Kyler Murray

LoganF89

7 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Sounds like a lot of this just went over his five foot nine inch head and will be hard for him to keep his head above water

watch him drop to 15 and we take Muggsy

If he drops to 15, we trade the pick to brother Jon and get two first in return .

So those are obviously troubling comments from Casserly. 

Here’s my thing, though. Let’s say all that is true, all the worst things you can say about him. Bad leader, doesn’t put in the work, doesn’t understand the game, no effort to learn it, too dumb to learn it, prefers cats to dogs, gives out vegetables on Halloween, etc. 

Then how did he outperform Baker Mayfield, one year later, in the same offense and with a weaker supporting cast? How did the offense score more points, despite doing it without Rodney Anderson and Mark Andrews (and Dimitri Flowers)? How did the team end up with the same record and the same season outcome, despite a much worse defense? Something tells me the kid isn’t quite as dumb and lazy as they’re making him out to be.

Is he really just that much more talented than Mayfield, to somehow be able to overcome his awful intangibles and match/exceed the performance of a #1 pick with what are now considered elite intangibles? And if so, isn’t that still worth drafting? A person can mature as they get older, you can teach a player schemes and good work habits. But you can’t teach someone to be so talented that they’re better than Baker Mayfield without even trying.

Anyway, this feels like something that may be partly true but also partly fed to Casserly by someone who is actually trying to draft Murray and wants him to fall. A gross exaggeration, I guess. No one performs at that level in college while being the dumbest, laziest guy ever in the process.

(NOTE: I loved Baker Mayfield and don’t particularly care for Murray, so don’t @ me about how he’ll never be Baker or anything like that. Just playing devil’s advocate, because the claims Casserly is making don’t really add up to me). 

Oh, I @ you, good sir! I @ you! :D:D:D

39 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Then how did he outperform Baker Mayfield, one year later, in the same offense and with a weaker supporting cast? How did the offense score more points, despite doing it without Rodney Anderson and Mark Andrews (and Dimitri Flowers)? How did the team end up with the same record and the same season outcome, despite a much worse defense? Something tells me the kid isn’t quite as dumb and lazy as they’re making him out to be.

Better overall athlete? Playing in a weaker overall Big 12 (that wasn't know for its defense to begin with) from the previous year?

Raw athletic ability can get you far in college. But you'll run into a brick wall in the pros.

40 minutes ago, e16bball said:

A person can mature as they get older, you can teach a player schemes and good work habits. But you can’t teach someone to be so talented that they’re better than Baker Mayfield without even trying.

On this, we disagree.

Part of the problem of being gifted is that you don't have to put in the work. It just comes naturally to you. Until it doesn't anymore. At that point, if you don't have those skills, it is really hard to get them on the fly when things are now going smoothly anymore.

43 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Anyway, this feels like something that may be partly true but also partly fed to Casserly by someone who is actually trying to draft Murray and wants him to fall.

Very possible. As has been discussed in other threads, the interviews are arguably the single most important thing that happens at the Combine (a close second is the medical evals). Unfortunately, that is the most opaque part of the process (ditto the medical evals, but that at least has some merit due to HIPAA). So this could be someone trying to make Arizona think twice from drafting him. Whether that's because they want him or they just don't want the Cardinals to take him (hi there NFC West rivals!) is all a guessing game.

P.S.

47 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Bad leader, doesn’t put in the work, doesn’t understand the game, no effort to learn it, too dumb to learn it, prefers cats to dogs, gives out vegetables on Halloween, etc. 

Oh no you didn't!

1 hour ago, Doc Draper said:

Image result for dogs are better than cats

Or, put another way: Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Huh ... is that why I'm a moderator? I was trained to cater to the whims of an unruly mob, and try (unsuccessfully) to correct their bad behavior?

Archived