and be a point of emphasis in my mind.

Coaching Changes:

- Jim Tomasula, DL coach; Bring this man back and let him do his thing for us. 

- Marquand Manuel, DB coach; I believe I read somewhere Manuel and Shanny were friends, if I'm wrong they've atleast worked together while in a very successful stint in Atlanta where the run a very similar defensive scheme as we do. Was the DB coach for the Falcons on their SB run and had that secondary running on all cylinders with all types of different players from 1st round picks to UDFAs.

Depth Chart:

QB - Garoppollo, Mullens

RB - McKinnon, Breida, Mostert

FB - Juszczyk

WR - Pettis, WIlliams, Goodwin, Samuel, James, Bourne

TE - Kittle, Moreau, Celek

OT - Staley, McGlinchey, Coleman

OG - Tomlinson, Person, Glowinski

C - Richburg, Magnusson

EDGE - Barrett, Allen, Marsh, Blair, Taumoepenu

IDL - Buckner, Armstead, Thomas, Taylor, Shelton, Jones

LB - Mosley, Warner, Connelly, Smith, Lee

CB - Sherman, Witherspoon, Moore, Baity, Reed, Williams

S - Amos, Adderley, Tartt, Colbert, Harris

K - Gould

P - Pinion

LS - Holba

15 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I could be pleased with this...the only thing I have reservations about is the Danny Shelton signing. I get the worry regarding the run, just not certain we need to go after him.

My thinking is make it a two year deal, or however long it needs to be but money wise have it be two years of impact on us and by then our roster should be filled out enough to address DT/NT in the draft. Until then, I want to make sure we can shut down the run and keep our LBs clean to make plays. I get the hesitation for it, but in my mind this isn’t a “if ain’t broke don’t fix it” type of thing. We allowed over 110 rushing yards per game for over 4 yards per carry. That number probably would have been much higher had there not been so many big plays allowed by the pass defense. But like I said, I do get the hesitation towards the signing, I’d just like to sure up one part of our defense for sure instead of trying to take all of its problems on at once, which is extremely hard to do if not impossible in one offseason (and even saying that I attempted to sure not only the run defense up but also the pass rush and S troubles). To me, Shelton and Mosley do that for our run defense.

FYI, we don't have to re-sign Taylor. I know that spotrac or overthecap lists him as a free agent, but he was a 7th round pick this year, which means he automatically has a 4 year contract. I don't know why they list him as a free agent. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

FYI, we don't have to re-sign Taylor. I know that spotrac or overthecap lists him as a free agent, but he was a 7th round pick this year, which means he automatically has a 4 year contract. I don't know why they list him as a free agent. 

Confused me as well as I remember him being drafted last year. Didn’t know if we cut him and resigned him or something. 

Just now, Fureys49ers said:

Confused me as well as I remember him being drafted last year. Didn’t know if we cut him and resigned him or something. 

So far as I know, he made the team out of camp. OTC does list him as being under contract through 2021. So I'm not sure what is going on there. 

Contract Notes

Jullian Taylor signed a four year contract with the San Francisco 49ers worth $2,558,044 on May 4, 2018. Taylor received a $98,044 signing bonus. Taylor was the 223rd pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Current Contract

Year Age Base Salary (Guaranteed) Bonuses Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
 Cut (pre-June 1) Cut (post-June 1) Trade (pre-June 1) Trade (post-June 1) Restructure Extension 
Prorated Roster Workout Other
2018 23 $480,000 $24,511 $0 $0 $0 $504,511 0.3%      
2019 24 $570,000 $24,511 $0 $0 $0 $594,511 0.3%  
$73,533
$520,978
2020 25 $660,000 $24,511 $0 $0 $0 $684,511 0.3%  
$49,022
$635,489
2021 26 $750,000 $24,511 $0 $0 $0 $774,511 --  
$24,511
$750,000

Robbie Gould is a free agent I believe, although I think everyone expects him back

Tyrell Williams is not a great fit for what kyle looks for in a WR. He typically likes guys who are better route runners. Tyrell Williams is a great deep threat because of his straight line speed and length, but I am unsure how well that meshes with Garoppolo. (this is why AB would be a slam dunk here, he fits the scheme to a T)

1 minute ago, N4L said:

Robbie Gould is a free agent I believe, although I think everyone expects him back

He is. I'll be curious if we just tag him. Gould still lives in Chicago (he was even at the Eagles / Bears game with his sons), and given the Parkey situation, the Bears may be really interested in his services, and given that he still lives there, he may be very much interested in returning, even if we offered more money. It may be worth it just to tag him and take away the possibility that he's going to sign elsewhere. 

Hard not to be a fan of a free agency period that makes us a lot better, but there are a couple things I don't see happening:

Adrian Amos is arguably a top 10 safety...not sure he's going to hit the market. 

Shelton is very meh. Don't think we need him. Not worth spending money there when Buck, Jones and presumably some other body can all play the 1 tech. Jones being the full-timer. 

Mosely would be great, have no issues with it but I worry about his price tag.

Shaq Barrett is a solid get, wouldn't complain about it, but I worry that he an Allen alone is not enough to fix our edge rush. Barrett seems more like a solid situational/depth piece rather than a guy we can throw out full time. I also think they prefer him to Ray so they might be letting go of Ray and keeping Barrett as the key backup. 

Tyrell would be ok, but I don't like going Deebo Samuel when we already have 3 guys who would play the same position. Furthermore, Samuel was not exactly lighting it up throughout the year. Really concerned he's not as good an athlete as people once thought, lastly, I don't see us dropping Taylor in favor of an unspectacular player in Williams. Personally, I see us addressing that "alpha" receiver in the draft. 

If we can't get ET and Bosa, Allen and Adderly would be amazing. So love your first two picks. Can't speak to anything past samuel though.

Good off-season, but I would still be really concerned about corner, safety and edge play. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

He is. I'll be curious if we just tag him. Gould still lives in Chicago (he was even at the Eagles / Bears game with his sons), and given the Parkey situation, the Bears may be really interested in his services, and given that he still lives there, he may be very much interested in returning, even if we offered more money. It may be worth it just to tag him and take away the possibility that he's going to sign elsewhere. 

Yeah, I read that hes been living in a hotel near the stadium for the last two years. He said that it was because he wasn't sure if he would last here. I think if we offered him a four-five year contract for slightly less than the tag number AAV that he would take it. 

Why would anyone want to kick in the windy city when they can put up career numbers in an offense that cant score touchdowns? LOL

Couple things to answer back to : 

- that’s right I forgot to include Gould and Pinion in my resigns but I just assumed they’d be back, interesting Gould doesn’t live here and Chicago needs a K dramatically...

- Tyrell Williams a lot more routes than just go’s and posts. He’s ran a lot of underneath stuff when he was starting for the Chargers a couple years back and last year. This year not so much but he’s not incapable. As far as the Shanny type WRs I think what’s been said and what we’ve assumed is true, however there comes a point when you have enough of the same thing or all of the same thing at the WR position. I feel we could definitely use some height. As far as WRs meshing with Jimmy G, time together is the biggest thing, outside of that I don’t think there’s certain style for any QB other than the open one of trusted one. Dropping Trent Taylor for the unspectacular Williams seems like  no brainer to me. Don’t get me wrong, I love Taylor but there’s nothing special about a guy who can gain 7 yards a catch and fall down or be tackled right away, especially one who’s 5’7” maybe 175 lbs with a growing injury list one of which being his back/neck. I think a WR group of Williams, Goodwin, Pettis, Samuel and James gives you some quality outside receiver depth, guys who can play in the slot, players who can line up out wide and even further guys who can do both which I think is truly valued in our offense. 

- Deebo Samuel not as good of athlete as people thought anymore sort of confuses me. I’m not sure what kind of athlete people thought he was but I watch his tape and see a guy who destroyed Clemson the last game of the regular season, can take kick offs back for TD and for being able to run away from defenders and not get caught from behind he seems to not mind lowering his shoulder pads or throwing a block. 

- I think we are taking for granted just how “good” our rush defense is. Up to this point  Jones has shown very little, and while we have DL who can man that spot they would be playing out of position, something we’ve seen a lot of over the past couple years, and would take away from their effectiveness. That’s a trend I would like to discontinue. I think our rush defense seems “fine” is because teams could throw it whenever and wherever they wanted. 

- Tried to realistically address as much of the pass rush issues as I could. Another year of our guys developing and with Barrett and Allen added to the mix I think we are well on our way. Can’t fill craters in a day, takes some time.

Not trying to get too defensive with my reasoning, just trying to give you all a little better insight into my thinking behind my moves.

Why is it always so automatic that Pinion will be back? He's nothing special, so far in his career. From what I can tell, he's been bottom third in the league in net average, and has shown no progression over his four years, he has only been pretty much the same, which is average at best. 

Am I not the greatest at nitpicking?

5 hours ago, John232 said:

Adrian Amos is arguably a top 10 safety...not sure he's going to hit the market. 

Agree with this, but if we did get Amos, Mosely, Moreau, and Glowinski, I'd be thrilled. Glow would easily start at G, imo. 

I don't know enough of these prospects to really judge yet. 

Archived