Cam Newton to sit out 2019?

Elky

6 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I think you let him scramble but stop running him on those GL draws where he's truck sticking LBs. He just needs to be more conservative when he runs.

At the least, use them sparingly and really drill it into Cam that he needs to protect himself when doing so. 

It's a similar concern I have four Deshaun Watson, but I also know that the coaching staff isn't telling him to run upright and throw his body into a tackle - that's just how some guys are wired in the heat of the moment. You've got to redo that wiring.

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

Maybe, just maybe, the Panthers should stop running their franchise QB 100+ times a season.

The way the Seahawks do it with Wilson works ok
They have him hand it off to the RB every time for the first 3 quarters.
Then in the 4th, after the defense is a bit tired and has seen the handoff a dozen times -  Wilson starts keeping the ball and running with decent success.
Lowers the risk for injury early on and gives Russell a slight advantage athletically, because he ain't tired

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

The way the Seahawks do it with Wilson works ok
They have him hand it off to the RB every time for the first 3 quarters.
Then in the 4th, after the defense is a bit tired and has seen the handoff a dozen times -  Wilson starts keeping the ball and running with decent success.
Lowers the risk for injury early on and gives Russell a slight advantage athletically, because he ain't tired

There's no comparison  with the Stupidity in which Cam Newton Runs and Russell Wilson. The reason Wilson is/has been successful at running is because he limits the contact,  limits the hits, avoids contact whenever possible,  doesn't seek it out.

Newton doesn't do that. He treats his 250 lb frame like a LB not a QB. Taking unnecessary hits much in the same way Vick would. Diving head first where defensive hits are legal. Not sliding feet first, not running out of bounds, fighting for those extra yards that in most cases result in a hit. 

That's why his body is breaking down, Ribs, shoulder, etc and Wilsons isn't.

Well, he got the scope.  On the one hand, the news that he didn't get major surgery is hopeful.  On the other hand, you wonder if a visit to another surgeon is on deck.   Guess we'll have to wait and see - it would be nice to get more info, but usually there's a lot of info that's left out for now. 

17 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

There's no comparison  with the Stupidity in which Cam Newton Runs and Russell Wilson. The reason Wilson is/has been successful at running is because he limits the contact,  limits the hits, avoids contact whenever possible,  doesn't seek it out.

Newton doesn't do that. He treats his 250 lb frame like a LB not a QB. Taking unnecessary hits much in the same way Vick would. Diving head first where defensive hits are legal. Not sliding feet first, not running out of bounds, fighting for those extra yards that in most cases result in a hit. 

That's why his body is breaking down, Ribs, shoulder, etc and Wilsons isn't.

He's running like that because he hasn't had a good or stable offensive line since Jordan Gross retired, people love to purposely forget about this to fit their narrative.

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

He's running like that because he hasn't had a good or stable offensive line since Jordan Gross retired, people love to purposely forget about this to fit their narrative.

Unfortunately  I am forced  to watch more Panther games then I would like living in Carolina. His OL has nothing to do with the amount of QB run plays called or checked too (especially in the RZ/Short yardage) nor the manner in which he runs them. Which is like a 250lb RB/FB.

I Don't need a narrative to state the obvious.

5 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Unfortunately  I am forced  to watch more Panther games then I would like living in Carolina. His OL has nothing to do with the amount of QB run plays called or checked too (especially in the RZ/Short yardage) nor the manner in which he runs them. Which is like a 250lb RB/FB.

I Don't need a narrative to state the obvious.

The narrative part wasn't directed towards you 

On 1/25/2019 at 9:15 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

Russ has played some equally, if not worse offensive lines and still manages to protect himself most of the time.

On 1/15/2019 at 7:56 PM, Cypher said:

There's a few reasons I don't think this is happening;

1. In 2017 in the offseason, Cam underwent a debridement of the rotator cuff. It's fair to assume he re-injured the rotator, which never fully returns strength/function. I doubt resting solves this.

2. Cam will be 30 heading into 2019, and only signed through 2020. If Rivera/Hurney are fired after 2019, I find it hard to believe Cam isn't gone with them.

3. There's no way you can extend Newton after a year away from football with no knowledge of what he'll look like on the field. Cam went 16+ games after the debridement and looked fine. He re-injured the shoulder against Pittsburgh most likely, but the following game against Detroit was arguably the best of the season.

4. His throwing motion is problematic. He creates all his torque with his upper body, putting stress and pressure on an already injured shoulder. When we sent him to a QB camp pre-2015, he shined, and then regressed in 2016, much as Wentz did from 17-18. I'm not entirely sure either QB is fixable as far as their mechanical flaws.

carson throws 3 to 1 td to int and completes 70 percent of his passes but he is in decline. yeah ok

3 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Russell never had half as many called runs either

You said Newton runs the way he does (less carefully, more like a running back than quarterback) because his offensive line is bad. Wilson has had an equally as bad, if not worse offensive line and still manages to run conservatively. 

Runs-called are not relevant within the statement “Newton runs too recklessly, especially compared to a guy like Russell Wilson”. 

17 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

You said Newton runs the way he does (less carefully, more like a running back than quarterback) because his offensive line is bad. Wilson has had an equally as bad, if not worse offensive line and still manages to run conservatively. 

Runs-called are not relevant within the statement “Newton runs too recklessly, especially compared to a guy like Russell Wilson”. 

Ok, cool

Archived