cddolphin's 2019 Mock Offseason (PART 4 - Another Trade)

cddolphin

On 1/22/2019 at 1:41 PM, cddolphin said:

TRADE

26_3968039.jpg?fit=1200,630&ssl=1

Miami trades former Pro-Bowl SS Reshad Jones to the Indianapolis Colts:

Indy receives: Reshad Jones, 2019 7th round pick
Miami receives: 2019 2nd round pick (#58), 2020 6th round pick

In trading Jones, Miami clears $15.31 million in cap space, bringing their new total to $95.14 million.

Instead of a pick for Jones what about Jacoby Brissett? He would have experience in whatever offense Chad O'Shea is bringing to Miami.

I know Ballard said he wouldn't give him up for cheap but a guy on a cheap rookie deal versus signing a vet FA or wasting a draft pick on a QB seems like a no brainer.

12 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Instead of a pick for Jones what about Jacoby Brissett? He would have experience in whatever offense Chad O'Shea is bringing to Miami.

I know Ballard said he wouldn't give him up for cheap but a guy on a cheap rookie deal versus signing a vet FA or wasting a draft pick on a QB seems like a no brainer.

He's a FA after next season and we'd rather have the draft pick than a lackluster starting QB. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

Might want to add DE / OLB Tank Carradine to this off season moves roster.....Looks like we just signed him...... Depth / Camp body likely.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/dolphins-tank-carradine-joins-dolphins/

He has some ability but can never stay healthy. He could be a good rotational guy if his body can stay working. 

On 2/3/2019 at 10:59 PM, SirA1 said:

Yes please.  I really like Jones and he’s been very productive for us, but given a chance to swap him for Brissett, heck yes......I would even sweeten the pot with a 5th round 2019 pick.

On 1/15/2019 at 6:56 PM, cddolphin said:

Hey ya'll,

I have fun doing this every year. I'm going to release my offseason as I would do it, starting with coaching staff and player cuts. Since Flores is basically a given at this point, I'm going to roll with him: my first choice would have been Vic Fangio but I as far as I am concerned Flores has a blank slate and I hope for his success.

GM Chris Grier (he's the new King of the Castle - he is responsible for of all of football operations - scouting, drafting, free agency and HC hiring)

Assistant GM Marvin Allen

• KC's Director of College Scouting from 2013 to 2017
  • BUF Assistant GM in 2018

HC Brian Flores (read about him here)

"Flores, 37, has been a member of the Patriots organization since 2004, when he joined the team as a scouting assistant. He switched over to coaching in 2008 as a special teams assistant, climbing the ranks on Bill Belichick’s staff until he took over play-calling duties for the defense this past season, after former defensive coordinator Matt Patricia left New England to become Detroit’s head coach.

In 2010, Flores was an offensive assistant/special teams coach, and in 2011, he was a defensive assistant. From 2012-15, he was the team’s safety coach, before taking on linebackers coach duties in 2016."

Assistant HC: Bret Bielema

• Spent 2018 as "special assistant" to Belichick, whatever the hell that means. Has been linked to Flores.
  • HC Arkansas 2013-2017
  • HC Wisconsin 2006-2012
  • spent prior 9 years as LB coach / defensive coordinator

Offensive Coordinator: Tom Melvin

• TE Coach in KC 2013-present
  • TE Coach in PHI 2002-2012, so has spent the last decade and a half under Andy Reid
  • 10 years of OC experience at UC-Santa Barbara & Occidental College
  • former offensive line coach

Defensive Coordinator: Patrick Graham

• Green Bay LB Coach and Run Game Coordinator 2018
  • NYG Defensive Line Coach 2016-2017
  • New England Defensive Assistant / LB Coach 2009-2015 where he worked with Flores
  • Yale Graduate

Special Teams Coordinator: Darren Rizzi

• While he is courting other teams, it has been reported that "no decision is imminent". There is no salary cap on coaches; Flores wants Rizzi to stay, he has survived multiple head coaches before him, and Ross I'm sure would be happy to make him the highest-paid ST coach in the NFL, in a state where his family is settled and he pays no state income tax.

SALARY CAP SITUATION

The 2019 salary cap will be $189 million. Miami can roll over $6.92 million in unused 2018 cap for a practical 2019 cap of $195.92 million.

Miami currently has $168.04 million on the books in salary, and an additional $13.54 million in dead cap for a total of $181.58 million;

therefore, before any cuts/restructures Miami enters the 2019 offseason with a mere $14.34 million in cap space.

PLAYER CUTS

QB Ryan Tannehill - Miami can save $18.75m in cap space ($7.86m dead cap) by designating Tannehill as a post-June cut. I don't think teams will bite on a trade - however, I do think Tannehill will make some money this offseason.

DE Robert Quinn - This is a no-brainer, Miami can save $12.93m with absolutely no dead cap. With Miami moving more towards a 3-4 hybrid, Quinn has no place on this team.

WR DeVante Parker - Miami saves $9.93m, this is another easy move. Any need for an explanation here? DvP played smaller than his size for years and never sniffed his potential. Bye bye.

DE Andre Branch - Miami saves $7.0m, with $2.0m in dead cap. 11.5 sacks in three seasons gives us yet another example of why Miami should dabble in free agency only seldomly.

LB Kiko Alonso - Miami can save $6.51m if they designate Kiko as a post-June 1st cut; they'll also take on $1.76m in dead cap. Kiko isn't a bad LB - he played virtually every snap for Miami this past year and had a penchant for turnovers like he did in 2016. However, he has obvious limitations and tends to be boom-or-bust; he isn't worth paying to be a progress stopper on a team that likely won't be competitive until 2020 at the earliest.

WR Danny Amendola - Miami saves $6.0m. I'm sure he's a great professional blah blah blah - Miami also has Kenny Stills to fill that role and it's not worth keeping 33-year-old.

DT Akeem Spence - Miami saves $2.5m. Another progress-stopper, let Vincent Taylor and Davon Godchaux grow into larger roles while adding more defensive linemen in the draft.

OG Ted Larsen - Miami saves $1.87m, and incurs $420k in dead cap. Larsen wasn't quite John Jerry bad - but he was close. 

After the above cuts, Miami will enter the draft and free agency with $79.83 million in cap space

FYI you can only have one post june 1st cut cant have multiple ones to clear cap. 

Archived