Cam Newton to sit out 2019?

Elky

Panthers should consider cutting bait.  He's been below average for the better part of the last 3 years.  He's had 1 great season in an otherwise very average career.  Now this; I just don't see any logical point in holding on to him any longer...

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:47 PM, Dome said:

I just mean the NFL without Cam Newton playing is more lame than the NFL with him out there each week. The Panthers could be hard to watch without him, they're similar to the Giants at that point IMO.

Really?  What is it that you're going to miss most: Sailing balls over wide open receivers; pointless celebration of every routine play; or the post-game whimpering after every loss...

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:42 PM, Tyty said:

Well the older he gets the more he’s going to need to rely on passing and not running so much anymore. Could be a good decision if it truly does give him that Luck esque comeback 

Which does not bode well for him...

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:00 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Who made the call to play him this season despite him being OBVIOUSLY hurt? Because if they didn't shut him down, only to have him miss next season as well, someone's gotta lose their job over that.

What was so obvious?  He always was a crappy passer, so it wasn't really out of the ordinary to see him throw to the feet of wide open receivers...  His shoulder seemed fine when he'd jump up and do his little first down celebration.  Also, any QB playing hurt probably shouldn't run the ball 5-8 times per game...

While I agree with your sentiment, as far as whose decision it was to play him; he probably had as much to do with it as anyone.  It's not uncommon for a player to hide injuries from trainers.  Secondly, they were 6-2 heading into week 10; there was still a lot to play for, so unless it was torn, he was playing...

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:40 AM, Thelonebillsfan said:

Cam Newton is the franchise, without Cam they're cooked, roasted, screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewed. 

While he's not terrible, you certainly have an exaggerated opinion of him...  He's middle of the road, at best.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:04 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

I don't blame Cam, they never made a real serious effort to protect him like the Colts did with Luck. Looking forward to getting your brains beat in for another year would force you to do the same.

I'd wager about 95% of the hits Cam takes are his own doing...  anyway, he was only sacked 29 times this year, lowest total of his career...

29 minutes ago, frenchie said:

Really?  What is it that you're going to miss most: Sailing balls over wide open receivers; pointless celebration of every routine play; or the post-game whimpering after every loss...

Let’s not act like the guy is useless when healthy. 

Every week Cam is doing something that makes me say WOW.

As I Saints fan I can only hope it’s “WOW I can’t believe he missed that wide open receiver” but at least once or twice a week it’s the exact opposite. I personally have never seen a player like him, I enjoy watching him play.

I like his personality on the field, he’s cocky and talks trash, I like that in a player. Yeah he’s pretty salty when he loses but he comes back the next week with a smug grin like nothing bad has ever happened to him. It just doesn’t doesn’t bug me that much. 

1 hour ago, frenchie said:

Panthers should consider cutting bait.  He's been below average for the better part of the last 3 years.  He's had 1 great season in an otherwise very average career.  Now this; I just don't see any logical point in holding on to him any longer...

And replace him with who?

Look, I'm not too high on Cam as a passer, but to pretend like he is just someone who you can just throw aside and replace with anyone on the fly is a pretty ridiculous take.

1 hour ago, frenchie said:

Go back watch the week 7 comeback against the Eagles as an example. And every QB misses on throws. Again, I'm not a big fan but I think you're being overly critical imo.

13 hours ago, frenchie said:

I'd wager about 95% of the hits Cam takes are his own doing...  anyway, he was only sacked 29 times this year, lowest total of his career...

Oh, so now everything is Cam's fault, and you do know there are such thing as QB hits and pressures but if you wanna just hide behind the sacks stat thats fine. 

The reality of the situation is that the Panthers organization failed Cam

13 hours ago, frenchie said:

Which does not bode well for him...

What was so obvious?  He always was a crappy passer, so it wasn't really out of the ordinary to see him throw to the feet of wide open receivers...  His shoulder seemed fine when he'd jump up and do his little first down celebration.  Also, any QB playing hurt probably shouldn't run the ball 5-8 times per game...

While I agree with your sentiment, as far as whose decision it was to play him; he probably had as much to do with it as anyone.  It's not uncommon for a player to hide injuries from trainers.  Secondly, they were 6-2 heading into week 10; there was still a lot to play for, so unless it was torn, he was playing...

While he's not terrible, you certainly have an exaggerated opinion of him...  He's middle of the road, at best.

are you proud of this post?

Seems like clickbait, but if they do a scope and it turns out he does need some substantial work done to repair damage...he certainly should sit out the year and get things done right.  Cam has taken a beating as a QB, and could probably use a year off just in general to get fully healthy.  On the surface, it seems like a bit of a cautionary tale on the prospective longevity of running QBs as a whole, when even someone built like such an absolute freakish tank of a man, still gets so badly banged up.  But 8 years into a career...it's not like even a number of more conventional pocket passers haven't ended up pretty darn beat up too.  Kinda crazy to think Cam has been around as long as he has actually.  Doesn't seem like that long to me.

On 1/16/2019 at 2:03 PM, Woz said:

Well, based on the Osweiler precedent, a 2nd round pick?

Osweiler had a much worse contract to inherit, so I'd think Bortles would be traded along with a 3rd or 4th round pick.

On 1/16/2019 at 12:26 AM, FourThreeMafia said:
On 1/15/2019 at 9:29 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Week 1 2019 is a long way away, lots can happen between now and then.

I would like this post, but I refuse to give you more likes until an investigation is launched into how many likes you have.    

Oh, we completed that a while ago. (For non-selfish reasons, mind you). Turns out it's a combination of burner accounts, buying likes, TAST/WAYTA supremacy, Baker Mayfield and my OCD in relation to people without a round number of likes (at least 50 of these likes are me when I see him at 399, 499, 599, etc...)

It's legit. Despite my best efforts to catch up.

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Oh, we completed that a while ago. (For non-selfish reasons, mind you). Turns out it's a combination of burner accounts, buying likes, TAST/WAYTA supremacy, Baker Mayfield and my OCD in relation to people without a round number of likes (at least 50 of these likes are me when I see him at 399, 499, 599, etc...)

It's legit. Despite my best efforts to catch up.

You forgot the Kate Upton and cartoon boner gifs.

It's not @LETSGOBROWNIES fault that he also is thriving member of arguably the best and one of the most active forums on this site as a Browns fan. In the name of fairness, you could, I suppose, make each of our likes worth 2/3 of a like. Since @ET80 and I are the same person, he should also give 1,000 of his likes to me to balance the scales.

On 1/19/2019 at 11:20 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

Oh, so now everything is Cam's fault, and you do know there are such thing as QB hits and pressures but if you wanna just hide behind the sacks stat thats fine. 

The reality of the situation is that the Panthers organization failed Cam

QB sacks, hits and pressures are as much a QB stat (and offensive scheme stat) as an OL stat. Time to throw vs. pressure rate. I didn't watch the Panthers much this season so I'm not sure how much is Cam and how much is the OL, but Cam was 20th in time-to-throw this season, which was about middle of the pack: https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw. Correct if I'm wrong, but I always thought Carolina was more of a vertical passing scheme too, so that accounts for some of it as well, but Cam wasn't at the top of the leaderboard last season for either average completed air yards or average intended air yards.

Archived