Bears interested in Kareem Hunt?

malagabears

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Really weird decision for Hunt.

He is now in a backfield with 3 other talented backs, one of which was a highly drafted and very productive rookie.

Not sure why he would rush to sign in a less than ideal situation.

Cleveland may have signed him just to trade him for a pick.  It's possible.

34 minutes ago, soulman said:

I don't believe not having Kareem Hunt will prevent the Bears from reaching a SB if that was your point.

Was just a joke although he could be a significant contributor to a stale uninspired offense 

8 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Was just a joke although he could be a significant contributor to a stale uninspired offense 

Well we kinda lack some those feigned sarcasm kinda smilies that drop a hint and I'm too new hereabouts to know the personalities of all of the players yet so I hope you'll excuse my not knowing that.  Some fans would see it that way although I don't know why.  The Pats often win SBs with whatever RB they've cycled or recycled that year.

I'll leave it to Pace to find another mid round talent we can begin to cycle in.  :D

13 minutes ago, Tyty said:

In madden 

Or in reality, and if not Hunt maybe one of their other backs.  Players get traded these days far more often than they did a decade ago.

Oh, and I don't play Madden or FF.  I'm only interested in the actual game itself and not imaginary NFL.  :P

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Really weird decision for Hunt.

He is now in a backfield with 3 other talented backs, one of which was a highly drafted and very productive rookie.

Not sure why he would rush to sign in a less than ideal situation.

He was signed for the same reason Pace should have claimed him. To add another much needed dimension on offense in time to make a playoff run, late in the season . 

2 hours ago, DABEARSLCF04 said:

I wonder if this makes Duke Johnson available? Id love to see him Bears Jersey.

Sorry but no thanks. Despite what the pundits may say, Duke is nothing special at all. He is a C grade RB who can be found in any mid-late draft and is also entering his 2nd contract year. We're better off giving Howard a 2nd contract -- which is very unlikely due to his limited ability.

--------------

I like Pace but he effed up on this one.

Pace should have kept Howard and Cohen for 2019 (no additional cost), then bit the bullet and ignored the PR BS and signed Hunt off waivers.

We would have had the same two RB's that we had this year until Hunt's suspension is up. This would have given Hunt plenty of time to acclimated with the players, locker room, team schedule, etc and time to learn the playbook (a playbook that Nagy claims to be so extensive) so he is ready for the 2nd half of the season and most importantly, the playoffs when we're making a legit run for the SB. 

Nagy's backfield would have looked like this: Hunt/Howard/Cohen <<< Match made in heaven that is setup for every scenario. 

--Early down between the guard short yardage back: Hunt/Howard
--Any down short outside yardage back: Hunt/Cohen
--Any down receiving back: Hunt/Cohen
--Late game run clock powerback: Howard/Hunt
--Long 2nd and 3rd down runner: Hunt/Howard
--Goal line back: Hunt/Howard

^^This right here is the perfect backfield for a Nagy type offense that is predicated on the shotgun formation running a heavy dose of RPO's.

Not only are you protected from the possibly of an injury without having to trout out a Mizzell or Cunningham but the amount of mismatches that it creates would open up the playbook so much more. With that much diversity in the backfield, you damn near can't lose. 

5 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

He was signed for the same reason Pace should have claimed him. To add another much needed dimension on offense in time to make a playoff run, late in the season . 

Sorry but no thanks. Despite what the pundits may say, Duke is nothing special at all. He is a C grade RB who can be found in any mid-late draft and is also entering his 2nd contract year. We're better off giving Howard a 2nd contract -- which is very unlikely due to his limited ability.

--------------

I like Pace but he effed up on this one.

Pace should have kept Howard and Cohen for 2019 (no additional cost), then bit the bullet and ignored the PR BS and signed Hunt off waivers.

We would have had the same two RB's that we had this year until Hunt's suspension is up. This would have given Hunt plenty of time to acclimated with the players, locker room, team schedule, etc and time to learn the playbook (a playbook that Nagy claims to be so extensive) so he is ready for the 2nd half of the season and most importantly, the playoffs when we're making a legit run for the SB. 

Nagy's backfield would have looked like this: Hunt/Howard/Cohen <<< Match made in heaven that is setup for every scenario. 

--Early down between the guard short yardage back: Hunt/Howard
--Any down short outside yardage back: Hunt/Cohen
--Any down receiving back: Hunt/Cohen
--Late game run clock powerback: Howard/Hunt
--Long 2nd and 3rd down runner: Hunt/Howard
--Goal line back: Hunt/Howard

^^This right here is the perfect backfield for a Nagy type offense that is predicated on the shotgun formation running a heavy dose of RPO's.

Not only are you protected from the possibly of an injury without having to trout out a Mizzell or Cunningham but the amount of mismatches that it creates would open up the playbook so much more. With that much diversity in the backfield, you damn near can't lose. 

Agree 100%.  What we don't and probably won't ever know is whether it was Pace's call.  Nagy obviously wanted him. 

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Maybe Pace tried but Hunt wanted to stay home

Maybe.  Seems Pace could have easily beat a 1 year 1 million dollar deal to convince him otherwise.

I think they didn't try too hard because Pace was kinda blah on idea or Pace was told no.

Either way he kind of short armed it with rumors to placate any fans that thought it was a good move.

Bears need more out of base run game to compete for a title.  Whether the answer is a more versatile every down back and problem is Howard or problem is O line or scheme or a mix I am not entirely sure.

I am sure answer is a mix, but I'm not sure which way it leans at this time.  I do know Bears need to address run game in 2019.  2018 wasn't good enough.

Could be simply character concerns too.  Let's face it this guy may have cost KC a 2018-19 Super Bowl.  That is no small thing.  What he did team wise was way worse than Parkey missing a key field goal.  He wasn't even there and he was a distraction.  

Maybe Pace didn't want that guy in his locker room.

We'll never know who made the call to not go after him though.  Pace isn't going to throw a boss under bus and will fall on sword if necessary.  I wouldn't either.

13 hours ago, soulman said:

Well we kinda lack some those feigned sarcasm kinda smilies that drop a hint and I'm too new hereabouts to know the personalities of all of the players yet so I hope you'll excuse my not knowing that.  Some fans would see it that way although I don't know why.  The Pats often win SBs with whatever RB they've cycled or recycled that year.

I'll leave it to Pace to find another mid round talent we can begin to cycle in.  :D

Ah well @Tyty is the village idiot, everything he says is generally satirical. @Sugashane tries very hard to be as funny as tyty and he does okay but has noticeably far less footballs on here. He also has a much firmer grasp on reality and happiness. @CBears019 is an egomaniac cause he’s a mod and thinks he’s better than everyone cause he once scammed Chase bank for thousands of dollars or something. @GOGRIESE complains quite a bit. @TankWilliams is a big tall nerd who can always see the weather and basketballs, he’s a basketball god of sorts. @Madmike90 is Scottish and lives in a castle and eats crumpets and has somehow managed to find out a lot about the Bears despite his country’s limitations. Everyone else is a carbon copy of each other pretty much and are all beautiful souls that deserve your spect

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I'm in 100% agreement @JustAnotherFan. Pace is a hell of a GM but not claiming Hunt was a mistake, especially when the draft capital is so limited this year. It would have been the best move he probably could have made this off-season. 

From a fit/ability/cost standpoint sure, but none of those matter without availability and that’s SUCH a question mark now. It would make sense to prioritize more of a sure thing. The Bears are trying to win the Super Bowl THIS year. Hunt will by all accounts be available at most only part of the season, and possibly not at all. I think we are overlooking that more than we should be.

If anything I think that NOT signing Hunt gives us more of a look into Pace’s offseason plans. Namely, I think it means he’s at least looking at acquiring our next top back in free agency. Think about it - if Hunt is already in the fold for late 2019 and beyond on a RFA tender we aren’t getting any RB of consequence in FA. Coleman, Bell, Ingram, etc. are all going to want to go be the guy. With Hunt in play they’re off the table even if Hunt doesn’t actually play at all. That’s bad business for Pace. Even if he doesn’t ultimately end up targeting those guys closing his options way off ahead of FA for such a question mark is not a prudent move.

Cleveland, on the other hand, HAS that luxury. They already have Chubb and Johnson. If the Hunt thing blows up in their face they still have Chubb and Johnson under contract for the next 3 years. Financial risk is nothing. PR hit is muted with their fan base. If we add Hunt and then presumably push RB down the draft need board if he’s unavailable for most or all of 2019 then we’re left with the group from last year that isn’t good enough, and Pace is an idiot. 

We have 2 more years with Mitch making < $10M. This could very well be the offseason Pace tries to go 2018 Rams in the offseason where they added Suh, Peters and Cooks while their QB was cheap. Until I have reason to think otherwise I won’t rule it out that Pace is thinking BIG with RB, with Le’Veon even in play. The opportunity we have this offseason in particular to take the big swing and not suicide our financial future is one we may ONLY have this offseason. The 2018 Bears with replacement level replacements for Callahan and Amos with Le’Veon Bell at RB are arguably the SB favorite in the NFC. Pace built this roster meticulously over 4 years to have an extended championship window, but if there was ever a time for him to push his chips into the middle it’s now. 

Archived