cddolphin's 2019 Mock Offseason (PART 4 - Another Trade)

cddolphin

TRADE

drake-2.jpg

Miami trades RB Kenyan Drake to the Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas City receives: RB Kenyan Drake
Miami receives: 2020 4th round pick

With the exit of Kareem Hunt, RB Damien Williams stepped up and performed admirably, earning himself a contract extension in the process. However, it's a very team-friendly two year deal, and Williams should continue to play on special teams for the Chiefs, as he did in Miami. Behind Williams, the cupboard is bare except for two young backs with a combined 20 snaps between them (Spencer Ware is likely to leave in free agency).

Drake would add a Hunt-like dynamic to the Chiefs, along with pass-catching ability and game breaking speed.

With this trade, the Chiefs can add another dynamic weapon on a cheap one-year rental to make another Superbowl push, without giving up any 2019 draft picks; meanwhile, Miami gets some value out of a player at a position that smart teams don't re-sign in free agency.

Trading Drake adds $810k in cap space for Miami, bringing their new total to $95.95 million.

I'll keep updating this in the OP, but below are the current draft picks and roster (note that impending FAs like James, Wake aren't included).

Current 2019 draft picks:
1 (13)
2 (48)
2 (58)
3 (78)
4 (TBD)
5 (TBD)
6 (TBD)

Current 2020 draft picks:
4, 4
6, 6

Current roster:
Offense
QB Luke Falk, Jake Rudock
RB Kalen Ballage
TE Mike Gesicki, Nick O'Leary, Durham Smythe
WR Kenny Stills, Albert Wilson, Brice Butler, Jakeem Grant, Isaiah Ford
C Daniel Kilgore
OG Josh Sitton, Connor Hilland
OT Laremy Tunsil
Defense
DL Davon Godchaux, Vincent Taylor, Jamiyus Pittman, Kendrick Norton
DE/OLB Charles Harris, Jeremiah Vaoloaga
ILB Raekwon McMillan, Jerome Baker, Chase Allen, Quentin Poling, Sam Eguavoen, James Burgess
CB Xavien Howard, Bobby McCain, Jalen Davis, Cornell Armstrong, Cordrea Tankersley, Chris Lammons
S Minkah Fitpatrick, TJ McDonald, Walt Aikens
Special Teams
P Matt Hack
K Jason Sanders

19 hours ago, FinSting said:

Fins did have the #1 overall pick in the '08 draft and #3 overall pick in the 2013 draft. Two premium draft positions and both players became famous for missing lots of games from injury or other issues. Oh well, can't change the past, draft for the future. 

I blame Parcells for both of those screw ups......yes even the 2013 screw up since he’s the one that brought in Ireland as the GM.

Funny how Parcells famously cried about how he should be the one “ buying the groceries “ and when Ross let him go grocery shopping he totally screwed it up.  He bought the milk that expires two days later lol.

Jake Long was an awesome player who got injured. It was 2008 and Miami was going to be a run-based team. In hindsight, Ryan was the better pick but who knows how he would've developed in Miami.

That 2008 team had some talent. With a vet QB and Jake Long they became instantly competitive. 

1 hour ago, freak_of_nature said:

That 2008 team had some talent. With a vet QB and Jake Long they became instantly competitive. 

Don't remind me...that was a good squad! And then, the dreaded injury bug, never competitive again with that group. 

6 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

Joey Porter had 17.5 sacks that season. 

But we took a left tackle instead of the QB with the #1 pick. That LT only had three full seasons in him before the wheels fell off. Torn bicep, back problems, two torn ACL's, torn Achilles...the NFL just wasn't good for him. 

Now it's 2018, that QB had almost 5,000 yards passing, 108 QB rating, 35 TD's, only 7 INT's. We did not choose wisely. 

I guess the fun question now is...will we go for a QB in April? 

On 1/24/2019 at 5:58 PM, FinSting said:

But we took a left tackle instead of the QB with the #1 pick. That LT only had three full seasons in him before the wheels fell off. Torn bicep, back problems, two torn ACL's, torn Achilles...the NFL just wasn't good for him. 

Now it's 2018, that QB had almost 5,000 yards passing, 108 QB rating, 35 TD's, only 7 INT's. We did not choose wisely. 

I guess the fun question now is...will we go for a QB in April? 

Matt Ryan would've gotten murdered behind our 2008 OL without Jake Long. He's always had a good-great OL in Atlanta. During that span, our OLs have been trash. Moreover, he wouldn't get to play in a dome 9+ games per season.

I have a hard time envisioning Ryan having that kind of success in Miami.

On 1/15/2019 at 6:56 PM, cddolphin said:

In trading Jones, Miami clears $15.31 million in cap space, bringing their new total to $95.14 million

This doesn't seem accurate to me. I'm guessing you're using OTC calculator, and that move does net you $5.025 MM this year as well as all future years' salaries, but not $15.31 MM. Shouldn't matter all in all though, you guys still should have plenty of cap space after cutting dead weight.

On 2/1/2019 at 1:09 PM, freak_of_nature said:

I'm a little concerned about his ability to stay on the field with that knee. Is it the same knee from 2016? I'd take a late 1st & 3rd.

I’m sure our FO would take a late 1st & 3rd too, but no one will offer that IMO.  I’m sure we have probably been offered a 2nd rounder, but we could possibly get a late 1st rounder for him.  I would think Philly would have some interest, especially if they can get a 1st round pick for Foles.  Also Oakland and Green Bay would be needy teams that have multiple first round picks and would likely have some interest.  Indianapolis could be the most likely trade partner if they don’t see a CB in the upcoming draft that is close talent wise to X-Man ......The Colts have a huge amount of cap room and could make him the leagues highest paid CB and still have plenty of cap room left.

Additionally, we could be open to a 2020 first round pick since that is projected to be a QB rich draft compared to 2019.  It’s also more likely a team is more willing to part with a 2020 pick instead of a 2019 pick.

Archived