AFC Championship GDT

onejayhawk

16 minutes ago, Edge said:

It would be so cool if she sings "home of the Chiefs".

Wouldn't expect anything else. I actually used to live a five minute walk from where she won one of her (the??) first trophies. Note the spelling of amatUEr ... :D

melissa-etheridge---breakdown---music-cd

Just an active roster update...

2 OT, 5 OG, 3 C, 3 TE, 7 WR, 4 RB, 1 FB = 25 offense

3 DE, 2 NT, 5 OLB, 4 ILB, 5 CB, 4 S = 23 defense

1 K, 1 P, 1 LS = 3 special teams

For a team that could use more bodies on the defense, we sure like our interior OL and WR. It blows my mind that we've kept Kelvin Benjamin. His highlights include being inactive for 2 out of 5 games which coincidentally goes well with his stats: 5 targets, 2 catches, 26 yds, 1 dropped TD, 0 separation)

If Berry can't play or plays and can't finish the game, the only safeties that we have on the roster are Lucas, Sorenson, and Murray. We have FIVE total DL. There's no way that they'll be able to effectively rotate to remain fresh against the run game.

19 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Just an active roster update...

2 OT, 5 OG, 3 C, 3 TE, 7 WR, 4 RB, 1 FB = 25 offense

3 DE, 2 NT, 5 OLB, 4 ILB, 5 CB, 4 S = 23 defense

1 K, 1 P, 1 LS = 3 special teams

For a team that could use more bodies on the defense, we sure like our interior OL and WR. It blows my mind that we've kept Kelvin Benjamin. His highlights include being inactive for 2 out of 5 games which coincidentally goes well with his stats: 5 targets, 2 catches, 26 yds, 1 dropped TD, 0 separation)

If Berry can't play or plays and can't finish the game, the only safeties that we have on the roster are Lucas, Sorenson, and Murray. We have FIVE total DL. There's no way that they'll be able to effectively rotate to remain fresh against the run game.

This would lead me to believe Berry is going to give it a go.

• Like 1

The weather report is improving slightly. Current predictions are for the snow to move further from game time and for less bitter cold. Sub-zero actual temps are no longer anywhere in the forecast. It's all relative. We are still looking at temperatures in the teens throughout the game.

LDT is back on the active list, but I do not expect to see much of him. For the Super Bowl, maybe. Having Sammy Watkins back at speed is more important. Defensively, other than Eric Berry we have been healthy and done well the last two games. He would be a big asset, but I suspect having him on the sidelines in uniform is still a boost. We need one. New England's running game is formidable.

I don't think LDT is integrated now in the lineup. For the SB though? Probably if we make it there.

Here are the four keys imho to win this

Run the ball: We know BB loves to take away a player from the game. We might see a lot of double teaming on Hill or Kelce. If we can stick to the run, we can have BB worry about the two sides of the offense. I really hope Andy doesn't blow it that way again. I'd love to see Mahomes on more designed runs here too.

Win our 1vs1 matchups: Can't double team everyone and I don't see the Patriots back seven as particularly intimidating. Gilmore could shut down Watkins, and they could double Hill or Kelce, so it's very important that we can regularly win our other matchups, and I think we can feast on whoever is 1vs1 between Hill and Kelce. 

Stop the run: We stopped Mack early vs the Colts and it gave us a huge advantage in that game. Let's get it done again vs a team who will pound the rock

Nelson/Fuller/Ward vs Edelman: I have no hope in our defense vs James White, and I believe he's bound for a big game. But the Pats have limited resources behind. Gordon is gone, Gronk is done, Hogan is bad, Michel isn't a huge threat as a receiver yet. So if we can slow down Edelman with one of our corners, it would be huge for us.

People have been talking about the Colts having the best OL in football. Don't look now but it's hard to distinguish it from the Patriot's OL. Indy had the fewest sacks, 18, but NE had only 21 and they throw a lot more. As a run blocking unit, both are legitimately top 5 along with the Chargers, Rams,  and Saints. 

That said, we bring the heat when we want to. The ability to restrict 1st down yardage is critical--hence the potential issues with White and Michel. Scoring TDs the first two possessions would send the correct signal, but the first four would be better.

J

Just a quick note from Browns nation -

GO CHIEFS! Take no prisoners!

If you are up 21 with less than a minute to go with the ball on the NE 5...............

Call timeout to punch it in! Then go for two! (shamelessly stealing a Woody Hayes line "Because I couldn't go for 3!").

Is my anti-Patriot bias showing ????

Seriously, guys - stay warm, have a great time - and kick the snot out of them!

• Like 1