cddolphin's 2019 Mock Offseason (PART 4 - Another Trade)

cddolphin

Hey ya'll,

I have fun doing this every year. I'm going to release my offseason as I would do it, starting with coaching staff and player cuts. Since Flores is basically a given at this point, I'm going to roll with him: my first choice would have been Vic Fangio but I as far as I am concerned Flores has a blank slate and I hope for his success.

GM Chris Grier (he's the new King of the Castle - he is responsible for of all of football operations - scouting, drafting, free agency and HC hiring)

Assistant GM Marvin Allen

• KC's Director of College Scouting from 2013 to 2017
  • BUF Assistant GM in 2018

HC Brian Flores (read about him here)

"Flores, 37, has been a member of the Patriots organization since 2004, when he joined the team as a scouting assistant. He switched over to coaching in 2008 as a special teams assistant, climbing the ranks on Bill Belichick’s staff until he took over play-calling duties for the defense this past season, after former defensive coordinator Matt Patricia left New England to become Detroit’s head coach.

In 2010, Flores was an offensive assistant/special teams coach, and in 2011, he was a defensive assistant. From 2012-15, he was the team’s safety coach, before taking on linebackers coach duties in 2016."

Assistant HC: Bret Bielema

• Spent 2018 as "special assistant" to Belichick, whatever the hell that means. Has been linked to Flores.
  • HC Arkansas 2013-2017
  • HC Wisconsin 2006-2012
  • spent prior 9 years as LB coach / defensive coordinator

Offensive Coordinator: Tom Melvin

• TE Coach in KC 2013-present
  • TE Coach in PHI 2002-2012, so has spent the last decade and a half under Andy Reid
  • 10 years of OC experience at UC-Santa Barbara & Occidental College
  • former offensive line coach

Defensive Coordinator: Patrick Graham

• Green Bay LB Coach and Run Game Coordinator 2018
  • NYG Defensive Line Coach 2016-2017
  • New England Defensive Assistant / LB Coach 2009-2015 where he worked with Flores
  • Yale Graduate

Special Teams Coordinator: Darren Rizzi

• While he is courting other teams, it has been reported that "no decision is imminent". There is no salary cap on coaches; Flores wants Rizzi to stay, he has survived multiple head coaches before him, and Ross I'm sure would be happy to make him the highest-paid ST coach in the NFL, in a state where his family is settled and he pays no state income tax.

SALARY CAP SITUATION

The 2019 salary cap will be $189 million. Miami can roll over $6.92 million in unused 2018 cap for a practical 2019 cap of $195.92 million.

Miami currently has $168.04 million on the books in salary, and an additional $13.54 million in dead cap for a total of $181.58 million;

therefore, before any cuts/restructures Miami enters the 2019 offseason with a mere $14.34 million in cap space.

PLAYER CUTS

QB Ryan Tannehill - Miami can save $18.75m in cap space ($7.86m dead cap) by designating Tannehill as a post-June cut. I don't think teams will bite on a trade - however, I do think Tannehill will make some money this offseason.

DE Robert Quinn - This is a no-brainer, Miami can save $12.93m with absolutely no dead cap. With Miami moving more towards a 3-4 hybrid, Quinn has no place on this team.

WR DeVante Parker - Miami saves $9.93m, this is another easy move. Any need for an explanation here? DvP played smaller than his size for years and never sniffed his potential. Bye bye.

DE Andre Branch - Miami saves $7.0m, with $2.0m in dead cap. 11.5 sacks in three seasons gives us yet another example of why Miami should dabble in free agency only seldomly.

LB Kiko Alonso - Miami can save $6.51m if they designate Kiko as a post-June 1st cut; they'll also take on $1.76m in dead cap. Kiko isn't a bad LB - he played virtually every snap for Miami this past year and had a penchant for turnovers like he did in 2016. However, he has obvious limitations and tends to be boom-or-bust; he isn't worth paying to be a progress stopper on a team that likely won't be competitive until 2020 at the earliest.

WR Danny Amendola - Miami saves $6.0m. I'm sure he's a great professional blah blah blah - Miami also has Kenny Stills to fill that role and it's not worth keeping 33-year-old.

DT Akeem Spence - Miami saves $2.5m. Another progress-stopper, let Vincent Taylor and Davon Godchaux grow into larger roles while adding more defensive linemen in the draft.

OG Ted Larsen - Miami saves $1.87m, and incurs $420k in dead cap. Larsen wasn't quite John Jerry bad - but he was close. 

After the above cuts, Miami will enter the draft and free agency with $79.83 million in cap space

TRADE

Miami trades former Pro-Bowl SS Reshad Jones to the Indianapolis Colts:

Indy receives: Reshad Jones, 2019 7th round pick
Miami receives: 2019 2nd round pick (#58), 2020 6th round pick

Indianapolis strengthens their defense with a proven safety to pair with young FS Malik Hooker, who is still under a rookie deal for 2 more years. Indy also has another 2nd round pick, #34 via the New York Jets, and so still have two high picks in addition to Reshad Jones.

Indy also has over $100 million in cap space - this allows them to improve their already strong team without crippling their ability to draft high or sign other free agents.

While Jones has been a great safety for Miami, he is 30 years old and unlikely to be playing up to his contract during the time Miami will be competitive, in 2021-ish and beyond. With TJ McDonald a decent replacement at SS, and Minkah taking over at FS, Jones is expendable for a re-building team.

In trading Jones, Miami clears $15.31 million in cap space, bringing their new total to $95.14 million.

Miami trades RB Kenyan Drake to the Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas City receives: RB Kenyan Drake
Miami receives: 2020 4th round pick

With the exit of Kareem Hunt, RB Damien Williams stepped up and performed admirably, earning himself a contract extension in the process. However, it's a very team-friendly two year deal, and Williams should continue to play on special teams for the Chiefs, as he did in Miami. Behind Williams, the cupboard is bare except for two young backs with a combined 20 snaps between them (Spencer Ware is likely to leave in free agency).

Drake would add a Hunt-like dynamic to the Chiefs, along with pass-catching ability and game breaking speed.

With this trade, the Chiefs can add another dynamic weapon on a cheap one-year rental to make another Superbowl push, without giving up any 2019 draft picks; meanwhile, Miami gets some value out of a player at a position that smart teams don't re-sign in free agency.

Trading Drake adds $810k in cap space for Miami, bringing their new total to $95.95 million.

Current 2019 draft picks:
1 (13)
2 (48)
2 (58)
3 (78)
4 (TBD)
5 (TBD)
6 (TBD)

Current 2020 draft picks:
4, 4
6, 6

Current roster:
Offense
QB Luke Falk, Jake Rudock
RB Kalen Ballage
TE Mike Gesicki, Nick O'Leary, Durham Smythe
WR Kenny Stills, Albert Wilson, Brice Butler, Jakeem Grant, Isaiah Ford
C Daniel Kilgore
OG Josh Sitton, Connor Hilland
OT Laremy Tunsil
Defense
DL Davon Godchaux, Vincent Taylor, Jamiyus Pittman, Kendrick Norton
DE/OLB Charles Harris, Jeremiah Vaoloaga
ILB Raekwon McMillan, Jerome Baker, Chase Allen, Quentin Poling, Sam Eguavoen, James Burgess
CB Xavien Howard, Bobby McCain, Jalen Davis, Cornell Armstrong, Cordrea Tankersley, Chris Lammons
S Minkah Fitpatrick, TJ McDonald, Walt Aikens
Special Teams
P Matt Hack
K Jason Sanders

Since Flores is a young HC, I went with experience on either side of the ball to help him.

Tom Melvin will be an older offensive coordinator - but I prefer him over the rumored Jim Caldwell. Since it's more likely Miami drafts a QB high in 2020 than 2019 simply due to availability, I'm not swinging for the fences for an available young 'guru' like Jim Bob Cooter.

Thoughts?

8 hours ago, Dolphinmeister said:

Caldwell reportedly will be an advisor not a full blown OC.

I've heard/read both. We'll see - I'd be okay with him, just not my first choice.

6 hours ago, FinSting said:

Draft for that 3-4 defense, or snag through FA. Need some backers. 

Yup - Miami will likely play a hybrid just like NE, and play a lot more dime and quarter defense.

44 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

I don't like the idea of an "advisor", unless it's some HOF retired coach/GM/player. I'd prefer someone fully committed with real skin in the game.

Why not? It's basically what Dan Marino does on the football operations side, to a greater extent. As long as the hierarchy is perfectly clear.

Flores is a young cat - he'll be 38 at the beginning of the season.

Been saying it for years and Ill say it again....

Pay Jimmy Johnson a massive sum of money to train/develop your Football Ops staff/GM.  He didn't just draft Pro Bowlers... The guy drafted 4  HOFers and he only coached in the NFL for 9 years!  He also drafted Patrick Surtain, Sam  Madison, Zach Thomas, Ken Norton, Steve Wisniewski, Daryl Johnston, Mark Stepnoski, Erik Williams, Jimmy Smith, Darren Woodson, Ron Stone and Brock Marion... All not in the HOF.

That's a combined 78 Pro Bowls in 9 Drafts..........

Obviously this will never happen...... But one can wish

SALARY CAP SITUATION

The 2019 salary cap will be $189 million. Miami can roll over $6.92 million in unused 2018 cap for a practical 2019 cap of $195.92 million.

Miami currently has $168.04 million on the books in salary, and an additional $13.54 million in dead cap for a total of $181.58 million;

therefore, before any cuts/restructures Miami enters the 2019 offseason with a mere $14.34 million in cap space.

PLAYER CUTS

QB Ryan Tannehill - Miami can save $18.75m in cap space ($7.86m dead cap) by designating Tannehill as a post-June cut. I don't think teams will bite on a trade - however, I do think Tannehill will make some money this offseason.

DE Robert Quinn - This is a no-brainer, Miami can save $12.93m with absolutely no dead cap. With Miami moving more towards a 3-4 hybrid, Quinn has no place on this team.

WR DeVante Parker - Miami saves $9.93m, this is another easy move. Any need for an explanation here? DvP played smaller than his size for years and never sniffed his potential. Bye bye.

DE Andre Branch - Miami saves $7.0m, with $2.0m in dead cap. 11.5 sacks in three seasons gives us yet another example of why Miami should dabble in free agency only seldomly.

LB Kiko Alonso - Miami can save $6.51m if they designate Kiko as a post-June 1st cut; they'll also take on $1.76m in dead cap. Kiko isn't a bad LB - he played virtually every snap for Miami this past year and had a penchant for turnovers like he did in 2016. However, he has obvious limitations and tends to be boom-or-bust; he isn't worth paying to be a progress stopper on a team that likely won't be competitive until 2020 at the earliest.

WR Danny Amendola - Miami saves $6.0m. I'm sure he's a great professional blah blah blah - Miami also has Kenny Stills to fill that role and it's not worth keeping 33-year-old.

DT Akeem Spence - Miami saves $2.5m. Another progress-stopper, let Vincent Taylor and Davon Godchaux grow into larger roles while adding more defensive linemen in the draft.

OG Ted Larsen - Miami saves $1.87m, and incurs $420k in dead cap. Larsen wasn't quite John Jerry bad - but he was close. 

After the above cuts, Miami will enter the draft and free agency with $79.83 million in cap space

4 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

I thought you'd cut Sitton loose. 

Cutting Sitton would save $5m, it's definitely a hard decision.

But since my emphasis (and hopefully Miami's) will be in building the offensive and defensive line, I figure I'd hold on to Sitton while Tunsil is relatively cheap. He may also be helpful to have next to a rookie center for example.

By the way, Miami could hypothetically save $4m by cutting Kenny Stills, although I don't like the idea nor do I think Miami pursues that option.

I'd keep Kiko, Amendola and Spence as they are good players and not overly expensive considering the market. I'm not overly attached to anyone on the roster though, I prefer the 'no one is safe' mentality during a rebuild.

It's going to be fun and interesting seeing how this new-look team is disassembled then reassembled during the offseason. 

3 hours ago, cddolphin said:

SALARY CAP SITUATION

The 2019 salary cap will be $189 million. Miami can roll over $6.92 million in unused 2018 cap for a practical 2019 cap of $195.92 million.

therefore, before any cuts/restructures Miami enters the 2019 offseason with a mere $14.34 million in cap space.

PLAYER CUTS

QB Ryan Tannehill - Miami can save $18.75m in cap space ($7.86m dead cap) by designating Tannehill as a post-June cut. I don't think teams will bite on a trade - however, I do think Tannehill will make some money this offseason.

DE Robert Quinn - This is a no-brainer, Miami can save $12.93m with absolutely no dead cap. With Miami moving more towards a 3-4 hybrid, Quinn has no place on this team.

WR DeVante Parker - Miami saves $9.93m, this is another easy move. Any need for an explanation here? DvP played smaller than his size for years and never sniffed his potential. Bye bye.

DE Andre Branch - Miami saves $7.0m, with $2.0m in dead cap. 11.5 sacks in three seasons gives us yet another example of why Miami should dabble in free agency only seldomly.

LB Kiko Alonso - Miami can save $6.51m if they designate Kiko as a post-June 1st cut; they'll also take on $1.76m in dead cap. Kiko isn't a bad LB - he played virtually every snap for Miami this past year and had a penchant for turnovers like he did in 2016. However, he has obvious limitations and tends to be boom-or-bust; he isn't worth paying to be a progress stopper on a team that likely won't be competitive until 2020 at the earliest.

WR Danny Amendola - Miami saves $6.0m. I'm sure he's a great professional blah blah blah - Miami also has Kenny Stills to fill that role and it's not worth keeping 33-year-old.

DT Akeem Spence - Miami saves $2.5m. Another progress-stopper, let Vincent Taylor and Davon Godchaux grow into larger roles while adding more defensive linemen in the draft.

OG Ted Larsen - Miami saves $1.87m, and incurs $420k in dead cap. Larsen wasn't quite John Jerry bad - but he was close. 

After the above cuts, Miami will enter the draft and free agency with $79.83 million in cap space

Not sure on the branch comment. It was the contract extension that screwed us not the initial deal. I agree with clearing the decks but not sure on whether I would dump Alonso. I think free agency is fine just go for younger players and not reward average. Good read though be interested to see what you spend the cap space on if not FA.

38 minutes ago, mountainpd said:

Not sure on the branch comment. It was the contract extension that screwed us not the initial deal.

Fair - kind of seemed like doubling down on mediocre talent.

I agree with clearing the decks but not sure on whether I would dump Alonso. I think free agency is fine just go for younger players and not reward average.

Alonso is the one with the best argument to stay - and I do think he would be better suited in a 3-4 type defense ; it's a close call.

Good read though be interested to see what you spend the cap space on if not FA.

Some of it will be spent on extensions ; some will be spent on value free agents - much of it should be rolled over into 2020. It'd be great to be in a situation like the Colts are - a competitive team with cap flexibility.

Archived