Fureys49ers Mock Draft (2 Rounds) 1/15

Fureys49ers

19 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

- Bills add to OL through FA

Most likely scenario. Very good.

9)  Bills - Ed Oliver, DT

As long as his love for the game is genuine and he isn't looking for a pay day this should be a steal.

40)  Bills - Kelvin Harmon, WR

Excellent choice. Would be a welcomed addition to Zay,  Foster and hopefully a veteran. 

21 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I would be very surprised if Vikings don't draft an OL in first round

I just didn't see the value in round 1 for them there though. Little and Taylor offer help at OT but how soon? I think both need a little work before they are making a positive impact there. To my understanding it was the Vikings IOL that was their Achilles heel and I don't see anyone there of value for that need. Losing Barr creates an open hole next to Kendrick's for the LB core as I don't think Gideon or whoever else whos been playing there on their roster now is a very big difference maker, merely serviceable. Barr may not have even been that big of a difference maker and for a team who prides themselves on their defense which regressed this last year a young, cheap option who can perform many things Barr did just as well, maybe better, it made sense to me. A lot of money is tied into that defense already, hard to imagine they pass up cheap talent to keep their defense formidable and instead reach for an OL. Just my thought process behind it, admittedly don't know the situation as well as most Viking fans I'm sure.

1) i dont think the eagles will let foles walk for nothing. they probably tag and trade him.

2) i dont see DE as a real big need for the jags. all we could use a guy that can play some snaps but hes not gonna be needed to play alot.  in our scheme we have Campbell playing de opposite of Ngakoue.  im sure ferrell is a good player but i could see us going more towards a QB like Murray IMO even tho hes short and skinny tho i wouldnt be shocked if we picked Jones from duke.

3) as much as lock gets hated on hes got good tools but if we are doing the draft and i saw murray still there id pick murray over him. 

so my idealistic draft is looking like

Kyler Murray and then TJ Hockensen because we need a good starting TE.  while picking Hockenson over fant might be a lil weird i feel hockensens blocking ability paired with his catching ability and size would help more then fant. 

23 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

1) i dont think the eagles will let foles walk for nothing. they probably tag and trade him.

2) i dont see DE as a real big need for the jags. all we could use a guy that can play some snaps but hes not gonna be needed to play alot.  in our scheme we have Campbell playing de opposite of Ngakoue.  im sure ferrell is a good player but i could see us going more towards a QB like Murray IMO even tho hes short and skinny tho i wouldnt be shocked if we picked Jones from duke.

3) as much as lock gets hated on hes got good tools but if we are doing the draft and i saw murray still there id pick murray over him. 

so my idealistic draft is looking like

Kyler Murray and then TJ Hockensen because we need a good starting TE.  while picking Hockenson over fant might be a lil weird i feel hockensens blocking ability paired with his catching ability and size would help more then fant. 

Interesting you prefer Murray, I just didn't know where to put him and still think teams will be wary on him come draft day with his baseball career looming. As far as the Ferrell going to you guys my thinking was that behind Ngakoue and Campbell, who will be 33 years old next year, there's little to talk about in regards to pass rushing. Likely that Jackson is cut this year to save money and that's fine with Bryan as depth there but I think as Campbell gets older his transition may move him inside and a replacement will be needed. Ferrell, to me, seems like the perfect replacement as Campbell's play starts decline and would add another threat on obvious passing downs with Ngakoue, Campbell and Ferrell. I understand completely the desire for Hockenson being the more complete TE but this class in my mind is deep at TE and a such as Irv Smith or Kaden Smith can be had in the 3rd round and offer a similar skill set, had I done a round 3 that would have likely been your choice. I believe Foles is on a team option as well for next year which if that is the case, they are likely to pick it up then deal him, you are correct. Jaguars I believe have an extra 3rd this year and another conditional pick next year should suffice I would think.

3 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Interesting you prefer Murray, I just didn't know where to put him and still think teams will be wary on him come draft day with his baseball career looming. As far as the Ferrell going to you guys my thinking was that behind Ngakoue and Campbell, who will be 33 years old next year, there's little to talk about in regards to pass rushing. Likely that Jackson is cut this year to save money and that's fine with Bryan as depth there but I think as Campbell gets older his transition may move him inside and a replacement will be needed. Ferrell, to me, seems like the perfect replacement as Campbell's play starts decline and would add another threat on obvious passing downs with Ngakoue, Campbell and Ferrell. I understand completely the desire for Hockenson being the more complete TE but this class in my mind is deep at TE and a such as Irv Smith or Kaden Smith can be had in the 3rd round and offer a similar skill set, had I done a round 3 that would have likely been your choice. I believe Foles is on a team option as well for next year which if that is the case, they are likely to pick it up then deal him, you are correct. Jaguars I believe have an extra 3rd this year and another conditional pick next year should suffice I would think.

u can find tour bigger ends pretty much anywhere.  hell we found Ngakoue in round 3.    i know that while on paper it looks like we will need a replacement for campbell but lets not forget we also still have Smoot who was a 3rd rounder a couple of seasons ago behind campbell.  if we need anything on the DL IMO its a true Backup Edge guy as i feel McCray isnt the best option as a 2nd true edge rusher.

we need to be using our current capital to bring our offense back to life.   we have 3 guys on offense that could be considered Playmakers.  Leonard Fournette(if he stays healthy and the oline plays good maybe he turns it above 4ypc), Marquise lee(missed all of last year and was our projected number 1 wr),  Dede Westbrook(started slow but turned it up as the season went along).

DE or DT could be BPA  this year but i believe coughlin is more of a needs guy.  

right now i would say QB is need number 1. i dont care that much about his size concerns with murray because of the rule changes and while their is the potential for more batted balls we had a 6 foot 5 qb who always had multiple batted balls everygame it seemed. 

20 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

u can find tour bigger ends pretty much anywhere.  hell we found Ngakoue in round 3.    i know that while on paper it looks like we will need a replacement for campbell but lets not forget we also still have Smoot who was a 3rd rounder a couple of seasons ago behind campbell.  if we need anything on the DL IMO its a true Backup Edge guy as i feel McCray isnt the best option as a 2nd true edge rusher.

we need to be using our current capital to bring our offense back to life.   we have 3 guys on offense that could be considered Playmakers.  Leonard Fournette(if he stays healthy and the oline plays good maybe he turns it above 4ypc), Marquise lee(missed all of last year and was our projected number 1 wr),  Dede Westbrook(started slow but turned it up as the season went along).

DE or DT could be BPA  this year but i believe coughlin is more of a needs guy.  

right now i would say QB is need number 1. i dont care that much about his size concerns with murray because of the rule changes and while their is the potential for more batted balls we had a 6 foot 5 qb who always had multiple batted balls everygame it seemed. 

I don't quite see Ferrell as a big end. While he is bigger than your typical "pass rushing" focused DE he can still get after the QB and also hold up against the run and that may be where our opinions differ. Smoot I never really was a fan of when he came out and up to this point in his career I don't think has logged a sack or even played much, not sure if that was do to injury or what. The Jags have talent in the secondary obviously but there were times throughout the year last year where Bouye and even Ramsey looked a little average but neither is going anywhere so improve the pass rush and help those guys on the back end out. Much like the situation in Minnesota, when your team has a strength, keep it that way. Ravens have shown that over the years to be a successful strategy.

33 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I don't quite see Ferrell as a big end. While he is bigger than your typical "pass rushing" focused DE he can still get after the QB and also hold up against the run and that may be where our opinions differ. Smoot I never really was a fan of when he came out and up to this point in his career I don't think has logged a sack or even played much, not sure if that was do to injury or what. The Jags have talent in the secondary obviously but there were times throughout the year last year where Bouye and even Ramsey looked a little average but neither is going anywhere so improve the pass rush and help those guys on the back end out. Much like the situation in Minnesota, when your team has a strength, keep it that way. Ravens have shown that over the years to be a successful strategy.

he played quite a bit rookie year but while he isnt much of a pass rusher he plays the run well.  as a 49ers im sure youve seen how the big end is.  its a run first defending position and if a guy can give u pass rush there its just a bonus.  last year smoot was inactive for the most part because we have alot of solid DL(im talking we have 4 good DTs, and after fowler was traded  i believe he was made active) on the roster and the jags tried out their 1st round pick out at DE behind campbell only to see Bryan struggle massively at the spot so eventually after the fowler trade they made him active. 

if im picking a DE in round 1 im looking more at Jalachi Polite and Brian Burns both of whom have really good first steps and bend.  we dont need to really pick a DL this year.  we need a QB and we also could use another OL along with a TE and WR. i would say RB but having hired Robiskie who hasnt coached the RB position in a while(im talking the 80s) says fournette isnt going anywhere. 

there is no Point in keeping a a defense strong if your offense cant put up a measley 21 points a game.   look at the final 4 teams in the playoff. is it just a coincidence all 4 of those teams are the top 4 in scoring?

37 minutes ago, Danger said:

Poor draft for the Eagles. We need to invest heavily into our Offensive and Defensive Line. 

My thinking is Graham is resigned while Long leaves but with Graham, Bennett, Sweat and Barnett coming back from injury DE is solid. At DT with Cox and Jernigan there all that's needed is some depth regardless if Ngata comes back. At OT I see a need behind Peters with his age and recent injury history but a developmental type mid round pick made sense in my mind, not a 1st or 2nd round pick where a play maker could be added to help out Wentz who in my thinking could use a dependable RB other than Sproles, a deep ball threat in Campbell since Torrey Smith and Mike Wallace have bombed in Philly and Thornhill helps with a secondary that's still trying to find its bearings despite all the youth and attention there. My process behind the picks, where do you see the bigger needs specifically along the OL and DL and who do you feel fits your team at your spots?

Just now, Fureys49ers said:

My thinking is Graham is resigned while Long leaves but with Graham, Bennett, Sweat and Barnett coming back from injury DE is solid. At DT with Cox and Jernigan there all that's needed is some depth regardless if Ngata comes back. At OT I see a need behind Peters with his age and recent injury history but a developmental type mid round pick made sense in my mind, not a 1st or 2nd round pick where a play maker could be added to help out Wentz who in my thinking could use a dependable RB other than Sproles, a deep ball threat in Campbell since Torrey Smith and Mike Wallace have bombed in Philly and Thornhill helps with a secondary that's still trying to find its bearings despite all the youth and attention there. My process behind the picks, where do you see the bigger needs specifically along the OL and DL and who do you feel fits your team at your spots?

It's very unlikely that Graham is resigned. At his age, and what his dip in production this season leads me to believe is he's going to want far too much money for what we find him to be worth at this point in his career, especially given our cap situation. Long is more likely to stay. Jernigan is a shell of his former self due to the off season injury we suffered. Ngata needs to retire. We don't need playmakers to help Wentz. Wentz can makes plays with what we have. Two hugely threatening TEs, Alshon Jeffery, and Nelson Agholor. The only thing I'd say to add is a mid round WR speed threat. Just about any RB is interchangeable in our system. Unless they're like Barkley/Zeke/Gurley tier, which you ain't getting where we are.

Eagles will likely role with Clement/Smallwood/Josh Adams and a late round pick at Runningback next season, and that's completely ok. 

Another thing to note is 1. Brandon Brooks very well may miss the entire season and 2. There have been rumors of Jason Kelce retiring. Even if he doesn't this season, it's probably sooner than we'd originally have expected.

I can't say who'd we rather take instead, but a runningback from a school that's notorious for runningbacks busting, and who wasn't even the first option on his team most of the season, is not a good selection. 

6 minutes ago, Danger said:

It's very unlikely that Graham is resigned. At his age, and what his dip in production this season leads me to believe is he's going to want far too much money for what we find him to be worth at this point in his career, especially given our cap situation. Long is more likely to stay. Jernigan is a shell of his former self due to the off season injury we suffered. Ngata needs to retire. We don't need playmakers to help Wentz. Wentz can makes plays with what we have. Two hugely threatening TEs, Alshon Jeffery, and Nelson Agholor. The only thing I'd say to add is a mid round WR speed threat. Just about any RB is interchangeable in our system. Unless they're like Barkley/Zeke/Gurley tier, which you ain't getting where we are.

Eagles will likely role with Clement/Smallwood/Josh Adams and a late round pick at Runningback next season, and that's completely ok. 

Another thing to note is 1. Brandon Brooks very well may miss the entire season and 2. There have been rumors of Jason Kelce retiring. Even if he doesn't this season, it's probably sooner than we'd originally have expected.

I can't say who'd we rather take instead, but a runningback from a school that's notorious for runningbacks busting, and who wasn't even the first option on his team most of the season, is not a good selection. 

Was unaware of Kelce retiring soon, Graham's falling off of production and Jerningan's injury troubles. Forgot about Brooks' injury so that makes a little more sense as far as need along the IOL goes. I'll keep that in mind for the next one later on into the process. My thinking along the lines of Josh Jacobs is much different than yours as I see him as a stud once given the starting nod at RB in the NFL and will make some team extremely happy he flew under the radar so to speak. Agree about the weapons at TE and Jeffery however just don't see Agohlor as a weapon by himself, more of a result of the weapons around him but that's just me. As I said though I have noted what ya told me, thanks for the feedback.

Archived