Preseason Game #3: vs Dallas

NickButera

12 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Should see our starters for at minimum a full quarter, many for a full half. Looking forward to seeing if our defense makes any strides, and if our rookie tandem DB's get any playing time. 

It was brought up on a few blog sites that we play Dallas in the regular season this year so we may hold back from really showing alot and gameplanning for them so as to not allow them more time and tape to counter us. Of course, we'll still try to win and put forth max effort but the articles were saying the sets would be pretty vanilla. They used us doing the same vs Tenn last yr in the 3rd Preseason game because we played them in a reg season game later. Just something I thought was interesting and may play a part in this game.

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

It was brought up on a few blog sites that we play Dallas in the regular season this year so we may hold back from really showing alot and gameplanning for them so as to not allow them more time and tape to counter us. Of course, we'll still try to win and put forth max effort but the articles were saying the sets would be pretty vanilla. They used us doing the same vs Tenn last yr in the 3rd Preseason game because we played them in a reg season game later. Just something I thought was interesting and may play a part in this game.

This is an aspect that I hadn't put a lot of thought into, but I always thought that pre-season was always vanilla. You don't really gameplan for the team your playing.

A few things that I'm looking for:

Offense-

Lynch getting a few more reps, 2 Rushes for 10 yards doesn't really show us much. The likely hood is that he'll get little work.

Carr getting back in there and adding to last weeks performance, can he move the offense quickly down the field consistently.

Does Penn hit the field after his hold out.

Elijah Hood and John Crockett, realistically there's only room for one of these guys

Defense

DB's coverage, is "Communication" continuing to be an issue. 

Obi Meliwonfu and Gareon Conley, do they hit the field.

Marquel Lee, one of the players I've been watching, didn't have as strong a game against the Rams as he did the Cardinals. 

I couldn't care less about our offense's performance this week.  We all know they are legit and will put up points this season.  The only thing I want to see is an improved defense.  Our defense during the first half of last week looked like Swiss cheese.  I would love to see Obi and Conley playing with the first team but Conley is still on the PUP list.  Does anyone know if Obi is playing this weekend?  Him going up against J. Witten would be pretty fun to watch (If Obi does well).

Even without Elliot the Cowboys running game will be tough so it will be a good barometer of the likes of Edwards, Ellis, Autry, Latham, Vanderdoes and maybe Ward if he gets any time. I'm interested to see how they hold up in the first quarter against the best OL in football. 

I think we all want to see how the DBs do............. and what type of coverages we are using!

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Even without Elliot the Cowboys running game will be tough so it will be a good barometer of the likes of Edwards, Ellis, Autry, Latham, Vanderdoes and maybe Ward if he gets any time. I'm interested to see how they hold up in the first quarter against the best OL in football. 

I think we all want to see how the DBs do............. and what type of coverages we are using!

ESPN just reported that E. Elliott may get some reps against us this weekend.

Ezekiel Elliott ESPN Article

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

ESPN just reported that E. Elliott may get some reps against us this weekend.

Ezekiel Elliott ESPN Article

Thanks Jerry. I'm pretty surprised at that with his suspension and thought they'd want to put the guys in who were going to start the season, but all the better for our DL and LBs, get to see what they're made of against an elite running game. Hopefully Mario, Jelly and Eddie rise to the occasion and ease some concerns.

14 hours ago, R8DR8five said:

A few things that I'm looking for:

Elijah Hood and John Crockett, realistically there's only room for one of these guys

Lynch, Olawale, Richard, Washington..... There's no room for either. 1 may get a PS spot. Probably Crockett if snap count means counts as anything. Hood has been a nobody. Only thing I've heard is he needs to learn to run behind his pads. Not what you want to here from a 'power back'.

39 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Lynch, Olawale, Richard, Washington..... There's no room for either. 1 may get a PS spot. Probably Crockett if snap count means counts as anything. Hood has been a nobody. Only thing I've heard is he needs to learn to run behind his pads. Not what you want to here from a 'power back'.

That is only if we keep 4 TEs. If Crockett or Hood really show out these last 2 games they may make themselves too valuable to waive and hope they make it to the practice squad. Either way that last cut player from our offense will probably get looks from other teams.

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I can see why you've come to this conclusion. However, I doubt we only keep 4 backs on the 53, judging from years past. If your right, I'd presume the winner of this battle hit the PS. 

11 hours ago, RaiderX said:

Glad the most meaningful game of preseason is vs Dallas. Gonna be a real test of 2 good young rosters. No clue how the secondary or middle of the line will hold up.

I'm just hoping our DL doesn't get pushed around all game like last week.  I think Matt Millen was calling the game against the Rams and he kept commenting on our pad level being too high.  Hopefully we get these mistakes fixed and look improved against the Cowboys.  It'll be hard with their OL though.

Archived