Prospect Meetings, Visits, and workouts

KingTitan

2 hours ago, 615finest said:

Please no to Ferrell!! I’d be okay with Brown just because we definetly don’t have that kind of speed on offense. Dodd has scarred me for life with Clemson DEs.

Program doesn't mean anything most of the time.  Dodd was a bad pick because he was drafted so highly based on measurables and a single great game in the national championship.  Ferrell has been a great player for years, and doesn't seem to have the same attitude problems that Dodd had either; Ferrell is a team player and seemingly a hard worker.  I was mad at the Dodd pick, and wasn't shocked he busted (he was also a very poor fit), but I'd be happy with Ferrell.  He's not my first choice in the first round, at all, but I don't think the players I really want will make it to 19.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Program doesn't mean anything most of the time.  Dodd was a bad pick because he was drafted so highly based on measurables and a single great game in the national championship.  Ferrell has been a great player for years, and doesn't seem to have the same attitude problems that Dodd had either; Ferrell is a team player and seemingly a hard worker.  I was mad at the Dodd pick, and wasn't shocked he busted (he was also a very poor fit), but I'd be happy with Ferrell.  He's not my first choice in the first round, at all, but I don't think the players I really want will make it to 19.

Yea Dodd was a bad pick. I just don’t think Ferrell is an OLB. I just didn’t really like his movement when he was doing the dropback drills at the combine but I’ll have to look at him more. Haven’t done that much research on him.

31 minutes ago, 615finest said:

Yea Dodd was a bad pick. I just don’t think Ferrell is an OLB. I just didn’t really like his movement when he was doing the dropback drills at the combine but I’ll have to look at him more. Haven’t done that much research on him.

And you're right, he's not a great natural fit there, but he is a better one than Dodd, and realistically, the base defense doesn't matter.  Special packages make up a majority of the defensive snaps, and I trust Pees to be able to utilize a pretty standard DE effectively.  I like Ferrell (and this is why I compare him to Morgan) because he looks stouter against the run than a lot of the other prospects in this class, and more than our current roster.  Right now, the best edge guys we have are likely Wake (who is probably limited to being a situational pass rusher) and Landry (who is almost that himself).  I see Ferrell as a guy that looks like he can come in and get to the 7-10 sack range right off the bat while also being really good against the run.

He's made, pretty consistently, a lot of plays behind the line.  He's a good all-around end.  He'll probably play outside on first downs and when they run the ball, and may scoot inside a bit on passing downs.

But I also think he can play OLB.  He's not slow on tape, and even though he didn't run the 40, his 3 cone was 7.26 and his shuttle was 4.4.  For comparison, Josh Allen's was 7.15 and 4.23.  That's not a huge difference, so dude can move around, even though it's not his best feature.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I haven't seen him projected anywhere, so I'm not sure where the Titans would have to spend a pick to get him.  With the Chargers actually burning a 30 visit on him, you have to assume he won't make it to UDFA.

I'm hoping he goes undrafted, since you'd have to think he would try to make it to the Titans and would be a priority UDFA.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:50 PM, ragevsuall17 said:

I've actually been thinking this too lately. I thought TE was about as logical as ILB or LT... But it could happen if they see the right fit. We thought Jonnu was progressing, but honestly, he still hasn't shown much... Delanie is in the twilight of his career, and even though we hope he still has a couple years at near prime level, we dont know what effect the injury really has on him going forward at age 35+. I really like Pruitt... and Firkser too... It seems like a deep group... But having a steady stream of options for Mariota running in the middle of the field could be what Vrabel and Smith have in mind. His much is Hockenson worth to Smith's style of offense? Could be extremely valuable 

We'll see I guess. 

I still hope/think we target DL... Just by looking at the roster... What we did in the offseason... Looks like the obviously biggest need... for both a starter and depth in general. 

Robinson has shown he'll do what it takes to get his player... Traded down then up in '16 and got Conklin... Stayed put at 5 in' 17 and took Davis... Traded up for Evans and Landry in '18. 

I hope he's targeting Oliver... But it may cost too much to get high enough to take him. I still really like Wilkins, but we may have to trade up a couple to get him as well (nowhere near as much as it would cost to get into Oliver range). Or is it Tillery, who he could get by staying put at 19... And possibly lower after trading down a few spots. Simmons would have been great too, but you just can't take a known red shirt with your 1st rounder. 

yeah I feel you on all that. I think dline has a great chance at being the pick. I've heard that Simmons could be back for roughly 7-9 games this year. that was on Mel and McShay's podcast I believe...yeah it was actually... does that change the thinking if you could get a top 5 talent guy and NOT have to redshirt him? Potentially have him for a playoff push? we shall see

Edited by Airness McNairness

12 hours ago, Airness McNairness said:

does that change the thinking if you could get a top 5 talent guy and NOT have to redshirt him? Potentially have him for a playoff push? we shall see

It absolutely does, especially if Sweat, Burns, Ferrell, Oliver, Wilkins, and Gary are all off the board.  I know the Titans were extremely high on Simmons pre-injury.

• Like 1

I honestly wouldn’t be too mad if we took Simmons in the first, ofcourse I’d like like us to trade back and get him but he’s top 10-15 pick before the injury. It’s not like our Dline is truly terrible so we could wait a few weeks before getting him back.. Only question would be how long would it take for him to fully trust his knee again and if he’d still be explosive.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 615finest said:

I honestly wouldn’t be too mad if we took Simmons in the first, ofcourse I’d like like us to trade back and get him but he’s top 10-15 pick before the injury. It’s not like our Dline is truly terrible so we could wait a few weeks before getting him back.. Only question would be how long would it take for him to fully trust his knee again and if he’d still be explosive.

You’re going to have wait much longer than that....

On 4/17/2019 at 12:22 PM, 615finest said:

Would we use Joe Jackson at DE or OLB? Don’t really see him as an OLB tho

Too small for DE but would be way out of position as a 3-4 OLB. Has the frame to add weight but he’d have a ways to go to be an interior guy.  Only really has one pass-rush move with the bullrush. Not going to lie, I’ve been wanting a Miami player since my man C-Mac was released.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

7 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Too small for DE but would be way out of position as a 3-4 OLB. Has the frame to add weight but he’d have a ways to go to be an interior guy.  Only really has one pass-rush move with the bulrush. Not going to lie, I’ve been wanting a Miami player since my man C-Mac was released.

Thought C-Mac was going to be the next great Titan LB. Couldn’t stay healthy tho 😩