Sign in to follow this  
49erurtaza

49ers hire Joe Woods as Passing game Coordinator on Defense

16 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Nice!!!! Heard good things about him. Thought he was interviewing with the Cardinals today? 

55 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Nice!!!! Heard good things about him. Thought he was interviewing with the Cardinals today? 

Admittedly don't know much about him but the Broncos have had a pretty good defense the past couple years so I'm good with it. Another connection to a possible FA target in Bradley Roby too.

Really good hire. I actually thought Woods was fine as our DC, both sides just needed a fresh start. 

Someone with DC experience! This is fantastic. 

I also like that he ran a lot of man coverage. I've said it over and over this year, I was not a fan of the zones we ran on the back end. I know a lot of it was poor execution, but a lot of it was play design where teams would overload zones or have guys attacking certain spots on the field that would put our guys at a disadvantage. 

I think you need to have a good mix of both man and zone to be successful

@rudyZ made the point that he might be both db coach and passing game coordinator, which would make sense. 

Seems like the overall staff has been upgraded this off-season so far

11 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Many here have been saying exactly that! Adjust and diversify! Excited to see the impact he may have.

9 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Really good hire. I actually thought Woods was fine as our DC, both sides just needed a fresh start. 

Good to hear. 

I knew we wouldn't make coordinator changes but I did want positional upgrades as well as a new medical staff. So I couldn't ask for much more tbh. 

Now bring in ET/Brown while drafting well and make a nice run at it next season. 

Didn't even occur to me either but with the Woods hire there's now the connection between himself, Roby (as I stated earlier), Barrett and Ray and I believe Peters who's in the front office who drafted them all. Not sure what are game plan will be obviously but with Roby, Ziggy, Barrett and Ray all having connections to a coach as well as a front office member who was a part of their drafting, along with our obvious interest in AB and ET it would seem we may be falling in line with a rather busy offseason. 

3 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

Didn't even occur to me either but with the Woods hire there's now the connection between himself, Roby (as I stated earlier), Barrett and Ray and I believe Peters who's in the front office who drafted them all. Not sure what are game plan will be obviously but with Roby, Ziggy, Barrett and Ray all having connections to a coach as well as a front office member who was a part of their drafting, along with our obvious interest in AB and ET it would seem we may be falling in line with a rather busy offseason. 

I agree we are going to have great insight good and bad on a ton of players in FA 

Woods was brought to Minnesota in 2006 along with Defensive Coordinator Mike Tomlin, who worked with him as a secondary coach in Tampa Bay. 

Per Wikipedia -  interesting connection there...