Bears interested in Kareem Hunt?

malagabears

On 3/1/2019 at 4:41 PM, Heinz D. said:

Hunt signed with the Browns, didn't he? 

Why is this still a thread? O.o

This is a thread because it was always a thread... it isn't a "thread fluid" kinda place, ya know? Lol

Plus we can complain about the non-signing here without derailing other threads. 

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

This is a thread because it was always a thread... it isn't a "thread fluid" kinda place, ya know? Lol

Plus we can complain about the non-signing here without derailing other threads. 

"Thread fluid" just sounds wrong. o.O

Oh, so I complain here, eh? Then--I complain!!!

Actually, why did he sign with the Browns, anyway? They have Chubb. Seems weird. 

21 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Actually, why did he sign with the Browns, anyway? They have Chubb. Seems weird. 

He probably feels like he can demonstrate his efficiency and his ability to both run and catch, in a new offense, without racking up a ton of mileage.

Means a bigger payday for him later.

1 hour ago, chisoxguy7 said:

He probably feels like he can demonstrate his efficiency and his ability to both run and catch, in a new offense, without racking up a ton of mileage.

Means a bigger payday for him later.

Maybe. Could be the Bears weren't much interested in him, too. 

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Is someone thread-phobic?

I'm guessing the market was quite a bit slower than he anticipated, and rather than wait for someone to pick him up after the draft - and likely to a number of teams that wouldn't be very impressive - he saw a chance to jump into a rising offense with some talented pieces to take pressure off of him.

My future mocks will have him, because I would have put in the waiver claim.  I can see why Pace didn't, until we get the player and they establish themself though it seems a dangerous move.

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

My future mocks will have him, because I would have put in the waiver claim.  I can see why Pace didn't, until we get the player and they establish themself though it seems a dangerous move.

It could be that Pace intends to draft a guy, and still keep Howard around as insurance. That gives them more flexibility, anyway. If Cohen improves, he could be looking at a second contract the Bears won't want to pay to a back that isn't an every down player. 

45 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

It could be that Pace intends to draft a guy, and still keep Howard around as insurance. That gives them more flexibility, anyway. If Cohen improves, he could be looking at a second contract the Bears won't want to pay to a back that isn't an every down player. 

Cohen’s next contract (here or elsewhere) is going to be unique because his value isn’t really at all tied to his ability as a RB. There aren’t really any other players against whom he can be compared other than Sproles, and his prime contract(s) are too far in the past to use as a basis for Cohen’s next deal. 

11 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Cohen’s next contract (here or elsewhere) is going to be unique because his value isn’t really at all tied to his ability as a RB. There aren’t really any other players against whom he can be compared other than Sproles, and his prime contract(s) are too far in the past to use as a basis for Cohen’s next deal. 

I do agree--except, he's going to have to perform more consistently than he has to merit the big bucks. If that happens (and it's entirely possible), then I could see a cap rich team giving him a big deal just to be a Swiss army knife type offensive threat. If he doesn't improve--more chunk/splash plays, fewer negative/botched plays--it may not be all that difficult for the Bears to keep him. We'll see. 

12 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I do agree--except, he's going to have to perform more consistently than he has to merit the big bucks. If that happens (and it's entirely possible), then I could see a cap rich team giving him a big deal just to be a Swiss army knife type offensive threat. If he doesn't improve--more chunk/splash plays, fewer negative/botched plays--it may not be all that difficult for the Bears to keep him. We'll see. 

I think that’s a fair assessment. Trying to keep my Bear goggles out of it and be completely objective, as RBs go his production is in line with guys like James White (3/$12M) or Duke Johnson (3/$15.6M) but IMO with a more explosiveness offered in the passing game, plus return value. So what’s that worth in that context - 4/$30M with a 50% guarantee? Is Cohen’s camp gonna accept that? Fair and acceptable are often not the same thing. 

6 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Funny thing is that Cohen has only had 24 more rushes than he has passing targets. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted him paid as a WR based on his production there if it is better suited to him than using RBs that have comparable stats. It is his first contract where  he has any leverage and he and his agent likely will want to get as much as possible, as would I. This year will be what they really use to drive their demands IMO, as Cohen will likely be used even more.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived