2019 free agency targets

AZBearsFan

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

In my scenario the two guys we add replace Mizzell and Cunningham. Nobody is being given anyone’s role it’s creating competition. Mizzell and Cunningham and Ryan Nall were never pushing Howard but after this year he needs to earn his spotlight reps IMO. If Howard shows worthy then he keeps his role. He’s a UFA either way after 2019 so bringing in other backs has to be expected from eveyone’s perspective. I don’t think guys would look at that unfavorably in the locker room at all. Guys want to win, and if that means competition for a guy who underachieved last year then that’s the NFL. 

Besides, how much do you really think we can get for a 2-down back set to come out of contract with below average speed? Now, how many teams are looking for one of those guys to feature?  We aren’t getting anything more than a conditional pick from anyone who isn’t looking to feature him, which likely means extending him, and that’s not likely at all with him coming off the worst season of his career and in a 2-year down trend after his strong rookie showing. And anyone looking for a power back compliment to their incumbent can sign Frank Gore or CJ Anderson or Bilal Powell or Marshawn Lynch or Doug Martin for a pretty small deal and expect the same production and just keep their pick anyway. 

If we have no intention of using him or signing him long term, then a 7th is something.

Something is always better than nothing.

14 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If we have no intention of using him or signing him long term, then a 7th is something.

Something is always better than nothing.

That’s what I was just saying though - why would a team give even that for Howard right now when comparable talents are available for minimum FA contracts, he’s regressed strongly two years in a row now and he is so blatantly one-dimensional? He was a sub-replacement level player in 2018. Among guys with 100+ carries he was 39th in YPC. That’s behind Latavius Murray and Alfred Morris (both FA by the way), and tied with Peyton Barber. He was 14th in yards despite being 6th in carries. If you’re the GM on the other side, what justifies to give up anything for that guy? 

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

That’s what I was just saying though - why would a team give even that for Howard right now when comparable talents are available for minimum FA contracts, he’s regressed strongly two years in a row now and he is so blatantly one-dimensional? He was a sub-replacement level player in 2018. Among guys with 100+ carries he was 39th in YPC. That’s behind Latavius Murray and Alfred Morris (both FA by the way), and tied with Peyton Barber. He was 14th in yards despite being 6th in carries. If you’re the GM on the other side, what justifies to give up anything for that guy? 

Maybe Gruden will do something stupid again xD

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think his entire body of work will be taken into account. He clearly is not a good scheme fit and I am sure someone out there will see him as a better fit with what they do.

Or the 700k price tag will be enticing.

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think his entire body of work will be taken into account. He clearly is not a good scheme fit and I am sure someone out there will see him as a better fit with what they do.

Or the 700k price tag will be enticing.

The price tag is largely irrelevant when you can probably get a very comparable player in FA for about $300k more without giving up a pick at all. Taking into account his whole career IMO makes him less attractive in a trade, not more. 

2016 - really good

2017 - average 

2018 - below average 

I like Jordan Howard -- a lot -- but my good God I can't tell you how many times I commented how slow he looked.

I love his vision, his power, but he simply is not a fit for this offense unless Nagy wants to go exclusively to a zone blocking scheme.

If we want Mitch to succeed, and for this offense to take the next step, we NEED a threat in the running game. I'm talking an all-purpose back who can carry the rock 20-25 times a game AND be a threat in the passing game as well.

I'm all in on Hunt and I'll be extremely disappointed if he's not a Chicago Bear next season.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Bears 2017 FA class may be worst I have ever seen.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/chicago-bears-free-agency-2017-grading-each-signing-032817

Poor Fox. He really didnt get much ammo.  

Meh, he didn't need ammo, by the time he got to Chicago he was already shooting blanks. lol

Fox had all but called it in already anyway, he still got paid for doing a terrible job. I think if we had a different coach like Nagy then there would have been significant;y more interest from FAs as well, everyone knew he was a lame duck who had a year, maybe two before getting booted, so outside of money there wasn't a lot of attraction for FAs to come here.

8 hours ago, G08 said:

I like Jordan Howard -- a lot -- but my good God I can't tell you how many times I commented how slow he looked.

I love his vision, his power, but he simply is not a fit for this offense unless Nagy wants to go exclusively to a zone blocking scheme.

If we want Mitch to succeed, and for this offense to take the next step, we NEED a threat in the running game. I'm talking an all-purpose back who can carry the rock 20-25 times a game AND be a threat in the passing game as well.

I'm all in on Hunt and I'll be extremely disappointed if he's not a Chicago Bear next season.

Because I agree with this in general, (other than changing the OL--Heistand is doing amazing job) especially Hunt and because I have not watched too much college ball this season.

What are some good late round candidates at RB who you guys think could make an instant impact in both the running game and passing?

Sorry if this has this has already been talked about here. I'm just not going to go through 8 pages to find it.

Donald Penn is probably going to be cut by the Raiders.

I think he would be an ideal option as a 1 year deal. He is 36, but he is still playing well and has a ton of experience at RT and LT. He could come in and compete with Coward at RT and be the best swing OT the Bears have ever had.

1 year 3-4 million would be worth the insurance.

Archived