Who the Browns are showing interest in.

Horseunit

We don't have the depth currently to use him as trade bait.  And I don't see us being big FA spenders next year either.  I think this is the year we work on adding quality depth, and future draft picks.  And we will let our UFAs walk starting next year to start stock piling compensatory picks.  

I don't think they are worried about extending any players they have right now.  That will likely transpire during July/Aug/Sept this year as that is when most of those types of deals are hashed out. 

2020 scheduled UFA:

Greg Robinson, JC Tretter, Drew Stanton, Rashard Higgins, Carl Davis, Damarious Randall, Ray-Ray Armstrong, Kareem Hunt, Phillip Gaines, Eric Murray, Jaelen Strong, Seth Devalve, Tevon Coley, Dontrell Hilliard. 

Im sure I missed a few.  However based on our current roster I think,

Hunt(baring off field issues), Robinson, Randall, Gaines, Murray, Hilliard would be the only ones they try to get an extension done with this year. 

Obviously we won't be working on a deal with Hunt until the offseason in 2020.  I doubt we do anything with Robinson until we see how new talent competes.  If week 3/4 he seems like the long term answer, I think they get that done before the end of October.   The rest will likely occur during pre-season and the first few weeks of the regular season and if not use tenders on them.

After that I think they let all the guys walk and hope for some compensatory picks based on them leaving. 

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d much rather pay Randall 10/yr than guys like Hubbard 7, Smith 3, Carrie 7, etc.

There’s fat I’d trim before Randall.

10/yr would be fantastic, problem is hes going to want more than that and the safety market reset itself with Mathieu/Earl/Collins. I have a feeling he is going to want a deal that gives him something in the 13/14mill range. Mathieu is getting 14/yr and Earl is getting around 15/16 per year and Collins is also at 14/yr.

At this point getting Randall at 11/12m per year would be a win.

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

10/yr would be fantastic, problem is hes going to want more than that and the safety market reset itself with Mathieu/Earl/Collins. I have a feeling he is going to want a deal that gives him something in the 13/14mill range. Mathieu is getting 14/yr and Earl is getting around 15/16 per year and Collins is also at 14/yr.

At this point getting Randall at 11/12m per year would be a win.

Ok, I mean keep his 9 from this year, add in the 4 we gain from Tretter’s expiring deal and we’re aces.

I get keeping an eye on the cap for Baker and Myles, but a very good 26 year old safety with legit corner versatility is a keeper imo.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Ok, I mean keep his 9 from this year, add in the 4 we gain from Tretter’s expiring deal and we’re aces.

I get keeping an eye on the cap for Baker and Myles, but a very good 26 year old safety with legit corner versatility is a keeper imo.

No doubt! Him and Schobert both are guys you would want to keep around for the next few yrs. They could always just frontload his deal for the next 2 years and get around the cap that way too. Its just something is strange with them not getting Randall done already. Maybe im overthinking it. Dorsey is usually uber aggressive and the fact that he has been relatively silent for months on Randall/Schoberts contract makes me think somethings up or they are waiting till post draft.

Honestly, if they don't get Randall to extend 3-4 years at less than 12 mill a year, I don't think they keep.   Keep in mind though, that if their intentions are to be fairly inactive next year in FA, then they could front load a lot of these contracts and extensions so they have less of an impact when it comes time to resign our studs.  

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

No doubt! Him and Schobert both are guys you would want to keep around for the next few yrs. They could always just frontload his deal for the next 2 years and get around the cap that way too. Its just something is strange with them not getting Randall done already. Maybe im overthinking it. Dorsey is usually uber aggressive and the fact that he has been relatively silent for months on Randall/Schoberts contract makes me think somethings up or they are waiting till post draft.

I think the fact we’re running a new defense may be a factor as well.  

Wait and see how these guys fit into Wilks scheme.

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its just something is strange with them not getting Randall done already. Maybe im overthinking it. Dorsey is usually uber aggressive and the fact that he has been relatively silent for months on Randall/Schoberts contract makes me think somethings up or they are waiting till post draft.

I think everyone is over thinking this.   The problem is at this time everyone Cleveland related is used to being neck deep in who we are drafting, where are we going to get our QB, and things like that.  They don't usually have contract extensions worked out until after that draft, unless it was someone who was going to be an UFA THIS year. 

Wait for September to come around then you can worry whether the no talks is an issue.

1 hour ago, Tomahawk said:

We don't have the depth currently to use him as trade bait.  And I don't see us being big FA spenders next year either.  I think this is the year we work on adding quality depth, and future draft picks.  And we will let our UFAs walk starting next year to start stock piling compensatory picks.  

I don't think they are worried about extending any players they have right now.  That will likely transpire during July/Aug/Sept this year as that is when most of those types of deals are hashed out. 

2020 scheduled UFA:

Greg Robinson, JC Tretter, Drew Stanton, Rashard Higgins, Carl Davis, Damarious Randall, Ray-Ray Armstrong, Kareem Hunt, Phillip Gaines, Eric Murray, Jaelen Strong, Seth Devalve, Tevon Coley, Dontrell Hilliard. 

Im sure I missed a few.  However based on our current roster I think,

Hunt(baring off field issues), Robinson, Randall, Gaines, Murray, Hilliard would be the only ones they try to get an extension done with this year. 

Obviously we won't be working on a deal with Hunt until the offseason in 2020.  I doubt we do anything with Robinson until we see how new talent competes.  If week 3/4 he seems like the long term answer, I think they get that done before the end of October.   The rest will likely occur during pre-season and the first few weeks of the regular season and if not use tenders on them.

After that I think they let all the guys walk and hope for some compensatory picks based on them leaving. 

Kareem Hunt will be an restricted free agent.

He hasn't played long enough to be unrestricted for what its worth...

11 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

Kareem Hunt will be an restricted free agent.

He hasn't played long enough to be unrestricted for what its worth...

If he plays 6 of the  8 games he is currently eligible for, it will be an RFA.  However I still expect them to work on his deal immediately following the season and not before. 

9 hours ago, buno67 said:

WRONG! Lol

dont forget about Adam henry the WR coach. Henry coached OBJ at LSU but he was also his position coach for OBJ with the Giants in ‘16&’17. 

I don't think Adam Henry and OBJ are hitting the club together though.  Something tells me if Henry left Cleveland, OBJ would be a little less affected than if his best buddy did. 

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

I dont think Hubbard is that bad or that over payed. A top rt tackle can get 10 million per year. 

I wish he had more punch in the run game, but he keeps Baker up right. 

#teamhub

No he’s fine, but you could likely get similar production from a day 2 pick with a year of seasoning and he’d cost a mil or two a year.

Archived