Who the Browns are showing interest in.

Horseunit

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Hes on the Jarvis Landry time table. Jarvis has an opt out after this year and Randall will be a UFA. I cant see both gone, but I can see Randall being a trade chip on draft day or traded at the deadline if they draft a S in the 2nd/3rd this year like Adderley since he would basically be the same role as Randall.

Either way, I dont think either is gone after this year at the end of the day. The Browns still have more pressing needs to address in the draft than a cap saving FS with a high pick. However, it wouldnt shock me if they dont offer Randall a long deal.

Who has the opt out us or juice? Is it different to releasing him?

7 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Who has the opt out us or juice? Is it different to releasing him?

Us. We can either opt out and basically cut his contract short 3 years with 4.5m in dead money. Its like releasing him but you have to pay the 4.5m  dead cap money instead of paying Landry an average of 13m per season for 3 years after that.

Its basically a 'whoops we f'd up' clause in his contract if they want to pay a small 'cancellation fee' instead of being locked into his crazy high contract for 3 more years.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

Part of me thinks that the OBJ trade marries us to Jarvis for a few more years.  I'm not sure you want to tick OBJ off after one year here in Cleveland by parting ways with his best buddy.  Whether or not we could spend that money better or find a more suitable #2 WR.  Landry is the only connection to Cleveland for Beckham.  I think they are going to try to keep the man happy for a few years.  Even if it means you are tied to a bad Landry contract for a little while. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Us. We can either opt out and basically cut his contract short 3 years with 4.5m in dead money. Its like releasing him but you have to pay the 4.5m  dead cap money instead of paying Landry an average of 13m per season for 3 years after that.

Its basically a 'whoops we f'd up' clause in his contract if they want to pay a small 'cancellation fee' instead of being locked into his crazy high contract for 3 more years.

Got ya. 

It will be interesting to see how team dynamics play out with juice and obj, obj might spat if we let go of juice. 

3 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Part of me thinks that the OBJ trade marries us to Jarvis for a few more years.  I'm not sure you want to tick OBJ off after one year here in Cleveland by parting ways with his best buddy.  Whether or not we could spend that money better or find a more suitable #2 WR.  Landry is the only connection to Cleveland for Beckham.  I think they are going to try to keep the man happy for a few years.  Even if it means you are tied to a bad Landry contract for a little while. 

Landry's contract looks a little more reasonable each year as the salary cap increases. Tyrrell Williams, Cole Beasley and an aging Golden Tate just got PAID. 

3/$39 mil signed in 2020 isn't really gonna look that daunting to deal with.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Landry's contract looks a little more reasonable each year as the salary cap increases. Tyrrell Williams, Cole Beasley and an aging Golden Tate just got PAID. 

3/$39 mil signed in 2020 isn't really gonna look that daunting to deal with.

He is still a top 7 paid wr atm with a few set to jump in the next few years. 

His clause is low we would be lucky to get a 4th in a trade for him.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Hes on the Jarvis Landry time table. Jarvis has an opt out after this year and Randall will be a UFA. I cant see both gone, but I can see Randall being a trade chip on draft day or traded at the deadline if they draft a S in the 2nd/3rd this year like Adderley since he would basically be the same role as Randall.

Either way, I dont think either is gone after this year at the end of the day. The Browns still have more pressing needs to address in the draft than a cap saving FS with a high pick. However, it wouldnt shock me if they dont offer Randall a long deal.

Given OBJ’s issues in new york, i think we keep his best friend that happens to be very good in his own right, around to keep Odell happy.

1 hour ago, DizzyDean said:

Given OBJ’s issues in new york, i think we keep his best friend that happens to be very good in his own right, around to keep Odell happy.

Yeap, problem is that Jarvis is nowhere close to being worth the 14-15m he is going to be getting paid to be OBJs BFF. Hes a good WR, but he is going to be getting way over his actual on-field value for the next few years. He is set to earn 14m, 14m, 15m, 16m for the next 4 years on his deal. He is going to be getting paid more than AJ Green, Devonte Adams, Julio Jones, TY Hilton, Keenan Allen and Stefon Diggs per year. Thats a bad contract considering hes not better than any of those WRs.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeap, problem is that Jarvis is nowhere close to being worth the 14-15m he is going to be getting paid to be OBJs BFF. Hes a good WR, but he is going to be getting way over his actual on-field value for the next few years. He is set to earn 14m, 14m, 15m, 16m for the next 4 years on his deal. He is going to be getting paid more than AJ Green, Devonte Adams, Julio Jones, TY Hilton, Keenan Allen and Stefon Diggs per year. Thats a bad contract considering hes not better than any of those WRs.

Yeah, unless the cap goes up 10-15% after the cba it is a bad deal. 

If Callaway keeps it together he is going to be our no. 2 wr and a top 10 in the nfl which will make juice even more over payed to be the 3rd to 4th best target on a team. 

I agree with @NateDawg we have to keep him 2 years at min.

5 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Yeah he’s not going anywhere with OBJ here imo.

Cutting him is going to sour things with OBJ to some degree, you’d better have some equity built up with OBJ first.

5 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Landry is the only connection to Cleveland for Beckham. 

WRONG! Lol

dont forget about Adam henry the WR coach. Henry coached OBJ at LSU but he was also his position coach for OBJ with the Giants in ‘16&’17. 

• Like 1

Landy won't be going anywhere anytime soon. He's overpaid yes, but I can't see us letting him go now that we have Beckham. Plus, he seems like a big leader in the locker room. He's not on a great contract but I don't think it's horrible either. He was good for us last year, but I expect he'll be even better this year now that defenses will have to focus a lot on Odell.

• Like 1

Jarvis Landry is a top 20 at worst, probably a top 12 WR.  No he isn't a WR1, but his value is not over paid.  We likely won't keep him his full contract, nor resign him, but he is not overpaid currently imho.  WRs get what the market dictates.  He got compensated based on 100+ receptions per year, and his ability to make tough catches.  He is worth every penny while we have the money to burn.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tomahawk said:

Why would we trade Randall?  I just don't see a scenario in which it benefits us this year.

Landry isn't going anywhere until maybe after the 2021 season.  

Its not because of Randalls production, its quite the opposite. He may have priced himself too high with his great play if he thinks he is going to be getting Earl Thomas, Tyrann Matheiu type money. 

Just thinking from a business standpoint I dont see the Browns shelling out a 4 year/54mill deal for Randall with Baker/Myles contracts waiting in the wings. I think thats 1) why we are not seeing the Browns blowing through the rest of their cap and 2) Inkin ANY player to a longterm contract that doesnt have a 2020/2021 opt-out. I would be willing to bet 85+% of this current roster is either on a rookie contract OR has a opt out in their contract during the 2020/2021 season. Right when Myles/Baker are set to re-up.

I also find it suspicious that the Browns have been just hanging out for the past month or two with plenty of time to get a deal done, but havent even with Randall publicly on social media saying that he is waiting for that conversation. It seems like the Browns are waiting to see what happens in the draft first. If the Browns really really wanted Randall longterm, there has been plenty of time since January to get that deal done. The fact that it hasnt yet tells me there are waiting for something.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1