cddolphin's 2019 Mock Offseason (PART 4 - Another Trade)

cddolphin

3 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Wonder what QB you're planning to bring in.

I could see us bringing in a guy like Tyrod Taylor on a 1 year deal with an option year.  Probably going to take $12-15m/year.  A few other guys I could see in the mix are Blake Bortles, Ryan FitzPatrick, RG3 or Trevor Semien.  I could see Miami just wanting a professional that comes in and sets a good example.  

41 minutes ago, Rgossett07 said:

I could see us bringing in a guy like Tyrod Taylor on a 1 year deal with an option year.  Probably going to take $12-15m/year.  A few other guys I could see in the mix are Blake Bortles, Ryan FitzPatrick, RG3 or Trevor Semien.  I could see Miami just wanting a professional that comes in and sets a good example.  

I think I'd rather just tank, let that money roll over, and have a great shot at #1 Overall in 2020.

TRADE

26_3968039.jpg?fit=1200,630&ssl=1

Miami trades former Pro-Bowl SS Reshad Jones to the Indianapolis Colts:

Indy receives: Reshad Jones, 2019 7th round pick
Miami receives: 2019 2nd round pick (#58), 2020 6th round pick

Indianapolis strengthens their defense with a proven safety to pair with young FS Malik Hooker, who is still under a rookie deal for 2 more years. Indy also has another 2nd round pick, #34 via the New York Jets, and so still have two high picks in addition to Reshad Jones.

Indy also has over $100 million in cap space - this allows them to improve their already strong team without crippling their ability to draft high or sign other free agents.

While Jones has been a great safety for Miami, he is 30 years old and unlikely to be playing up to his contract during the time Miami will be competitive, in 2021-ish and beyond. With TJ McDonald a decent replacement at SS, and Minkah taking over at FS, Jones is expendable for a re-building team.

In trading Jones, Miami clears $15.31 million in cap space, bringing their new total to $95.14 million.

26 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I'm on board with that trade for sure.  Not positive that a 2nd could be obtained for Jones, but I wouldn't mind a 3rd/5th combo for him either.  

It's a very late 2nd, and the Colts have another early 2nd, it's the only scenario I see a 2nd for Jones. I would be okay with a 3rd / 5th in real life.

4 hours ago, cddolphin said:

TRADE

26_3968039.jpg?fit=1200,630&ssl=1

Miami trades former Pro-Bowl SS Reshad Jones to the Indianapolis Colts:

Indy receives: Reshad Jones, 2019 7th round pick
Miami receives: 2019 2nd round pick (#58), 2020 6th round pick

Indianapolis strengthens their defense with a proven safety to pair with young FS Malik Hooker, who is still under a rookie deal for 2 more years. Indy also has another 2nd round pick, #34 via the New York Jets, and so still have two high picks in addition to Reshad Jones.

Indy also has over $100 million in cap space - this allows them to improve their already strong team without crippling their ability to draft high or sign other free agents.

While Jones has been a great safety for Miami, he is 30 years old and unlikely to be playing up to his contract during the time Miami will be competitive, in 2021-ish and beyond. With TJ McDonald a decent replacement at SS, and Minkah taking over at FS, Jones is expendable for a re-building team.

In trading Jones, Miami clears $15.31 million in cap space, bringing their new total to $95.14 million.

I think the thought behind this trade are spot on and the reasoning too. As above think we would only fetch a third and maybe a late rounder or a possible flip of picks

Love to see Jones traded. Can never understand the contract stuff but I think the Fins will still eat a sizeable portion of his salary even if he's traded? Which is fine by me, just get him gone. 

So much dead money to still eat in 2019 and 2020. Liking this new patient Fins vibe among the fanbase, it's like we all understand it will take 2 more season to overcome the bad salary management. 

Never before as a Fins fan have I been looking forward to the draft 2 years away, not caring much about the draft coming up in only 3 months. This is New Territory. 

14 hours ago, FinSting said:

Love to see Jones traded. Can never understand the contract stuff but I think the Fins will still eat a sizeable portion of his salary even if he's traded? Which is fine by me, just get him gone. 

I *think* they would only eat the 2019 portion of his signing bonus - which I deducted.

I may be wrong, but I think that's how it works.

21 hours ago, cddolphin said:

It's a very late 2nd, and the Colts have another early 2nd, it's the only scenario I see a 2nd for Jones. I would be okay with a 3rd / 5th in real life.

I didn't realize they had multiple 2nd rounders.  That does make some more sense then.  

15 hours ago, FinSting said:

So much dead money to still eat in 2019 and 2020. Liking this new patient Fins vibe among the fanbase, it's like we all understand it will take 2 more season to overcome the bad salary management. 

Never before as a Fins fan have I been looking forward to the draft 2 years away, not caring much about the draft coming up in only 3 months. This is New Territory. 

I think at this point we are all sick of the perpetual mediocrity.  I feel like we've been 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 for the past 20 years. Never good enough to make a strong push for a SB, but not bad enough to get the premium draft talent at the top.  

I’m digging the off season moves you’re projecting so far.  My only issue is in believing a 2nd for Jones would ever be a possibility.  Regardless if the Colts had 10 second round picks, we still wouldn’t get one for Jones.  I see Jones value given his cap hit as a 5th rounder most likely.  Now I’m not 100% sure how he would get paid what and by which team should we trade him, but if we outright cut him his dead hits are significant over the next 3 seasons ( $12mil+, $8mil+, and $4mil+ ). Under his current contract his base salary hits over the next three seasons are $13Mil+, $11mil+, and $10mil+.  I just don’t see another team paying that plus a 2nd round pick.  He’s a very good player with Pro Bowl talent level ( that’s why we might get a 5th and not a 7th ) but he’s 30 and is overpaid.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/reshad-jones-6969/

2 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

I’m digging the off season moves you’re projecting so far.  My only issue is in believing a 2nd for Jones would ever be a possibility.  Regardless if the Colts had 10 second round picks, we still wouldn’t get one for Jones.  I see Jones value given his cap hit as a 5th rounder most likely.  Now I’m not 100% sure how he would get paid what and by which team should we trade him, but if we outright cut him his dead hits are significant over the next 3 seasons ( $12mil+, $8mil+, and $4mil+ ). Under his current contract his base salary hits over the next three seasons are $13Mil+, $11mil+, and $10mil+.  I just don’t see another team paying that plus a 2nd round pick.  He’s a very good player with Pro Bowl talent level ( that’s why we might get a 5th and not a 7th ) but he’s 30 and is overpaid.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/reshad-jones-6969/

My logic was since the Colts have so much cap room (most in the NFL), and have a big need at SS next to Malik Hooker, they would be willing to take on Jones to further strengthen their defense for another playoff push.

BTW - all numbers in this thread will be per Spotrac as linked above

27 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

My logic was since the Colts have so much cap room (most in the NFL), and have a big need at SS next to Malik Hooker, they would be willing to take on Jones to further strengthen their defense for another playoff push.

BTW - all numbers in this thread will be per Spotrac as linked above

I understand, I think the Colts would be smart to move on a trade for Jones, but they aren’t going to give a second round pick for him IMO.  A fourth maybe, a fifth more likely but honestly I’m sure we would let him go for a 7th to clear the cap space.......that would allow us to work on extending / resigning Juwaun James and Xavier Howard.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

I think at this point we are all sick of the perpetual mediocrity.  I feel like we've been 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 for the past 20 years. Never good enough to make a strong push for a SB, but not bad enough to get the premium draft talent at the top.  

Fins did have the #1 overall pick in the '08 draft and #3 overall pick in the 2013 draft. Two premium draft positions and both players became famous for missing lots of games from injury or other issues. Oh well, can't change the past, draft for the future. 

Archived