Bears interested in Kareem Hunt?

malagabears

Would be a solid addition after he finishes serving whatever suspension the NFL hands down on him.  No doubt that Hunt is an idiot for letting that whole situation escalate and get caught up on camera but I don't really think it's as bad as it looks, especially considering that he was allegedly called racial slurs by this woman, who I'm sure knew exactly who he was and what she was doing.

Hunt is a difference maker and one of the top young RBs in the NFL. Considering the situation the Bears find themselves in this off season without much draft capital and cap space to work with, signing Hunt to an incentive laden veteran minimum deal would be the equivalent of getting a 1st round pick and more since we already know he is a special talent.

If Bears signed Hunt, traded Howard for a mid round pick and drafted another RB as insurance, I think they would be way better off.

He is going to be punished by the league and should be punished by criminal justice system.

Does anyone say criminals or people who did bad things shouldn't be allowed to work? Nobody says people can't be dish washers or even wealthy business executives.  

I think objection comes for most isn't the compensation, but when they work in high profile entertainment jobs.

I guess question is at what point should someone be blackballed and shunned from one of these jobs and for what?

I don't think there is any question that Hunt will play in NFL again.  Does anyone think that?

Question then becomes is should the Bears shun and blackball him?

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

He is going to be punished by the league and should be punished by criminal justice system.

Does anyone say criminals or people who did bad things shouldn't be allowed to work? Nobody says people can't be dish washers or even wealthy business executives.  

I think objection comes for most isn't the compensation, but when they work in high profile entertainment jobs.

I guess question is at what point should someone be blackballed and shunned from one of these jobs and for what?

I don't think there is any question that Hunt will play in NFL again.  Does anyone think that?

Question then becomes is should the Bears shun and blackball him?

The criminal justice system passed on pressing charges.

It is misdemeanor assault and I do not think she wanted to press charges.

I asked one of mu buddies who is a cop about it, he said it is not ridiculous that he was not arrested. She did not want to press charges and based on the video it was a situation that both parties escalated. He said if she wanted him arrested they would have, but doubts that charges would ever have been filed if she was not injured.

Out of the entire press conference this takeaway was most promising for me... 

Really cemented for me that this is a new day at halas hall... Previous regimes stubbornly took the high character position to the extreme. Hunt will be disciplined for his actions by the proper authorities. No need for the organization to compete against itself in a PR battle.

The Hunt move just makes too much sense. Especially if his punishment is announced before the draft and FA, which would allow the team to move Howard for draft compensation.

In the end write a contract to protect against future character problems. But dont take your hat out the ring if you dont have to. 

I Bet Any Amount of Money The 49ers are pulling their hair out after overreacting to the Reuben Foster situation only for the Redskins to sweep in and claim one of the best up and coming defenders in the league...

Hunt has already served 5 games on the commissioner exempt list.

If he gets anymore than an additional 3 games my guess is he appeals it.

The domestic violence suspension is 6 games, which is worse than what Hunt did, so a lot more than 6 games I am sure he would argue is excessive.

I'm all for giving someone second chances. I don't know anything about this kid outside of reading that he's a good man for the most part, save for this obvious transgression.

I still maintain it takes two to tango, she was in the wrong for taunting him after he left as well.

I'd bring him on if Nagy vouches for him.

I still maintain if Nagy would vouch for him then he should have been claimed.

He handled himself poorly, no question about it. But what he did was peanuts compared to true domestic violence and other cases we have seen in the NFL. Let him serve his suspension, do the classes and such to appease the "PR issues" and make it clear this is his second chance, that this is a fine line that must be walked. Also point out his potential for growth and lessons to be learned, that he understands his transgressions, your faith in him moving forward, etc.

I don't like passing on an obvious talent for pennies and hoping Nagy can reel him in. When you can completely control a situation that will better the team you jump on it IMO, rather than waiting and allowing a multitude of factors to lessen the chances of making that immediate improvement.

31 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I agree with everything you guys are saying. I think we also need a backup plan if this guy loses his marbles again. How do we get a backup plan if Hunt goes nuts and we trade Howard?

I imagine that the contract would be strict in terms of any errors and he's gone. I also imagine it will be for pretty cheap. They can always use a 4th or 5th on an RB, too.

I'm coming around on the idea,  I do not want to disrupt our current  team cohesiveness and  passion but this could be HUGE positives for both  Hunt and Bears esp bc of Nagy  ..   either way we hang onto Howard unless a nice trade offer materializes

59 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I agree with everything you guys are saying. I think we also need a backup plan if this guy loses his marbles again. How do we get a backup plan if Hunt goes nuts and we trade Howard?

We already have a backup plan with Howard/Cohen. The offense has proven in can work with these (as long Nagy learns from his mistakes this year and adjusts accordingly). If Hunt don't work out, what do we have to lose?

Getting Hunt would be nothing but a positive with no strings attached. We get one of the best RB in the league who fits perfectly in this offense for peanuts. 

Hunt/Howard/Cohen>>>>>>Howard/Cohen/Mizzell

Sign me up. I'd have him in training and fitness programs before the ink dries up.

46 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

We already have a backup plan with Howard/Cohen. The offense has proven in can work with these (as long Nagy learns from his mistakes this year and adjusts accordingly). If Hunt don't work out, what do we have to lose?

Getting Hunt would be nothing but a positive with no strings attached. We get one of the best RB in the league who fits perfectly in this offense for peanuts. 

Hunt/Howard/Cohen>>>>>>Howard/Cohen/Mizzell

Sign me up. I'd have him in training and fitness programs before the ink dries up.

I don't seen us keeping Howard if we sign Hunt.

1 minute ago, Bigbear72 said:

I don't seen us keeping Howard if we sign Hunt.

Howard has only 1 year left on his rookie contract. The only way I don't us keeping Howard is if he is not willing to share snaps on a SB contending team. Even then, Howard and his agent doesn't necessarily have much in the way of leverage after him coming off of his worst season yet.

Hunt is all around back, Howard is a between the tackle bruiser and Cohen is a gadget player. This fits perfect in an offense that uses Cohen as a wide-out as much Nagy does.

Archived