Denver hires OL Coach Mike Munchak

iLikeDefense

Elway is not playing. Two grade-A hires.

--First hires arguably the best DC in football as a HC to pair with an already top-10 defense led by Von.

--Now hires the clear-cut best OL coach in the league to take over at the same position led by Paradis. 

Elway is definitely assembling an all-star class of coaches, but this is the NFL and not college.  The players make more than the coaches, and getting them to buy in is going to be absolutely key.  I worry about two old-school guys like Fangio and Munchak being able to develop the kind of culture that, say, McVay has developed with the Rams.  Alternately, old school may be what the Broncos need. 

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Elway is definitely assembling an all-star class of coaches, but this is the NFL and not college.  The players make more than the coaches, and getting them to buy in is going to be absolutely key.  I worry about two old-school guys like Fangio and Munchak being able to develop the kind of culture that, say, McVay has developed with the Rams.  Alternately, old school may be what the Broncos need. 

The HC concern is fair about anyone new to the HC job, but I don't know that who you hire as an OL coach has any bearing on buy-in for his job.  Munchak's record of success should be more than enough to get buy-in from the OL.    Everywhere Munchak's gone, he's encountered nothing but success.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

The HC concern is fair about anyone new to the HC job, but I don't know that who you hire as an OL coach has any bearing on buy-in for his job.  Munchak's record of success should be more than enough to get buy-in from the OL.    Everywhere Munchak's gone, he's encountered nothing but success.

I am assuming they tag on Assistant/Associate Head Coach to Munchak's title, meaning he's the man in the absence of Fangio, meaning he's going to have to be part of the culture and more than just in the OL room.  

5 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

They say the game starts up front and with Fangio/Munchak, I'd say it would be a good route to take.

Just now, JustAnotherFan said:

They say the game starts up front and with Fangio/Munchak, I'd say it would be a good route to take.

Absolutely, 100% agree, at all levels of football from high school on up.  The trenches are important, if often underlooked now, but great line play flows backwards and makes everyone else better. 

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Wow that’s huge. Pittsburgh is going to struggle 

Why? Our starters are seasoned vets and already established.

It might hurt us coaching up future lineman, but our current line will be fine. 

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Absolutely, 100% agree, at all levels of football from high school on up.  The trenches are important, if often underlooked now, but great line play flows backwards and makes everyone else better. 

Only exceptions I've seen is our 2015 Championship Team. That Offensive Line outside of Paradis was absolutely terrible. 

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Why? Our starters are seasoned vets and already established.

It might hurt us coaching up future lineman, but our current line will be fine. 

Well, they may let Foster walk and Gilbert missed most of the year and is kind of stealing a paycheck. So that's 40% of that seasoned OL that could be gone right off the bat.

They just lost a coach they covet on a lateral move.

6 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

The greatest OL coach in NFL history, and no one is ever going to convince me otherwise. Guy is an absolute legend.

he turned the steelers OL from one of the worst to one of the better ones for several years.  This is the biggest loss for the steelers (so far). AB will be next

58 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Well, they may let Foster walk and Gilbert missed most of the year and is kind of stealing a paycheck. So that's 40% of that seasoned OL that could be gone right off the bat.

They just lost a coach they covet on a lateral move.

I hate that we lost Munch, but I think our current line will still be solid.    The two we are set to lose are our two most replaceable guys.    Feiler did a nice job at RT.

Time will tell how much it effects us both short term and long term.     

PS....technically Munch took a lateral move, but he is also closer to his family, which is why many speculated he might go to Denver over other places, even as head coach.

Archived