AFC Championship GDT

onejayhawk

I was amazed how many calls went to the replay booth where so many decisions went against KC.  Edelman had his muffed punt return overturned in favor of NE. They spent forever looking at this. The ruling on the field was "KC's ball". The ruling on the field is supposed to stand unless "clear and convincing evidence" overturns it. Sorry, but I didn't see that, but the replay booth did.

Or how about Chris Hogan's 3rd down catch that touched the ground? The replay booth couldn't see the ground and ball touch? I could easily. Not the boys in the replay booth.

I don't like the OT rules that let NE score and not even give KC the ball. I'd much rather see the offenses try to outscore each other. Don't they do that in college OT games?

Now there's talk of giving the replay booth final say on pass interference after the debacle in New Orleans. Egads.

NE, Brady and Belichick are treated like NFL gods at KC's expense. I don't know how long this will keep me sick, but i'm afraid it will until at least this time next year.

Edited by mayanfootball

35 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

I was amazed how many calls went to the replay booth where so many decisions went against KC.  Edelman had his muffed punt return overturned in favor of NE. They spent forever looking at this. The ruling on the field was "KC's ball". The ruling on the field is supposed to stand unless "clear and convincing evidence" overturns it. Sorry, but I didn't see that, but the replay booth did.

Or how about Chris Hogan's 3rd down catch that touched the ground? The replay booth couldn't see the ground and ball touch? I could easily. Not the boys in the replay booth.

I don't like the OT rules that let NE score and not even give KC the ball. I'd much rather see the offenses try to outscore each other. Don't they do that in college OT games?

Now there's talk of giving the replay booth final say on pass interference after the debacle in New Orleans. Egads.

NE, Brady and Belichick are treated like NFL gods at KC's expense. I don't know how long this will keep me sick, but i'm afraid it will until at least this time next year.

You saw what you wanted to see on the replays because you are a fan. The officials looked at the plays for what they were. Had the Chiefs got the ball first and scored a TD would you want the overtime system changed? 

Yes the roughing the passer call was bad, but it was no worse than the lack of a pass interference call on the same play. The Chiefs were the second most flagged team in the NFL for PI yet they were called once of PI in the game, so who was favored? 

I know it sucks to come close and not win. This game didn't come down to rules that need to change or calls that were or were not made, it came down to stops. And in the end the Chiefs defense could not get a stop. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

I think the booth reviews were ok.

The original call on the Hogan catch was decisive - if it had been called incomplete that would have stood as well.
The only call I have REAL issues with was the Roughing the Passer thingy against Jones. But that's not reviewable, so that is that. At least it wasn't as flagrant as the DPI-non call in New Orleans.

On the other hand the Chiefs got away with a couple of plays that could have been called DPI against them as well. Just watch Belichik's reaction towards the end of the game.

4 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

On the other hand the Chiefs got away with a couple of plays that could have been called DPI against them as well. Just watch Belichik's reaction towards the end of the game.

The pick play for the TD was especially egregious, but that gets no called all the time. Calls/no calls went both ways IMO, I think no matter who won the other team's fans would be harping on the refs. I remember thinking on one of the final KC drives that they only had to make one or two actual plays because they took penalty yards most of the way to the end zone lol

1 minute ago, Habbsawce said:

This team would have won a superbowl if they could tackle. Horrendous tackling game in and game out.

Andy Reid is a big softee, and your team will reflect your coaching.

Nobody seems to have fight in the 4th quarter besides Mahomes.

If we can find a strong defensive mind(ala jim johnson) maybe we can change that. But this late in the process? Doubtful. I dont even know whos left, and who knows if teams will grant permission for interviews

1 minute ago, Chiefer said:

If we can find a strong defensive mind(ala jim johnson) maybe we can change that. But this late in the process? Doubtful. I dont even know whos left, and who knows if teams will grant permission for interviews

At this point, it has to be done. You cannot go into next year with the same personnel and DC as the 31st ranked when you were an all time great offense. You did not make it to the superbowl with the league MVP and 3rd ranked ALL TIME offense. The reason was because of your defense. Heads have to roll. Yeah yeah, they scored 0 points in the first half, but they put up 31 at home and lost. Unacceptable.

34 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Ehh I saw plenty of fire.  Defensively definitely not,  but at the same time it’s pretty hard to show fire when your scheme is built around allowing dunk and dunk.

Jones getting hurt definitely didn’t help in OT, no adjustment was made when we lost his pressure(not that much pressure was being created on the short drops to begin with).  

I don’t put the lack of fire with the defense on Andy(and I’ve been critical of him in the past), we all know when things get tight Sutton is going to take the safe approach and the defense reflects that 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 10:20 PM, Edge said:

Ridiculous. A coin toss decides an entire season.

I dunno if i even want to watch the Super Bowl. That's a disgusting pairing.

Can we play an alternative Super Bowl against the Saints?

A coin toss didn't decide an entire season. The Chiefs had an entire 4 quarters and 3 3rd and 10s to decide the season. They didn't; there's no way you'd be saying this if the Chiefs won the toss.

Overall, great game and an instant classic. I know it stings a Chief's fan, but having Mahommes for the next 15 years is a decent silver lining, I'd say.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2019 at 7:48 PM, Chiefer said:

Better get used to it. Andy Reid is our coach

Reid isn't the issue. DC Sutton was the culprit, AGAIN.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001012628/article/chiefs-fire-defensive-coordinator-bob-sutton

Sunday's 37-31 overtime loss to Tom Brady and the Patriots was the final salvo for Sutton in K.C. The Chiefs allowed three straight touchdown drives to end the game, including giving up three 3rd-and-10 plays to Brady on the game-winning TD drive in overtime. Sutton's D allowed 524 total yards, 348 passing yards, 176 rushing yards, an outrageous 13 of 19 on 3rd downs, and generated zero sacks and just one QB hit in the AFC Championship loss at Arrowhead Stadium.

Edited by mayanfootball

On 1/21/2019 at 12:52 PM, jofos said:

You saw what you wanted to see on the replays because you are a fan. The officials looked at the plays for what they were. Had the Chiefs got the ball first and scored a TD would you want the overtime system changed? 

Yes the roughing the passer call was bad, but it was no worse than the lack of a pass interference call on the same play. The Chiefs were the second most flagged team in the NFL for PI yet they were called once of PI in the game, so who was favored? 

I know it sucks to come close and not win. This game didn't come down to rules that need to change or calls that were or were not made, it came down to stops. And in the end the Chiefs defense could not get a stop. 

The kickoff ball touch I thought there was just enough meh to not overturn the call, my wife didn't think he touched the ball, she did they eldemaon looks roided out though. Per NFL rules it should not have been over ruled, so the refs broke the NFL rules in Favor of you guessed it NE.

The roughing the passer is by no means in comparison to as bad of a call as the one you pointed out on the same play. And this one call defined who would win the game just like the Saints game, so its a big deal.

Yes KC has been flagged a lot but the biggest offenders were replaced later in the season and have been riding the bench.

Challenges, so we challenged a play on a catch that the ball clearly was not in possession and lost and they challenged our catch and it was a catch but over ruled.  Just saying when things go for review you expect it to be fair and its not, this is a growing concern for NFL fans.

But yes KC missed a lot of opportunities, they sucked in the first half of the game so its not 100% on the refs or anything like that... If you are going to beat NE you have dominate them in every aspect, there are no close games you destroy them or you don't because call it luck, bad calls, paid off refs, cheater that should of been banned from the NFL years ago you have to expect all this crap when playing them.  

• 2 weeks later...

Before this thread fades away, I just wanted to say the AFC Championship was one of the greatest football games I've ever seen. Kansas City challenged the Patriots like no one else in the playoffs did this year, and for the first time in a long time, the Chiefs looked like not just another playoff team but a legitimate threat. I was sure they would win, until the Patriots forced overtime with the memory of Super Bowl LI still fresh in everyone's minds, and that might have finished the Chiefs off mentally on top of the physical fatigue.

It was a tough way to end the 2018 season, but their future looks bright with Mahomes and Hill still on their rookie contracts. You guys should be very proud of your team.

• Like 3