Alliance of American Football

BobbyPhil1781

I didn't know where to post this since there is no real sub where I feel it's best fit. It certainly is "Entertainment" though so I feel it's applicable here. If an MOD suggests otherwise, please move it to the appropriate location.

That said; who's watching??

For those that are unaware, it is a 10 week season starting February 9th. There are 8 teams and a 4 team playoff will commence the season after. If this season is a success, keep in mind it will rival the renewed XFL which is poised to come back in 2020. We could have 4 football seasons when 2020 comes around. I don't think all will survive but this post isn't about my opinion, it's about information.

The league will have a lot of familiar faces backing it according to Wiki. Here are those names:

Executives

• Charlie Ebersol, co-founder and CEO
  • Bill Polian, co-founder and Head of Football
  • Troy Polamalu, Head of Player Relations
  • J.K. McKay, Head of Football Operations
  • Tom Veit, Head of Business Operations
  • Hines Ward, Player Relations Executive
  • Jared Allen, Player Relations Executive and investor
  • Justin Tuck, Member of Player Engagements Board Of Advisers

Board of Directors

• ****(Richard) Ebersol
  • Keith Rabois

The AAFL will have many different rules than what we're accustomed to as far as televised sports, not just football. Here are some highlights:

• The will be 0 kickoffs. Each team begins at their own 25 yard line. Instead of onside kicks (and the NFL, PLEASE adopt this after this disaster of onside kick recoveries) each team will have one play to get 12 yards on their own 35 yard line. If it is not achieved, the ball goes to the other team. 
  • Telecasts will feature no television timeouts and 60 percent fewer commercials, with the league aiming for an approximate real-time game length of 150 minutes, down from just over 180 in the NFL.
  • All teams must attempt two-point conversions after each touchdown; there will be no extra point kicks.
  • 30 second play clock.
  • Same challenge rules.
  • There will be fantasy and lines for those who like to partake in certain activities.

There are 8 teams and someone on Reddit already copied this info, so I feel best to not waste my keystrokes and instead, copy and paste it here:

Orlando Apollos

Orlando was the first team announced by the league, will be coached by Steve Spurrier and will play out of UCF's Spectrum Stadium. Players CFB fans may be familiar with include QBs Austin Appleby from Purdue/Florida, Steven Morris from Miami, and Garrett Gilbert from Texas/SMU, FSU's Lamarcus Brutus and Marquez White, and UF's Will Hill, Cody Riggs, Leon Orr, and Mark Herndon.

Atlanta Legends

Atlanta's Head Coach was going to be Brad Childress, but since he quit its Kevin Coyle, a former DB coach for the Bengals. Their OC is is Michael Vick. They're going to play their games in Georgia State Stadium, and familiar players include Michigan's Denard Robinson, UGA's Aaron Murray, and Georgia Tech's Stephen Hill.

Birmingham Iron

Birmingham will play their games at Legion Field and will be coached by Tim Lewis. Players CFB fans may recognize are Auburn's Chris Davis, Alabama's Trent Richardson and Blake Sims, and kicker Nick Novak.

Memphis Express

Memphis will play at the Liberty Bowl and will be coached by Mike Singletary. Notable players include QB Zach Mettenberger, RB Kenny Hilliard, and P Brad Wing out of LSU, and QB Christian Hackenberg out of Penn State

San Antonio Commanders

The Commanders are going to be coached by Mike Riley of recent Nebraska fame and will play at the Alamodome. Notable players include QB Marquise Williams out of UNC, Greg Ward Jr out of Houston and Speedy Noil out of Texas A&M

Arizona Hotshots

Arizona will play at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe and will be coached by Rick Neuheisel. Hugh Freeze signed on to be the OC before Liberty hired him away. Players include OU's Trevor Knight, Oregon's Josh Huff, and UCLA's Kenneth Walker III.

Salt Lake Stallions

The league's only team north of the 35th parallel, Salt Lake will play at Utah's Rice-Eccles Stadium, and will be coached by former NFL Head Coach Dennis Erickson. Notable players include QB Austin Allen out of Arkansas, RB Matt Asiata out of Utah via the Minnesota Vikings, and Nebraska's Kenny Bell.

San Diego Fleet

San Diego will play at SDCCU stadium, and will be coached by Mike Martz, the OC for the St Louis Rams’ 1999 Super Bowl run. Notable players include NFL journeyman QB Josh Johnson (Looks like hes off the roster! ASU's Mike Bercovici is the next QB up!) RB Bishop Sankey, and LSU’s Ron Brooks.

So there you have it.

Who will be watching? It is a CBS broadcast.

32 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I thought it was pretty bad that they had to highlight a punter lol

Overall there is some decent talent in there. 

How you draw LSU fans. Since we havent had an offense in over a decade.

1st college player to draw the celebration taunting penalty once made a rule was our punter. Brad Wing.

Brad_Wing_LSU_2011_Fake_Punt_Steelers.jp

3 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

The will be 0 kickoffs. Each team begins at their own 25 yard line. Instead of onside kicks (and the NFL, PLEASE adopt this after this disaster of onside kick recoveries) each team will have one play to get 12 yards on their own 35 yard line. If it is not achieved, the ball goes to the other team. 

so there are going to be a lot of short fields

Archived