Fureys49ers Mock Draft (2 Rounds) 1/15

Fureys49ers

23 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

I just didn't see the value in round 1 for them there though. Little and Taylor offer help at OT but how soon? I think both need a little work before they are making a positive impact there. To my understanding it was the Vikings IOL that was their Achilles heel and I don't see anyone there of value for that need.

Do you see either Little or Taylor being effective at OG, or would their talent be wasted on the interior? Reiff, while suitable is getting older and is fairly expensive drafting an OT to play OG and then kick out to LT when Reiff leaves is a possibility, even though I hate moving lineman around. You are correct the weakness is IOL.

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

Do you see either Little or Taylor being effective at OG, or would their talent be wasted on the interior? Reiff, while suitable is getting older and is fairly expensive drafting an OT to play OG and then kick out to LT when Reiff leaves is a possibility, even though I hate moving lineman around. You are correct the weakness is IOL.

I'm not a fan of moving OL around either unless its right or left side at OG and OT and even that has its issues when talking about OTs. Especially for young OL who are still developing and refining technique to have them halt progress at one position to learn another to try and throw them back at a different position after a couple years of playing "out of position" seems like unnecessary strain and stress asked of those players. While I'm not sure I'd use the word "talents wasted" at OG for Little and Taylor, in my mind they are OTs who need some refinement and technique work, let them learn and develop there without complicating the matter. Address your IOL problems with IOL and be done with it, improving there may actually help out both Reiff and O'Neil.

Just now, Fureys49ers said:

Address your IOL problems with IOL and be done with it, improving there may actually help out both Reiff and O'Neil.

I agree. O'Neill was a very pleasant surprise in terms of how well he played and how quickly it happened, I don't think he allowed a sack all year. I see him as a cornerstone piece on the OL going forward. Would be great to draft a developmental LT to sit behind Reiff in 2019 and possibly compete to start in 2020.

Just now, VikeManDan said:

I agree. O'Neill was a very pleasant surprise in terms of how well he played and how quickly it happened, I don't think he allowed a sack all year. I see him as a cornerstone piece on the OL going forward. Would be great to draft a developmental LT to sit behind Reiff in 2019 and possibly compete to start in 2020.

That's what I thought I read about O'Neil so it sounds like he may be able to even make the move to LT if needed but again now we are talking about moving guys when they are already successful at a spot. A developmental OT behind those two I could definitely see along with another IOL in the draft and would probably have been the case if I continued with more rounds. Outside of replacing possibly Barr and Richardson and improving the OL I don't see the Vikings with a ton of holes so investing multiple picks into that OL seems doable and ideal. With Mack Wilson as your 1st you aren't reaching for need but taking what's available talent wise at that spot and still addressing a possible area of concern and in doing so saving money with a rookie contract and fortifying your teams calling card, being a strong defense. Again this is before any pre draft process takes place so some OL like Risner and others may start climbing with good showings throughout the process but for now I see this as win win for the Vikes.

2 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

That's what I thought I read about O'Neil so it sounds like he may be able to even make the move to LT if needed but again now we are talking about moving guys when they are already successful at a spot.

For the record, I want to keep him at RT as well.

Archived