Cam Newton to sit out 2019?

Elky

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

What it really means is that Cam needs a scope.   No type of imaging is good enough for the shoulder.   There’s a risk he needs a full reconstruction in which case yeah 2019 is at risk.   But it could be a lesser repair is needed and then he’s good to go for 2019.   But either way a scope to see what the deal is seems inevitable.  

I can attest to this.

I had 12 left arm surgeries with 4 of them being shoulder from 2016-2018 and you really can't tell the damage until they go in there despite even the most up to date imaging.

Lot of times it was a case of "Once we got in there, it was worse than we thought."

There's just so much going on in a shoulder in such a smaller space that it's hard to get it on imaging. 

There's a few reasons I don't think this is happening;

1. In 2017 in the offseason, Cam underwent a debridement of the rotator cuff. It's fair to assume he re-injured the rotator, which never fully returns strength/function. I doubt resting solves this.

2. Cam will be 30 heading into 2019, and only signed through 2020. If Rivera/Hurney are fired after 2019, I find it hard to believe Cam isn't gone with them.

3. There's no way you can extend Newton after a year away from football with no knowledge of what he'll look like on the field. Cam went 16+ games after the debridement and looked fine. He re-injured the shoulder against Pittsburgh most likely, but the following game against Detroit was arguably the best of the season.

4. His throwing motion is problematic. He creates all his torque with his upper body, putting stress and pressure on an already injured shoulder. When we sent him to a QB camp pre-2015, he shined, and then regressed in 2016, much as Wentz did from 17-18. I'm not entirely sure either QB is fixable as far as their mechanical flaws.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Week 1 2019 is a long way away, lots can happen between now and then.

I would like this post, but I refuse to give you more likes until an investigation is launched into how many likes you have.    

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Who made the call to play him this season despite him being OBVIOUSLY hurt? Because if they didn't shut him down, only to have him miss next season as well, someone's gotta lose their job over that.

100%, entire training staff need to be fired. If I'm Tepper I'm FURIOUS if this is the news I get today. I'm calling every staff member who could have plausibly known the extent of how badly broken down he was and continued to let him play and making each and every one explain to me why they should still have a position on this organization. The man is so badly injured they can't even see the extent of the damage through an MRI. And he was allowed to play through it despite it being evident in week like, 5 to even a layman watching passively that his arm was shot.

Cam Newton is the franchise, without Cam they're cooked, roasted, screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewed. 

Why are people making excuses for Cam? He Too chose to play, wanted to play until mathematically  eliminated despite the obvious injury. If he was truly injured beyond where "he felt" he couldn't  play, He wouldn't have!

Yes the medical  staff is a joke and should be held accountable but Cam also needs to take responsibility for either A: Continuing to intentionally  play through the pain, B: Not informing the Staff properly about that pain or C : Both.

There's being a Competitor and then theres being Stupid. Unfortunately  the former led to the latter IMO. He's  just as much if not more to blame. 

As much as he seemed to be hurt this season, why on Earth were they still calling his number on read option plays?

And frankly, his backup was money once they finally sat Cam.

Either way, they'll find out a way to eek out 9-10 wins, and enjoy the playoffs from the couch.

11 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

100%, entire training staff need to be fired. If I'm Tepper I'm FURIOUS if this is the news I get today. I'm calling every staff member who could have plausibly known the extent of how badly broken down he was and continued to let him play and making each and every one explain to me why they should still have a position on this organization. The man is so badly injured they can't even see the extent of the damage through an MRI. And he was allowed to play through it despite it being evident in week like, 5 to even a layman watching passively that his arm was shot.

Cam Newton is the franchise, without Cam they're cooked, roasted, screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewed. 

will you link where newtons should is so destroyed? Rappaport is on record saying there no structural damage. 

Archived