Alliance of American Football

BobbyPhil1781

3 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

How you draw LSU fans. Since we havent had an offense in over a decade.

1st college player to draw the celebration taunting penalty once made a rule was our punter. Brad Wing.

Brad_Wing_LSU_2011_Fake_Punt_Steelers.jp

LOL Amazing!! And y'all had a decent offense this year. Give Joe another year and let's see what he can do. You'll be alright!

2 hours ago, Lions017 said:

How exactly does this work with teams being affiliated with the NFL and CFL? I see that the Lions are connected to the Fleet, but so are three other NFL teams. 

I'm not sure of the answer and would be lying if I said I'd looked into it. If you find out something, let us know b/c I'm genuinely interested in this league. The NFL needs a "minor league" system and who knows, maybe this will revive some careers ala Rod Smart and Tommy Maddux. Plus it fills in the terrible gap left behind the Super Bowl until baseball starts.

1 hour ago, Malfatron said:

so there are going to be a lot of short fields

Depending on how often people go for "onside kicks", potentially. Again though, I really hope the NFL adopts it b/c they're absolutely useless w/ today's rules and it's, IMO, an essential part of the game. They really need to change it next year.

I'll watch and probably end up going to a Salt Lake Stallions game or two. Maybe take a trip to Sam Boyd in Vegas for fun if they make the championship game.

I do like the onside rule & 30 second play clock, less time for a team to milk the clock at the end of a game.  

13 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Depending on how often people go for "onside kicks", potentially. Again though, I really hope the NFL adopts it b/c they're absolutely useless w/ today's rules and it's, IMO, an essential part of the game. They really need to change it next year.

ok, so there are kickoffs, really.

they are just called punts

It will be interesting to watch especially once the rosters fill out.  They have known players on them for course and a few former college super stars, I assume Johnny Manziel will be on a roster as well.  Would be curious how many current NFL practice squad guys would go down.  Really they need it like the NFL did in NFL Europe where NFL teams had affiliate guys go play and develop there, that is a huge need I think.

33 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

It will be interesting to watch especially once the rosters fill out.  They have known players on them for course and a few former college super stars, I assume Johnny Manziel will be on a roster as well.  Would be curious how many current NFL practice squad guys would go down.  Really they need it like the NFL did in NFL Europe where NFL teams had affiliate guys go play and develop there, that is a huge need I think.

Rosters are out/draft has already happened. Josh Johnson actually was drafted #1 by San Diego before the Redskins picked him up. 

1 hour ago, UtahUtesFan said:

Rosters are out/draft has already happened. Josh Johnson actually was drafted #1 by San Diego before the Redskins picked him up. 

I was curious if free agency would be a thing here also. Like Ozzy stated, Manziel would be a huge cash grab for this league. I'm sure he'd alone would be more viewers and put a few extra seats in the stands. I like the idea of having team affiliates so PS guys could move down and get some live reps in and teams could call them up at any time. Obviously w/ only 10 teams that would need some work due to the large disparity compared to the NFL but I'm sure they could figure something out.

8 hours ago, UtahUtesFan said:

Oh ok, I did not know they did a draft.  Here are a few other names that stood out to me on some of the rosters.  Nothing great but a few guys I am glad to see get a chance, many are either UDFA guys or players who were cut after a little bit of time in the league.  Could be a great developmental system for the NFL if it works out correctly, not clue why they are even doing the XFL BS, that is ridiculous because obviously this league is the real league based on the management of it.  Sure the XFL is going to try to be more legit football but that will be hard with this league, who knows.  At least gives guys a little bit of a job to play football, still no clue how they will pay the bills because I doubt a ton of people go to the games, maybe it is a TV deal where they think they will get some money from it.

Arizona:
Rahim Moore
Scooby Wright
Will Sutton
Ondre Pipkins
Connor Hamlett
John Crockett
TJ Barnes

Atlanta:
Denard Robinson
Marcus Oliver
Brandon Watts
Shaq Wiggins
PJ Davis
Vontae Diggs
Stephen Hill

Birmingham:
Amba Etta-Tawo 
Josh Frazier
Brandon Greene
JC Hassenauer
Tyler Howell
Ty Issac
Trent Richardson
Jamal Robinson
Jack Tocho
Blake Sims

Memphis:
Jonathan Cook
Jeremy Curter
Colton Jumper
EJ Levenberry
Toby Weathersby
Zach Mettenberger
Damore'ea Stringfellow
Christian Hackenberg

Orlando:
Will Hill
Tre Jackson
D'Ernest Johnson
Earl Okine
Giorgio Newberry
Brandon Washington
Cody Riggs
D'Joun Smith
Azeem Victor

Salt Lake:
Branden Oliver
Austin Allen
Matt Asiata
BJ Daniels
Darius Hamilton
Demetrius Monday
Trevor Reilly

San Antonio:
Deion Barnes
Arthur Brown
Kurtis Drummond
David Cobb
Joel Lanning
Jaryd Jones-Smith
Speedy Noil
Orion Stewart
Greg Ward

San Diego:
Marcus Baugh
Travis Feeney
Bishop Sankey
Shay Fields
Nelson Spruce
AJ Tarpley

Most of the teams are quite regional with many players from the same area or college but I am sure that is a good thing.  

• 2 weeks later...

Would be nice to have a section or subsection for the AAF. Watching yesterday's official launch announcement, I think it has potential. A real football mind behind the company (Bill Polian), former NFL coaches leading the teams (if the website is to be believed) ... now if they can just make enough money to stay in business, they'll have something.

Don't like the elimination of kickoffs. How can you call it football if the game doesn't start with someone's foot kicking the ball? ¬¬ I do like that they're speeding up the game and shortening and simplifying the review process. No TV timeouts? 60% fewer commercials? Affordable ticket prices? And they'll be on an actual broadcast network I can watch instead of some goofy digital platform I don't have access too? THANK YOU LORD. Couldn't care less about fantasy football or "apps," but they have that stuff too. I will gladly check out the inaugural game/s on February 9th.

Since none of the eight teams is anywhere near Minnesota, I will root for the one with my favorite uniforms: the Salt Lake Stallions. For anyone who missed it and is interested, here is the launch program from AAF's official Youtube channel.

They have just signed broadcast deals with TNT and the NFL Network. This is in addition to CBS who will air the opening game and the championship game on CBS with also one game per week live on CBS Sports Network.

Via Ourand:

The Turner deal will see TNT televise one regular season and one playoff game each season. This season, TNT will carry its game (Salt Lake Stallions-Birmingham Iron) on Feb. 16 as a lead-in to NBA All-Star Saturday Night. 

Turner’s B/R Live will carry a weekly game, starting Feb. 23 with the Arizona Hotshots-Stallions. AAF co-Founder & CEO Charlie Ebersol said, “We wanted two things. We wanted reach, which we have with TNT. And we wanted to look to the future of media, which we got with B/R Live.” The NFL Network deal is expected to be announced separately from the Turner one. As part of its deal, NFL Network committed to carrying two games per week, sources said.

Archived