Bears interested in Kareem Hunt?

malagabears

15 hours ago, G08 said:

By soon he means it's already over, but its superbowl week and there will be no NFL news this week that takes attention away from the game.  By Wednesday next week they will announce what the suspension will be.  Hunt will sign with someone shortly after

45 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

By soon he means it's already over, but its superbowl week and there will be no NFL news this week that takes attention away from the game.  By Wednesday next week they will announce what the suspension will be.  Hunt will sign with someone shortly after

You think they'll announce the suspension that quickly? I hope they do... best thing they can do for the kid and the league is to throw it out there, have a team sign him ASAP, and then not have to do a presser or anything like that until well after free agency.

I'm of the opinion this whole thing is stupid but it is what it is.

The kid played for Nagy, has played against Trubisky since they were 8 years old, and is a perfect fit for a huge need on our roster. I don't care if he's suspended 6 games... sign him the second you know you can get him (assuming McCaskey signs off). Watch his tape from the NFL and college, kid is a baller.

54 minutes ago, G08 said:

You think they'll announce the suspension that quickly? I hope they do... best thing they can do for the kid and the league is to throw it out there, have a team sign him ASAP, and then not have to do a presser or anything like that until well after free agency.

I'm of the opinion this whole thing is stupid but it is what it is.

The kid played for Nagy, has played against Trubisky since they were 8 years old, and is a perfect fit for a huge need on our roster. I don't care if he's suspended 6 games... sign him the second you know you can get him (assuming McCaskey signs off). Watch his tape from the NFL and college, kid is a baller.

It will be pretty quick.  Monday Flores and Taylor will get officially named to their new jobs.  Pressers will be Tues.  Wednesday is the perfect time to make the announcement.  They will want it done before the combine and that's just 3 weeks away.  You make the announcement, let the bad press happen, and it's done with before your next big event which is the combine.  I would also venture that they have likely already told Hunt what the punishment will be and hes agreed to not appeal.  Everybody comes out looking better for it.  NFL gets credit for taking it seriously, Hunt gets to look sincere in his remorse.  

Whatever deal Hunt signs will be an incentive based deal, and likely have a clause that covers off field incidents.  It makes too much sense for the Bears to do it and with the announcement of the pay bump for Howard, if you can sign Hunt quickly you can focus on trading Howard before the draft, and not worry about his salary.  After the draft is over if you didnt find a suitor, you cut him.  The Bears will probably not pay Howard his pay raise.

5 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

It will be pretty quick.  Monday Flores and Taylor will get officially named to their new jobs.  Pressers will be Tues.  Wednesday is the perfect time to make the announcement.  They will want it done before the combine and that's just 3 weeks away.  You make the announcement, let the bad press happen, and it's done with before your next big event which is the combine.  I would also venture that they have likely already told Hunt what the punishment will be and hes agreed to not appeal.  Everybody comes out looking better for it.  NFL gets credit for taking it seriously, Hunt gets to look sincere in his remorse.  

Whatever deal Hunt signs will be an incentive based deal, and likely have a clause that covers off field incidents.  It makes too much sense for the Bears to do it and with the announcement of the pay bump for Howard, if you can sign Hunt quickly you can focus on trading Howard before the draft, and not worry about his salary.  After the draft is over if you didnt find a suitor, you cut him.  The Bears will probably not pay Howard his pay raise.

All excellent points and I hope you are right! I do think that with Hunt being suspended we will need Howard to stick around. His raise won't kill us -- although it is far from ideal -- and it also won't give the optics that we are handing the job to Hunt right off the bat.

A cool thing I heard Hunt say multiple times at the Senior Bowl prior to his rookie season was how much he loved football and even if they weren't paying him he would still want to play. Of course, that goes out the window once you are talking about millions of dollars, but a part of me does think the kid wants a second chance AND a proper fit more than he wants to play for the highest bidder (think Malik Jackson back in 2016).

I can't stress enough how badly I want this to happen. This would be similar to the type of moves the Rams made in trading for Talib/Peters, signing Suh in FA, etc. The difference here is we are potentially taking a PR hit as opposed to losing draft picks/valuable salary cap. Plus the kid turns 24 in August -- this could be a move that lasts us for the next 4-6 years if we play it out correctly.

Make it happen, Pace!

Allen Robinson would be willing to embrace disgraced former Chiefs running back Kareem Hunt if the Bears were to sign him.

The Bears receiver said Thursday that Hunt seemed like a “good dude” the few times he’d interacted with him over the past two years. He admitted, though, that he wasn’t clear on the details surrounding Hunt’s release from the Chiefs on Nov. 30, when TMZ aired a video that showed him pushing and kicking a woman in a Cleveland hotel last year.

“From when I met [him] and everything like that, for us to bring him into our locker room, I think guys would welcome him with open arms,” Robinson said. “He’d be one of us. …

“A guy they’d bring into our locker room would be our brother.”

On 1/31/2019 at 9:02 AM, Superman(DH23) said:

I'm not at all as sure of that as you are. I hope you're right, though. 

On 2/1/2019 at 3:59 PM, G08 said:

Allen Robinson would be willing to embrace disgraced former Chiefs running back Kareem Hunt if the Bears were to sign him.

The Bears receiver said Thursday that Hunt seemed like a “good dude” the few times he’d interacted with him over the past two years. He admitted, though, that he wasn’t clear on the details surrounding Hunt’s release from the Chiefs on Nov. 30, when TMZ aired a video that showed him pushing and kicking a woman in a Cleveland hotel last year.

“From when I met [him] and everything like that, for us to bring him into our locker room, I think guys would welcome him with open arms,” Robinson said. “He’d be one of us. …

“A guy they’d bring into our locker room would be our brother.”

Reassuring to hear, and the fact he's talking about it means it's probably being discussed. 

19 minutes ago, G08 said:

I do want to stress that even though I've been banging this drum with the vigor of a pubescent teen, it's all with the understanding that Hunt owns his mistakes AND vows to never repeat them again.

Let's say Hunt is signed, becomes an integral part of the Bears offense, and repeats the same mistakes again in the middle of a playoff run. Will you be fine with cutting him or will you try to excuse his mistakes and give him another chance?

13 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Let's say Hunt is signed, becomes an integral part of the Bears offense, and repeats the same mistakes again in the middle of a playoff run. Will you be fine with cutting him or will you try to excuse his mistakes and give him another chance?

I'd cut him on the spot.

Archived