Vikings hire Gary Kubiak for “offensive advisor”

pwny

9 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The one concern I'd have too.  My reason for concern with MIN is that Kubiak could have stayed in DEN's FO as an "advisor" - so you have to wonder if there's something more offered - he doesn't want to be HC anymore, but OC was definitely his idea with staying in DEN.  If Kubiak gets to bring his 3 amigos in (Dennison OL coach, Pariani  as TE coach, son Klint as QBC), then it could be Zimmer's plan B if his itchy trigger finger to fire OC's happens again this year (lol).   That would be a mistake IMO.  Although not as bad of one with an actual QB on the team.

The biggest priority MIN can have is upgrading the trenches.   IMO Dennison doesn't really do that.   That's where hiring Kubiak could be a detriment.  If he's offering experience and getting the most of the MIN O with a vet QB, and MIN finds a better OL coach than Dennison, great.   We'll see.

I'm thinking that maybe Kubiak is Zimmer's play B if Stefanski gets hired away from us after next year.  If that is the case, I don't hate the idea because it is a way of giving the offense a little bit of continuity even when you lose your OC.  I don't know what to think of Kubiak as an OC at this point, but it could be better than having to start out with a third OC and another whole offense in the three years Cousins will have been signed.

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'm thinking that maybe Kubiak is Zimmer's play B if Stefanski gets hired away from us after next year.  If that is the case, I don't hate the idea because it is a way of giving the offense a little bit of continuity even when you lose your OC.  I don't know what to think of Kubiak as an OC at this point, but it could be better than having to start out with a third OC and another whole offense in the three years Cousins will have been signed.

That’s possible for sure.  FWIW having his son Klint as QBC tells me the long game in Kubiak’s mind is to have Klint be the future OC.  Health is why he retired and it’s legit.  

But his insistence to have Pariani and Dennison is notable since it’s what led to his DEN OC re-hire to fall apart.  Pariani was the biggest area of contention followed by Dennison but it was a deal breaker esp since Fangio & Elway has settled on targeting Munchak as OL coach.  

Again the biggest difference is that MIN has its QB and overall much better talent at the skill positions.   So we will see how it goes there.  QB selection was Kubiak’s biggest weakness so it’s a non issue in MIN.  Really it’s just a matter of how well Kubiak has adapted to today’s game with his WCO if he and Klint do take over the O.

Perhaps the biggest flaw for Gary Kubiak - bringing in and keeping his guys. Sounds like it was the reason he left Denver.

Good pickup for the Vikings, but let's hope that Kubiak brand of nepotism doesn't work its way through the Vikings.

So Kubiak is bringing along Dennison and Pariani... which makes it it's hard to see how this is just an 'advisory role' or how Stefanski can expect to really have any authority or autonomy over that offense. If you're bringing in Kubiak's assistants to install 'his' offense, what's the point in pretending Kubiak isn't the guy running the show? 

If I'm Stefanski I'd be pretty mad tbh, first Zimmer blocks him from taking the OC job in NYG, and then later when he finally gets his promotion, he basically gets layered over right after signing a new contract? 

30 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

So Kubiak is bringing along Dennison and Pariani... which makes it it's hard to see how this is just an 'advisory role' or how Stefanski can expect to really have any authority or autonomy over that offense. If you're bringing in Kubiak's assistants to install 'his' offense, what's the point in pretending Kubiak isn't the guy running the show? 

If I'm Stefanski I'd be pretty mad tbh, first Zimmer blocks him from taking the OC job in NYG, and then later when he finally gets his promotion, he basically gets layered over right after signing a new contract? 

I was a bit surprised when it was announced he was going back to Minnesota. Maybe he wasn't getting any OC opportunities elsewhere?

Kubiak is a good offensive mind, so it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

I was a bit surprised when it was announced he was going back to Minnesota. Maybe he wasn't getting any OC opportunities elsewhere?

Kubiak is a good offensive mind, so it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

I think it's a good opportunity if you're an ambitious coach looking to move up; on paper you'd get pretty much full control of the offense given that the HC is defensive-minded and there's a good deal of talent to work with between the QB and skill position players. 

Question is whether Stefanski knew the Vikings were gonna go and sign another guy for basically the same role with even more staffing power than he does before the ink even dried on him signing on to the OC job. 

3 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

or Kubiak concentrates mainly on the run game, and Stef on passing.

maybe, just maybe, Stef is just fine with this hire.

Archived